Hood gas strut lifter kit? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hood gas strut lifter kit?

I couldn't find anything on this in the 3rd Gen threads, so here goes:

I'm looking for a bonnet hood gas strut damper lifter kit that's <$100 and doesn't require drilling. Found these on ebay but don't like buying something w/ no reviews. I'm guessing that there's a range so a universal or other model kit may work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonnet-Hood....c100227.m3827

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mazda-6....c100227.m3827

Thanks,
Stephen '14 Mazda 6

2014 Touring 64K mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Off Ebay, from Poland. Was $54.xx shipped.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 93blkongreenpro For This Useful Post:
stephenmiata (Today)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! Looks a lot like the second link. Worth a shot at <$40 and I can always measure/spec the shocks if they need replacing.

2014 Touring 64K mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
something wrong with the free prop rod?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1219 View Post

In some respects, yes. As a mechanic, I wish the prop rod was never invented, they get in the way when working under the hood for most things outside of basic maintenance.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
They get in the way. Every car that I have owned I have managed to retrofit hood struts into them. Convenience and a overall cleaner looking engine bay when the hood is open. Also adds that little bit of class. Most car hoods, hell, even my 2007 GMC Yukon, only have 1 strut, so I dont know why on my 31k GT, that it does not come from the factory with a hood strut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
In some respects, yes. As a mechanic, I wish the prop rod was never invented, they get in the way when working under the hood for most things outside of basic maintenance.
If you are under the hood period, it does in fact get in the way. I've had 2 hoods fall on me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 AM

If you, as a mechanic, cant work around a prop rod, you are a terrible mechanic. Take the hood off if you have to. Those gas struts wear out and cost money to replace. And when they get weak, the hood will fall on you. If you paid $31k for a 6, you have bigger issues to deal with then worrying about a prop rod.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
If you, as a mechanic, cant work around a prop rod, you are a terrible mechanic. Take the hood off if you have to. Those gas struts wear out and cost money to replace. And when they get weak, the hood will fall on you. If you paid $31k for a 6, you have bigger issues to deal with then worrying about a prop rod.
You claim mechanic to be terrible if the hood falls on them, but then suggests to remove the hood? You sir are full of it.

And who said that I paid $31k for my 6? I said my 6 was $31k. I paid $14k with 46k miles. And yes, my 6 original sell price was 31k as it has all of the options; MRCC, lane departure, the works. Excuse me if your 6 sport new was $21k.

And if replacing $10 hood struts are an issue for you, then you have other problems. My 07 Yukon is 12 years old and has 156,xxx miles on the original hood struts. And never once has it fell on me.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93blkongreenpro View Post
You claim mechanic to be terrible if the hood falls on them, but then suggests to remove the hood? You sir are full of it.

And who said that I paid $31k for my 6? I said my 6 was $31k. I paid $14k with 46k miles. And yes, my 6 original sell price was 31k as it has all of the options; MRCC, lane departure, the works. Excuse me if your 6 sport new was $21k.

And if replacing $10 hood struts are an issue for you, then you have other problems. My 07 Yukon is 12 years old and has 156,xxx miles on the original hood struts. And never once has it fell on me.

No, thats not what I said at all. I said if you cant work around a prop rod you are a terrible mechanic. Which is true. Hopefully your hood isnt open that often to begin with. If you have serious work to do and need serious access, remove the hood, takes 5 minutes tops. My point is you have a greater chance of a hood falling on you with struts than a prop rod, which if properly secured, will not fail. Ever.

You implied your car should have hood struts because it was a $31K car. Was it really? Did anyone actually pay that much for it, ever? Probably not. Just thought that was a poor example. And I dont believe the price of any vehicle to be the determining factor if hood struts should be expected. They add weight and fail eventually. The slight inconvenience is a small trade off and I give mazda credit for being smart about it. But people love to tinker and throw money at their cars, so adding hood struts via aftermarket is an easy way to fill that need. But is it really a smart choice? I think not. And quality hood struts don't cost $10. Garbage ones do. Guess you wouldn't know since you never replaced yours. GM finally uses a quality part, and its the hood struts. Good to know.

Last edited by mach1219; 04-15-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
No, thats not what I said at all. I said if you cant work around a prop rod you are a terrible mechanic. Which is true. Hopefully your hood isnt open that often to begin with. If you have serious work to do and need serious access, remove the hood, takes 5 minutes tops. My point is you have a greater chance of a hood falling on you with struts than a prop rod, which if properly secured, will not fail. Ever.

You implied your car should have hood struts because it was a $31K car. Was it really? Did anyone actually pay that much for it, ever? Probably not. Just thought that was a poor example. And I dont believe the price of any vehicle to be the determining factor if hood struts should be expected. They add weight and fail eventually. The slight inconvenience is a small trade off and I give mazda credit for being smart about it. But people love to tinker and throw money at their cars, so adding hood struts via aftermarket is an easy way to fill that need. But is it really a smart choice? I think not. And quality hood struts don't cost $10. Garbage ones do. Guess you wouldn't know since you never replaced yours. GM finally uses a quality part, and its the hood struts. Good to know.
You are assuming that I am referring to my 14GT with the hood falling and I am not. Inwas referring to my 1993 Mazda Protege that I owned for 12 years and when I sold it has 299,980 miles on it, 160,000 of those miles were put on by me. So yes, I spent a bit of time working under, inside and on the car. The hood fell once early in ownership and I retrofitted hood struts on it and guess what, it never fell again. Same story on a 94 Mazda 626. Out of all the work I did on my protege, the only time the hood came off was to remove the motor. I'm always a one man squad, so removing and replacing the hood with decent alignment is a tad bit more hassle that 5 minutes for this terrible mechanic.

And I'm sure it's more 300,000+ mile LT/LS motors on the road than 200,000+ mile Mazdas combined.

Also, the orginal sales paperwork was in the glove box when I purchased my car, so yes, the actual financed price for my particular Mazda 6 was $31k and some change out the door. So yes, someone actually paid that much for a 2014 Mazda 6 GT will all the bells and whistles, instead of buying a sport or touring and trying to add all the crap after the fact.

Last edited by 93blkongreenpro; 04-15-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in