Infotainment system suddenly felt a need to make random phone calls - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Archerfish

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Infotainment system suddenly felt a need to make random phone calls

This week I had a few instances of my car calling a random contact without my input. I thought they might have been "bag calls" pressure from all my junk stuffed in it, but this afternoon, it went nuts! It started making call after call, and I was just rushing to hang up quickly, but it would immediately redial. It called someone I work for 3 times, (we only text so she was concerned), a co worker I haven't seen in 3-4 years and a car salesman I should have deleted but forgot. The only way to make it stop was to pull over and shut off the car. When I stopped I disconnected bluetooth it on my phone and when I started the car back up I did a reset. I learned the reset after having a screen freeze awhile back. It seemed to work but time will tell. It also changed the radio station a couple times this week.

Any ideas about what that was? I was trying to take a relaxing drive down the cliffs near my house and stop to watch the sunset over the ocean. This was not relaxing!

Does my car need an exorcism, or medium to rid it of a poltergeist? Does it want me to talk to it more often so it doesn't need to call people? It was so bizarre!

Edit: It's a 2017 GT. I've had it about 3 months, was first non dealer owner and it has around 4500mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
I couldn't help but laugh when you said about the car salesman that you should have deleted. Exorcism? You make a great funny post!

This reminds of @Mazda6Suspension but he is now banned. I wonder what username will he use.

Have you checked your phone? I mean, I am suspecting that it is a phone issue instead of the infotainment.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
I couldn't help but laugh when you said about the car salesman that you should have deleted. Exorcism? You make a great funny post!

This reminds of @Mazda6Suspension but he is now banned. I wonder what username will he use.

Have you checked your phone? I mean, I am suspecting that it is a phone issue instead of the infotainment.
It could be, but the phone is pretty new. Also, the radio stations changing leads me to think it's the infotainment, it changed between the 2 favorites I had saved, it wasn't just a random station, and the way it happened didn't feel like it would have been something I accidentally did. IDK, I hope it was a software glitch, and a reset does it.

I'm definitely me and was never here under another name, and I've never been banned from anywhere I can't even imagine how one gets banned from a car forum. I'm pretty chill when no one is talking politics

Edit:It called that car salesman 5-6 times, it always called him until it switched things up today. the first time it called him I apologized and tried to hang up, but he tried to get me to start talking... He's deleted from my phone and car now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightshen View Post
It could be, but the phone is pretty new. Also, the radio stations changing leads me to think it's the infotainment, it changed between the 2 favorites I had saved, it wasn't just a random station, and the way it happened didn't feel like it would have been something I accidentally did. IDK, I hope it was a software glitch, and a reset does it.

I'm definitely me and was never here under another name, and I've never been banned from anywhere I can't even imagine how one gets banned from a car forum. I'm pretty chill when no one is talking politics

Edit:It called that car salesman 5-6 times, it always called him until it switched things up today. the first time it called him I apologized and tried to hang up, but he tried to get me to start talking... He's deleted from my phone and car now!
I apologize, I never implied that you have another account. I know you didn't take offense, but I just want to be clear.

I've heard that a dying battery can cause some sort of abnormal operation on a car. You might want to check it out.

Reset for the infotainment is by pressing "mute", "Home", and "back" button simultaneously and holding it for about 5 seconds. Anyone, please correct me if this wrong.
Brightshen likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
Could be a number of things and not necessarily the MZ3 system. Couple of recent examples:

One of my co-workers had his Galaxy Note 8 hacked. Started sending random text messages to all his Favorites contacts trying to create some kind of romantic conspiracy between co-workers and his family. It was somewhat hilarious but it was like rapid-fire texts. He ended up having to get his phone flashed to stop it.

I also know that the most recent Android Pie update has caused issues. Some people have been known to accidentally call people after texting them. I also have issues with Android Auto where the app takes up to 2min to shut off after the car is shut off. If I grab my phone the wrong way, I end up calling people I didn't mean to.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
I also have issues with Android Auto where the app takes up to 2min to shut off after the car is shut off. If I grab my phone the wrong way, I end up calling people I didn't mean to.
^----This----^ happens to me quite frequently.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It did felt like being hacked because I could watch it on the screen go through the steps, even clicking on the letter to choose a contact. It looked like someone was pushing buttons and moving the controls, but I don't think I was hacked. The car system was definitely doing it, outside of the car my phone has been fine. I haven't any issues since I did the reset. Hopefully, that will fix it. If not, I'm due for my first routine service pretty soon and can have it looked at then. It was just a very strange experience and I wasn't too happy that it called one of my employers 3 times, but we had a laugh about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in