Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - 3rd gear doesn't seem to do much
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 05:22 PM
DrFeelGood
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleIceCream View Post
@DrFeelGood
Yep, I've done a trans fluid change. Took the whole pan out and cleaned her up before I put in the third round of fluid. No more shift shock, but she's still underpowered in third. Thanks for the feedback

Of course... just thought I would mention it. In fact with dropping the pan you have done more than most.

I am guessing you are using the FS5A-EL (5-speed ATX) JATCO transmission. I have the same trans in my 2004 and it uses 3ed gear for everything. It seems to have a pathologic aversion to 2nd and will use 3rd all the way down to 6mph.

You may have worn out bands and your senses are telling you so before the computer has triggered its input/output RPM ratios to indicate as much.

I am pretty sure rebuilds are out of reach for most peoples sense of cost/benefit but you may be able to pick up a used one for relatively cheap.

If you are inclined mechanically here is a list of possible faults.

I may even have the Workshop manual on my work computer if you want to dive deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JA5A-EL Evaluation Table.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	222417  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome