3rd Gen Weight Reduction Ideas/Tips? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
3rd Gen Weight Reduction Ideas/Tips?

There isn't much information on weight reduction for the 3rd Gen 6, if anyone has any ideas or tips please share! I've been trying to work on weight reduction before I do more significant mods such as wheels, exhaust and ECU tune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my build/mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eBay profile:

Instagram:

2015 Mazda 6 Sport
-Soul Red
-2.5L
-Automatic

Mod List *Always in progress*
1. Debadge (lol) 03/09/2019
2. Interior LED's 03/16/2019
3. Front Strut Tower Bar 03/23/2019
4. Front License Plate Delete (lol) 03/24/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Are you planning to race? You can remove the seats, but that won't be practical. You might want to replace the seats instead. I have seen the front seats replaced with RECARO but I'm not sure if this is possible for backseats.

Quote:
Since RECARO Automotive Seating launched its first sports seats in 1965, it has been setting standards for car seats for many years.*The world's first retrofit sports seats, the world's lightest car seat, the most innovative commercial car seat, or a new sports seat with a modern composite structure are all RECARO's products.
You can also remove the foams in the doors. I have no idea how "heavy" those light materials are but surely, the car will be noisier. Sound quality of your stereo might be affected. Going to the extreme is removing the door covers.

On the day of the race, you can leave the spare tire in your paddock and everything else that is removable like tools and car carpets.

Carbon fiber hood is also an option. I just don't know the significant effect but it should contribute in the over all weight reduction. Replacing the rims with lightweight alloy wheels should be good but you have mentioned it.

If I may add, the driver! You can reduce your weight and maintain it at the minimum BMI.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Other than removing the spare tire, jack, and trunk mat thing, I dont see much else you could remove without making your interior look like ass. Maybe remove the carpeted trim in the trunk too.

The exhaust on this car is pretty heavy if I recall correctly, as are the wheels, so I bet those are gonna be your best bet after tossing everything in the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Curious as to why you want to reduce the weight and how much you're trying to reduce it.

Without turning it into a race care (striping it down) there's not a lot you can do besides the trunk area as mentioned.

The most effective weight reduction comes by reducing the un sprung weight. Tires and rims, light weight rotors and calipers (if available) would make a noticeable difference as these are un sprung weight items.
dasrider likes this.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
Are you planning to race? You can remove the seats, but that won't be practical. You might want to replace the seats instead. I have seen the front seats replaced with RECARO but I'm not sure if this is possible for backseats.

You can also remove the foams in the doors. I have no idea how "heavy" those light materials are but surely, the car will be noisier. Sound quality of your stereo might be affected. Going to the extreme is removing the door covers.

On the day of the race, you can leave the spare tire in your paddock and everything else that is removable like tools and car carpets.

Carbon fiber hood is also an option. I just don't know the significant effect but it should contribute in the over all weight reduction. Replacing the rims with lightweight alloy wheels should be good but you have mentioned it.

If I may add, the driver! You can reduce your weight and maintain it at the minimum BMI.

I don't really plan on racing/tracking, I just wanted to do little things to reduce the weight so that the mods that come after can benefit. Although it's a small effect I also want to reduce the weight to increase the car's efficiency. Thanks for the solid tips!

Check out my build/mods:

eBay profile:

Instagram:

2015 Mazda 6 Sport
-Soul Red
-2.5L
-Automatic

Mod List *Always in progress*
1. Debadge (lol) 03/09/2019
2. Interior LED's 03/16/2019
3. Front Strut Tower Bar 03/23/2019
4. Front License Plate Delete (lol) 03/24/2019
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Maybe get out of the car? Kick your passengers out?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:51 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
I swapped my 19's for 17's, saved 10lbs per corner.

At least I have chicken- Leeroy Jenkins

v5.0 and counting
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 774 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2833 Post(s)
Thanked 4,040 Times in 2,837 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubiGT View Post
I swapped my 19's for 17's, saved 10lbs per corner.
I swapped my 19s for 20s and still lost about the same because I went with fragile TSW Nurburgrings haha.
Kalalicious likes this.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I know this is a car forum, but with sportbikes every bit of weight loss can make a difference. Some folks get so caught in shaving a few grams here and there with titanium bolts, lightweight (but fragile) chaindrives, etc. But what a lot of people seem to forget is if you shed a few pounds yourself that can make an even bigger difference.

But yeah, if you're not racing the thing and still want to daily drive it, ditch the spare tire and accessories and get a lighter wheel/tire combo. Aftermarket exhaust will be a hair lighter as well.
Kalalicious likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 774 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2833 Post(s)
Thanked 4,040 Times in 2,837 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
I know this is a car forum, but with sportbikes every bit of weight loss can make a difference. Some folks get so caught in shaving a few grams here and there with titanium bolts, lightweight (but fragile) chaindrives, etc. But what a lot of people seem to forget is if you shed a few pounds yourself that can make an even bigger difference.

But yeah, if you're not racing the thing and still want to daily drive it, ditch the spare tire and accessories and get a lighter wheel/tire combo. Aftermarket exhaust will be a hair lighter as well.
I wasn't gonna say it, but that's always in the back of my mind when I see people who are larger doing things like getting lightweight seats, removing spare tires and whatnot. A human being can weigh a LOT and it is the cheapest thing to modify (free).
Kalalicious likes this.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page