Drop in Performance on Newer Mazdas - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop in Performance on Newer Mazdas

Has anyone else noticed how Mazda's attempt to "upgrade to premium" has resulted in worse handling, performance, and economy?

I have read articles comparing the 2014 Mazda 6 to the 2018 Mazda 6, and the 2018 does not handle as well,is slower 0-60, and gets less MPG on the highway.

Another article pointed out the same thing comparing the 2016 Mazda CX-5 and the 2018 Mazda CX-5.It said the 2018 is a smoother ride, but doesn't handle as well, so is not as fun to drive.

Today, I read an article about the new Mazda CX-9, and they said it was no longer as fun to drive as when this generation first came out.

All these articles point out that the newer model has had it's suspension softened, probably causing the drop in handling. I have to assume the increase in sound control materials(more weight) has caused some of the drop in economy, and performance.

I guess in their "upgrade to premium", Mazda thinks the cars should ride smoother and be quieter, since they are bringing out more expensive models in each class.

I have a 2009 Miata, a 2014 Mazda 6, and had a 2011 Mazda 2. They all have a manual transmission. The reason I bought all 3 of these cars was the way they handled, and they had a manual transmission. They were FUN to drive!

I really hate to see the way Mazda is going, dropping the manuals, and prioritizing ride smoothness at the expense of handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Road noise is definitely an issue in my 2014 Mazda 6, and I lower all my cars, so their "softer suspension" would be replaced with aftermarket springs anyway.

Either way, I'm 4 years out on getting an 2018 GT-T, lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
If this is the case I’m glad I have the 2015.

Check out my build/mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eBay profile:

Instagram:

2015 Mazda 6 Sport
-Soul Red
-2.5L
-Automatic

Mod List *Always in progress*
1. Debadge (lol) 03/09/2019
2. Interior LED's 03/16/2019
3. Front Strut Tower Bar 03/23/2019
4. Front License Plate Delete (lol) 03/24/2019
5. CorkSport Axelback Exhaust 03/29/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Thanked 1,163 Times in 850 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Total and utter crap.

Take it from a guy that's owned all 3 generations of the Mazda 6. I've also driven multiple versions of the 3, CX-5 and CX-9.

Has the 6 ever been the 0-60 champ of all the midsize sedans since the 1st-gen came out 16 years ago? Nope, not that I recall. There was always something faster. But did it matter to a true driver enthusiast that knows a quarter-mile time is only a small part of the Total Driving Experience?

As for handling, Mazda did tone down the 2nd-gen 6's handling and overall balance, to try and broaden the appeal to mainstream buyers. What happened?

It flopped. And sales fell through the floor.

The 3rd-gen brought the handling/ride balance back, yet it still never was (or is) the drag racing champ. Name a more fun-to-drive midsize sedan that has stunning looks, top-notch handling, and still can handle the daily chores, without breaking the bank...

Didn't think so.

How about a compact crossover that is more durable, a better handler, and is more affordable than a CX-5? Or a large crossover that can seat 7, looks great, and handles better than most family sedans, let alone other crossovers, than a CX-9?

Yeah, I'm drawing a blank also.

The current Miata has been universally praised for it's handling and being as fun-to-drive as the 1st-gen, while being more powerful, safer, and better equipped.

As for the 3, the 3rd-gen was losing it's lustre and had lost the small-car title to redesigned Civic, but the brand-new 4th-gen has the pendulum swinging back, with most reviewers calling the 3 the NEW class leader.

As far as I'm concerned, Mazda is the ONLY car company that is adapting to 21st-century technology and market trends, while still giving a damn about the Driving Enthusiast, which is in itself a fading commodity, since millenials would rather experience life from behind an LED screen instead of a windshield...
dcoulombe likes this.

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Total and utter crap.

Take it from a guy that's owned all 3 generations of the Mazda 6. I've also driven multiple versions of the 3, CX-5 and CX-9.

Has the 6 ever been the 0-60 champ of all the midsize sedans since the 1st-gen came out 16 years ago? Nope, not that I recall. There was always something faster. But did it matter to a true driver enthusiast that knows a quarter-mile time is only a small part of the Total Driving Experience?

As for handling, Mazda did tone down the 2nd-gen 6's handling and overall balance, to try and broaden the appeal to mainstream buyers. What happened?

The 3rd-gen brought the handling/ride balance back, yet it still never was (or is) the drag racing champ. Name a more fun-to-drive midsize sedan that has stunning looks, top-notch handling, and still can handle the daily chores, without breaking the bank...

Didn't think so.

How about a compact crossover that is more durable, a better handler, and is more affordable than a CX-5? Or a large crossover that can seat 7, looks great, and handles better than most family sedans, let alone other crossovers, than a CX-9?

The current Miata has been universally praised for it's handling and being as fun-to-drive as the 1st-gen, while being more powerful, safer, and better equipped.

As for the 3, the 3rd-gen was losing it's lustre and had lost the small-car title to redesigned Civic, but the brand-new 4th-gen has the pendulum swinging back, with most reviewers calling the 3 the NEW class leader.

As far as I'm concerned,Mazda is the ONLY car company that is adapting to 21st-century technology and market trends, while still giving a damn about the Driving Enthusiast, which is in itself a fading commodity, since millenials would rather experience life from behind an LED screen instead of a windshield...
That's the truth! I don't know what qualifies as a milllienial but my 20 year old niece in law doesn't drive. If she has a license (I don't think she does) she never uses it. Her mom and grandmother drive her anywhere she needs to go. The saddest part to me is they live in the most bland, boring suburb, nothing but little boxes for houses and strip malls, there's nothing there. She never leaves it, even though it's 20 minutes to a large city and it's amenities and maybe an hour to the country. WTF!? At her age I was everywhere, and moved cross country a couple years later.

I'm new to Mazda so can't compare gens but I love my 17' It's a blast to drive and I used to hate driving. I only drove to get places, never more than necessary, but I take the Mazda out all the time for rides just for fun. I love to put on some music and drive the ocean cliffs by my house. I don't know anything about what exactly makes a car perform well, it just feels good to drive it. I was concerned about power before I bought it because I drive fast and pass often, but it's great in real world conditions. I am in sport mode a lot, probably too often, I want to save gas but it just feels better in many situations so I can't resist that dang button, sometimes it feels like the car weighs a feather, and I just fly, I love that! I do turn it off in slow city situations though.

Last edited by Brightshen; 04-21-2019 at 12:41 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:27 AM
GWL

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Total and utter crap.

Didn't think so.

As far as I'm concerned, Mazda is the ONLY car company that is adapting to 21st-century technology and market trends, while still giving a damn about the Driving Enthusiast, which is in itself a fading commodity, since millenials would rather experience life from behind an LED screen instead of a windshield...

You misunderstood, he means the 3rd generation 2014-2018 there is a drop in performance and handling with the 2.5L naturally aspirated engine.

I mentioned this already in this thread,

https://forum.mazda6club.com/consume...ml#post5027970
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Indeed. Had a 2014 model, now a 2017 (EU spec), both MT. 2017 has a softer suspension, is maybe a bit quieter. Drastical changes happened when 2018 was introduced. It is approx. 80 kg (180 lbs) heavier in the same trim level (thicker glass, extra sound deafening). Has anyone removed a 2018 door panel? I would be much interested how the doors are insulated, since in the 2014 and 2017 there is barely any insulation.

0-100 km/h times worsened for the 2018 - it takes approx. 0,5 s more.
cheesehead likes this.

2017 Mazda 6 Wagon

Last edited by M6GJSW; 04-21-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typos
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Just checked the 2017 vs. 2018 EU specs: there is approx 140 kg (300 lbs!) weight difference. Since the engine produces the same amount of power, no wonder the car is slower and less efficient, but on the other hand more comfortable and quieter - some would say more refined.

2017 Mazda 6 Wagon
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Total and utter crap.

Didn't think so.

As pointed out by another contributor, I was comparing the older and newer models within the SAME generation of the 6, CX-5, and CX-9. I was stating that many testers and owners say the newer models don't handle as well as the older models(in the SAME generation).

The handling is more important to me than the 0-60 times and the noise level. That is what makes a Mazda "fun to drive". If Mazda wants to make their cars quieter, adding more weight, which affects 0-60 times and MPG, so be it, but leave the suspension alone, so as not to mess up the handling.

That is why I bought a Mazda 6 instead of a Toyota Camry, the way it handles. I really like my 2014 Mazda 6 and my 2009 Miata. I have not driven any of the newer models, but I drove my daughter's 2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD, and could not believe how well it drove and handled, compared to driving my friend's 2016 RAV4.

I just don't want to see Mazda lose what made many of us buy a Mazda, the "fun to drive" aspect.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's not all that hard to get 2-3db of sound level improvement out of the 2014-16 "6" without adding much in the way of mass -- maybe 50lbs total. Now if you want more than that or simply go "scattershot" then the mass comes on FAST, even though the *money* aspect doesn't go up all that much more.

I made an utterly enormous difference in my 2015 and it didn't have any impact on handling or performance at all. But I stopped when I got where I was ok with the results, instead of trying to turn it into a Lexus in the cabin. I could have done that but the cost in terms of mass and performance would have been considerable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page