post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 fog lights?

I have a 2018 Sport so I assumed no fog lights since most base models don't. The new front end has no locations for them but when I look at a few internet sites they claim fogs are integrated into the main headlight units. https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the...cation-mazda6/ Can anyone with a 2018 other than Sport confirm whether they have fog lamps or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Thanked 1,167 Times in 854 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Technically, no.

However, their wording hints that the headlamps themselves act also as a foglamp, which I can understand. Having driven mine for close to a year now, including a ton of night driving, I have to admit I've never had a better set of OEM headlights.

My '10, despite having HIDs, had a clear darkened area right in front of the bumper, in which the fogs filled in. On my '18, there is no drop in intensity from the distant focal point all the way to the front of the car, at least from the driver's seat. The LEDs do an excellent job of spreading out the light evenly and brightly, and the adaptive feature (where the outside unit actually turns toward the direction you are steering) just makes it that much better.

So, IMO you really don't need fogs for added lighting. That is, unless you want to be an assclown and add a set just to blind oncoming drivers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Grand Touring Reserve here, with the upgraded curve adaptive headlights.

I will say that if you look at exterior of the car at night, the headlights do a good job of the lighting up the surface of the road directly in front of the car like fogs would. The headlights also provide a nice wide beam pattern.

When they say "integrated in the headlight" I take it to mean that the headlights are designed to light up the space fogs normally would.

Kia actually killed the fog lights on the 2016+ Optima intially because the LED headlights made them redundant, but they were brought back with the 2018s due to popular demand for the looks.

They probably kept the fogs on the CX-5 and CX-9 because the headlights are higher off the ground compared to the sedans.

EDIT: @Mz6GreyGhost beat me to it. Same exact car as me as well.

2018 Mazda 6

Grand Touring Reserve
Deep Crystal Blue Exterior
Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I appreciate your quick replies, @Mz6GreyGhost and @TechZeke. I'm just now asking because we had some torrential rain this morning and I feel it's the first time my lights have been "challenged." I assume our headlamps are different because I don't have the adaptive feature neither do I have the LED design elements on GreyGhost's avatar. Is it possible that I'm missing this "faux fog light" that you guys have? Also, I wonder if it's possible to easily (plug n play) install your headlights on mine.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I attached a photo of the ground directly in front of the car when the headlights are on. I would assume that your headlights should be identical, you just don’t have the curve adaptive feature. Also, IIRC, white light tends to struggle more during poor weather than yellow light.

On a side note, being in San Antonio I was probably sleeping through that same storm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DC46149-2B13-4771-AB0D-9154C1BA64F9_1555671246616.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	227428  

2018 Mazda 6

Grand Touring Reserve
Deep Crystal Blue Exterior
Black Interior
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I believe you're right about visibility in bad weather and color temperature of LED's. I guess I'll do a little bit more research about my headlights.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
GT here. I initially thought I’d miss having fog lights, but I don’t. I’m really happy with the headlights on this car. I hate driving our 2016 CX-5 sport with its crappy halogens that look really orange colored and dim in comparison to the LEDs in the 6.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page