Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - Constant oil drip at drain plug
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Steeler
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Constant oil drip at drain plug

Good morning, all.

I am suffering from a constant oil drip coming from the drain plug of my wife's 2010 6. The vehicle has 69,500 miles on it. It had approximately 55,000 on it when we purchased it. I've changed the oil three times since.

I have replaced the drain plug (OEM) twice thinking it was the rubber gasket. I have used the recommended torque of 20 to 30 ft. pounds (first 20, then 30 both times) but, it still leaves a dime to quarter sized spot on my garage floor every evening after driving home.

I even took it to have the oil changed by (OEM filter and Mobil 1 5w20, of course) a "professional" and still the same result.

I am at my wit's end and am just about ready to give up on the car (in one year of owning it we have had to replace the steering wheel position sensor housing, both headlights and fog lights, deal with a nasty pop/rattle in the passenger seat that only happens when someone is sitting in it while driving), and now this pita.

I'm thinking of installing an over-sized plug or a Fumoto valve-anything to get this thing to stop leaking onto my garage floor.

Sorry for the rant and thank you in advance.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome