Mazda 6 Forums banner

Skyactiv-X Compression-Ignition Gas Engine

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TitaniumVT 
#1 ·
Mazda is predicting about 188 horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque from the 2.0-liter Skyactiv-X. Today’s 2.0-liter Skyactiv-G engine, as fitted to the 3, makes 155 horsepower and 150 lb-ft of torque, putting the X on a similar plane as the uplevel 3’s 184-hp 2.5-liter four. Mazda further claims the X will be up to 30 percent more efficient than the smaller Skyactiv-G. We’ll try to confirm those claims when we eventually test a production-spec Skyactiv-X in about two years when the next-gen 3 reaches dealerships.

2019 Mazda 3 with Skyactiv-X Compression-Ignition Gas Engine Prototype Drive | Review | Car and Driver

#2 ·
Just read that article. C/D pointed out one negative stating that engine knock could be detected when switching between spark plug and compression ignition. The knock can last up to one second and, because of the parameters, there isn't much that can be done about it. Mazda is trying to design some noise dampening around the block to minimize the noise and claims that the knocking isn't a wear issue. Maybe it's just me, but I thought that knock of any kind was bad on an engine if not remedied.

#4 ·
Conversely, why would the use the same engine in the top-model 6 that is also in the base model 3? Especially when there are already complaints about lack of power? Mazda will need to offer something in the 6 other than the HCCI 2.0L if they want to continue selling it here or else it's going to crash and burn.

#7 ·
Road & Track talked to a couple of the engineers at the LA Auto Show regarding the upcoming SkyActiv X engine. The good news is that the engine is compatible with the existing manual transmission. One other interesting aspect of the article is their continued insistence that the turbo and the SkyActiv X engines are NOT meant to be performance minded motors. I think that's just more evidence that a MazdaSpeed derivative isn't in our future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.