Mazda 6 Forums banner

Water in the trunk. Anybody else?

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Buddha88 
#1 ·
I just noticed after removing my spare tire I had about 1/2" of water in the spare tire depression. Trunk gasket appears to be in good shape and I have no idea how it's entering. Anybody else have this problem and know where

it's coming from?

2014 Mazda 6.

#3 ·
Do we have a rear vent as stated in the brochure? I haven't checked it.

My experience was with the CR-V 98, water will drip inside everytime I use hose as I clean it. Water won't go inside if it's just raining, only when I clean it. I found out that water is passing through the vent. My solution was to put rubber to serve as a cover.

For the trunk, you might want to check the rubber seals around. A very small hole can be an avenue for it.

#4 ·
Check to see if your tail lights (particularly the reverse lights on the trunk lid) are foggy. Mine are and when I bought the car, I just assumed that it was condensation but then it rained and I discovered that the tail light seals are bad and my trunk filled with water.

#6 ·
Did you replace the gaskets/seals with OEM part?
I was already considering picking up a set of aftermarket ones when I had a little more money to spend, so I just sped up my timeline a little and bought them now. Still waiting for them to get here though.

I did pull one of the OEM ones off the other day to see if there's anything I can do in the mean time. I wish I had taken pictures, but it looks like the gasket material between the rear of the tail light housing and the trunk lid could go bad and cause the problem you're having.

#7 ·
I've noticed that on a LOT of 3rd gens, the trunk doesn't close perfectly and could be leaving a small gap between the trunk lid and the weather insulation.

Notice how on the attached, the tail light on the trunk doesn't perfectly match up with the tail light on the body? I've noticed this issue on about 30% of the 3rd gens I look at. Called corporate about it; they wouldn't do anything.

Attachments

#8 ·
There’s a method for “smoking” the compartment where you can feed it with a line that generates a smoke/fog that will leak out of any bad seals. It’s a piece of specialized equipment, maybe you could get by with a stage smoker or Halloween type smoker. Just make sure it doesn’t generate much heat or the leaking seals will be the least of your concerns.

#9 ·
Or, cut some paper strips from your 8-1/2 X 11 sheet of paper....say in a paper cutter or with scissors... and lay them across the seal in different areas. The pull / tension to remove them should be equal, all things considered, unless the trunk seal pressure is lower... and then that would be the area you might suspect would leak.

#10 ·
I'm dealing with it right now. My weather seal has a bad spot up top, and they also discovered a bumper fastener grommet was missing underneath...see pop cap in pic, it's behind that. That bottom piece missing behind that cap was letting in a ton of water in my 17. I only discovered it when I pulled the trunk floor to install a cargo net. It had been leaking for awhile... the water was nasty.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.