Mazda 6 Forums banner

Toyota Camry looking better than the 6

13K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Get Inline 
#1 ·
looking sportier and overall better quality than 2017 and under Mazda 6s

#3 ·
We all like something different and IMO that is just butt ugly. Belongs in a Transformer movie.

I just shopped the Camry, Accord and a few others. The 2018 "6" stood out as the best car for the best price without looking like something a 16 year old would want.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure that the quote that Byakuya has in his signature says it all for me...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#9 ·
First: Taste is incredibly subjective, so we're not all going to agree.

- Better looking than previous Camry's? Yes.
- Decent-enough looking that I wouldn't mind if I HAD to drive one? Yes.
- Better looking than the 3rd gen 6? No.
- Worth the same amount as the brand new Turbo 6? Not even close.

Yup!!

#6 · (Edited)
First off, this Youtube star just needs to accept his lot in life as a used car saleperson. Thanks, but I can read a spec sheet just as well as the next guy.

The new Camry looks nice and has the features people want - no doubt about it - and I'm sure they will sell a shit-ton of them without an issue. But let's face it, the Mazda 6 has its place as the niche 3rd place runner in this segment. From what I see, the 6 and even Mazda as a brand is for those that don't want to look like everybody else. Those that value the overall driving experience rather than "what will my neighbors think?" factor. Those that want a car they can keep looking at from the window in their house or looking at while walking away in a parking lot because it just looks so damn sharp. Ever wonder why they haven't changed the rear end on these cars in 4+ years? It's because it just works!

These are the things that made me want another Mazda. These are what drew me to the 3rd gen 6. Yes, the new Camry is a fine looking mobile and I'm sure it'll drive really nice too, but I value a little bit of distinctiveness, uniqueness and individualism in my cars. Mazdas come with a rich racing heritage as the underdog that actually comes as a merit to me as well.

Sure, this new Camry will likely be more of a car than <2018 Mazda 6 models. But I can't say it would be worth the premium from buying a used 6 versus a new Camry. Especially if you buy expecting to keep the car as long as it will run.

#8 ·
Did he say $37,000 for the 4 cyl engine?! Is this in Canada or is that $USD? For $37K it better have seats stuffed with fur from extinct animals. Give me the 6 Signature for less with the upgraded engine, better interior, and an exterior that’s not dotted with warts like the front view camera and other over the top styling queues. Everything I’ve read says the Camry is improved but the Accord is still the better car. The real comparison will be Accord<>6 and even 6 versus TLX, A4, other entry level cars to see if Mazda is really punching above their weight class.

#11 ·
Reactions: Byakuya and GerryB
#13 ·
Not to mention, they specifically said that if the scope of the review covered more than just cars/sedans and included Crossovers and SUVs, Mazda would have had everything listed.

#14 ·
Its all subjective. Camry is a great car and its no fluke that its been one of the best selling vehicles in North America for over 20 years now. I bet if you log into a camry/Toyota forum, you'll have people praising its virtues over competition.

As a Mazda fanboy, i still like to believe that the Mazda6 is the best looking car in its class. The rear of Mazda6 has always been a tad conservative and i hope mazda fixes it in future refreshes. Atleast to me mazda is still the best overall package when it comes to looks, interiors and performance. Ofcourse, by no means i am questioning the ability of Toyota or Honda to produce fun cars as i eagerly look forward to the launch of the new Supra. The new Accord has won many accolades especially for its engine and handling and is now considered to be the new benchmark for the segment, but i am having a hard time liking its front.

Camrys in the last 2 generations have grown more stiffer, and to my eyes the new Camry especially in XSE trim in black and blue looks good. Perhaps its the ubiquitous presence of Camry that just makes me think they are dull compared to the mazda6 that still holds that exclusivity (probably the only positive byproduct to come from lackluster sales! )

Something i've learnt the hard way over the years is not to mess with harmless looking Toyotas wearing V6 badges, they are deceptively quick ! Its hardly a surprise that Toyota continues to use the variants of 3MZ and 2GR motors to this day in multiple applications.

Bottom line, buy what your heart desires. These cars are so close in quality and performance that one cannot go wrong no matter what they choose to buy.

#15 ·
I really like the xse red interior and all the upgrades Toyota puts in that Camry

I think the front still looks like azz and the plastic fake vents look off to me. My family has had Honda's, Toyotas in the past. Good brand, good quality.

I like Mazdas now. I enjoy how my car looks in the parking lot and how it drives.

#17 ·
Unfortunately, the new Camry front end in white looks just like an Imperial Storm-trooper to me. Its just awkward looking, like TMC is trying too hard. Sorta like Honda with the new Civic Si/R. And, only Toyota would be able to give their base engine a 25 hp boost in output...and end up with a slower car! Geez guys, what gives?

BUT, all that being said...now that Mazda has decided to go up-market and make the 6 into a semi-luxury model, and also decided to relegate the manual transmission to lowly base-model-only status, I'm going to stir the pot and say that, if I was in the market for a $35k suedo-luxury mid-sizer, I'd rather have the big V-6 mill in a Camry XSE than this new wiz-bang turbo signature 6.

#18 ·
Well, if you find yourself in the market be sure and drive them back to back. I did and IMO the turbo in the 6 is the better engine. More responsive, better mileage, just better. The industry as a whole is going smaller regarding engines, quickly heading toward (total) electrification.

I spent more time researching this purchase than for any other vehicle I've ever purchased (and there have been more than I can count) and after checking all the boxes, for this segment the Mazda 6 was the clear winner.

Also, the turbo 4 banger is not all that new as it has been in the CX-9 three years now? :wink2:

#20 ·
No stick and car testers all say that while the new Camry handles well, it doesn't have the same feel as the 6. Since the drivers feel is what made me fall in love with the six, I'm not feeling any temptation.
If I needed any further disincentive, the price difference would keep me in my wonderful 6 Touring.

#22 ·
#23 ·
I test drove the 2018 Camry LE against the 2017.5 6 Sport, and the Mazda was hands-down the better, more enjoyable car.

The new 8-speed automatic in the Camry is a complete piece of garbage. Totally sluggish off the line, and then the darned thing radically downshifts and you're suddenly at 4000 rpm just trying to keep up with the car in front of you! The 4-cyl Camry has at least 20 more HP than the Mazda 6, but you'd never know it from the way it drives.

Not to mention now that I'm seeing a bunch of them on the road, the 2018 Camry is just plain ugly. At the least the previous versions were just boring. My new 6 Touring is just complete classic elegance, by comparison. It'll look as good in 10 years as it does now.

I have no anti-Toyota bias. I drove a Scion for years, and my wife drives a 2011 Camry. The 2018 Camry is a much nicer vehicle than our 2011 overall, but the horrible ATX in the 2018 makes our 2011 feel positively zippy in comparison.

#25 ·
The new 8-speed automatic in the Camry is a complete piece of garbage. Totally sluggish off the line, and then the darned thing radically downshifts and you're suddenly at 4000 rpm just trying to keep up with the car in front of you! The 4-cyl Camry has at least 20 more HP than the Mazda 6, but you'd never know it from the way it drives.
It probably has more to do with trying to meet emissions and fuel economy/carbon emissions standards with a normally-aspirated engine/automatic transmission combo. The ECM is trying to get into the highest gear it can as quick as it can. That means you're out of the torque band (which is higher up the rpm range) when you call for more speed. Then, the tranny has to drop down 3 or 4 or more gears and you get that SUPER ANNOYING jerk from 1200 rpm to 4500 rpm! It sucks. Somehow, Toyota has produced a engine/tranny combo that makes 25 more hp and is as slow in the new Camry, as the older 178 hp combo was in a heavier car?!

This actually makes Mazda's work with the Skyactiv NA motor/automatic 6 even more impressive.

Reactions: LIMazda6
#24 ·
I think the overall package of the Camry is solid

There are little things that are not my thing..like an earlier guy said, it seems like trying too hard to be stylish.

I don't personally like the front grill of most Toyotas nowadays

And the added platics non functional vents on the taillights remind me a girl crying and her makeup is running

Attachments

#26 ·
And the added platics non functional vents on the taillights remind me a girl crying and her makeup is running
Hah! Nice one! I never thought of that...

Crying is what a new Camry owner does when he/she sees a 6 take a corner at double their speed, and looking a helluva lot better while doing it.

Reactions: callworth
#28 ·
Toyota's are overrated now of days.
IDK about you all but I notice a lot of idiot drivers in my General area tend to be Toyota vehicles, IDK if it's because they know no matter the condition/mileage that they'll still get money back from the insurance because it's a Toyota? lol Just saying...
They have zero fun factor & if you want that fun factor you'll have to spend a pretty penny on a Lexus Brand to get it. Most of the car journalist that Test drove the Camry, Accord, Altima & Mazda6 as a group all stated that the Mazda is more nimble on it's feet despite only having 1 engine option & was overall more fun to drive.

#29 ·
I think we nitpick our Mazdas more than a non owner.

But consider this, after most of us test driving these cars, we put our money into the 6.

The new Camry is nice, I like a lot of things about it (red leather, quad exhaust)

If I wanted to go power only I would go with the Accord however.

For the full package, I love my 6 obviously. It's gorgeous vs the other two

#31 ·
Toyota makes a fine, solid, dependable car... no doubt...
but, in MY highly subjective opinion, based upon MY experience.... whenever there is a knot of slow moving vehicles on the highway..... there seems to always be a Toyota, and the head of the line.
Toyota Camry.... a japanese phrase, which translates as "I don't really like to drive"
Toyota Prius... a japanese phrase which translates as "I really hate to drive, and only do so under protest"

#32 ·
Toyota makes a fine, solid, dependable car... no doubt...
but, in MY highly subjective opinion, based upon MY experience.... whenever there is a knot of slow moving vehicles on the highway..... there seems to always be a Toyota, and the head of the line.
Toyota Camry.... a japanese phrase, which translates as "I don't really like to drive"
Toyota Prius... a japanese phrase which translates as "I really hate to drive, and only do so under protest"
I agree 100%! I see this Daily!

Attachments

#33 ·
I thought the camry looked awful in pictures, really liked it in person. the black floating roof-line looks really good with tinted windows.

but the 4 cylinder has more power than the Mazda 6, two extra gears, and is still slower. no thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.