Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - Auto to manual conversion
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:50 PM
DrFeelGood
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You will need the entire wiring harness out of a manual car as well as the steering column and dash cluster and keys. You will be changing everything under the hood, nothing is shared.

I have been a mechanic for almost 30yrs. If I were to look at this job without concern for time and money, it is not a difficult swap. You need a complete running/driving parts car and you basically swap subframe for subframe, column, cluster, pcm, exhaust, wiring harnesses and then chase down the gremlins.

Getting around PATS is the most critical/difficult part. The PCM from an auto will not work as it will not sense the car is in gear and the rev limiter will kick in around 4K RPM if it even runs right.

You cannot simply work around with OBD II and Ford based cars. Stick to 06-08 parts cars, 03-05 is different. It does not matter why you want to do it, it makes no sense TO do it.

Excellent summary of what is needed. However, sometimes you dig a hole just to see how deep you can go.

I second the need for full parts vehicle.

I commend the initiative and effort! All my literature is from the earlier series (03-05) or I would be happy send you wiring diagrams and the like. I have noticed many wiring similarities between the mazdaspeed6 (MPS) and Mk. 1.5 (06-08), and those factory manuals are free online.

I really want to see this live!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome