Mazda 6 Forums banner

Brake Rotors-Power Stop, any good?

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  MazdaMondays 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Considering purchasing these rotors, anybody have them and decent? One review said expect more noise.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Power-Stop/419/JBR1596XPR/10002/-1

While I don't have them on a third gen Mazda6 I do have cross-drilled rotors on the 240z that are clamped with 2-pot calipers. They are silent when in motion but do make a whirring/buzzing noise when braking. It sounds like the noise made by an electrical transformer (subtle buzzing) that drops in pitch as the car slows. Its loud enough to be heard over the inline-6 with headers and a muffler but not overpowering.
Hope it helps.

EDIT: They have been installed for 15+ years and still are great. I did bed them in when new and for years I tortured my poor tires with them. That car does only weigh 2400lbs with full cage and chassis bars.

#3 ·
I don't have these on the 6 but I do have a set on my truck. They are and have been excellent. I wouldn't hesitate recommending them.

Regarding the sound, it's usually dictated more by the pads than the rotors
The softer the pad the less sound, the harder (think longer lasting) the pads the more sound generated.

#6 ·
You can also try Stoptech:
Stoptech slotted rotors.
126.45084SL
126.45084SR

Find them on raceconsultingagency.com for $90ea.

These have been excellent. Stock rotors are absolute garbage. Had them turned 2x in 40k miles. I'm at 83k now... Stoptech have been awesome for 43k miles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I like slotted rotors, but NOT drilled ones. One thing to be aware of is that slotted rotors have a slight noise to them when at low speed; you won't hear it on the road, but if you have the windows down in a parking lot or similar you can hear it. Under heavy braking you can also sometimes hear it. The downside is that they typically can't be turned so they're one-use only, but then again these days most of the time you change 'em out with the pads anyway, so I'm not sure it matters much.

Why slotted? They keep the crap off the pads and also, if you really get on the brakes hard, they dissipate the gases from the pads a bit better. Is it a big difference? No, but as long as you don't ridiculously overpay for them -- why not?

#11 ·
I’ve used their performance brake pads and they performed really well on the track. I was hitting above 80mph and having to stop to 30ish mph and they never failed me!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.