Mazda Connect - upgrade to Mazda3 2019 ver? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MZ6Alex

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Mazda Connect - upgrade to Mazda3 2019 ver?

Hello guys,

now that Mazda 3 is out, I went trough the first reviews.
One of the improvements - also over the 6 - are on Mazda Connect as well as the central 7'' display with speedometer and other info. Especially for the 7'' central display it seems that there are much more options.

My question is: according also to your previous experience, do you think that will be possible to upgrade the Connect also on the current version of the Mazda 6?

UncleZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Have a link for the review? Still not much out there as far as details. The Mazda 3 should be using the same MZ3 system as the Mazda 6, so it's plausible that if the 3 is using an updated version that it will be available for the 6 as well at some point.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Afaik every Mazda vehicle advertised as of today to have MazdaConnect, has the exact same head unit inside it (excluding country variant differences).

However, the new Mazda3 appears to have a slightly wider display and different HMI. This would lead me to believe with about 75% confidence it has new hardware inside it. Aka, an entirely new generation infotainment system. This would also make sense because the current gen MazdaConnect is 5+ years old now from a consumer point of view and the hardware is at least 7+ years old from an industry point of view. A lot has changed between then and now, so it would be extremely surprising to me if Mazda kept the current hardware.

So, can the current gen be updated to the new system? I'm sure with enough technical expertise, yes. But, it's not likely to be as easy as a software update.
The Following User Says Thank You to MZ6Alex For This Useful Post:
unclez (01-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ6Alex View Post
Afaik every Mazda vehicle advertised as of today to have MazdaConnect, has the exact same head unit inside it (excluding country variant differences).

However, the new Mazda3 appears to have a slightly wider display and different HMI. This would lead me to believe with about 75% confidence it has new hardware inside it. Aka, an entirely new generation infotainment system. This would also make sense because the current gen MazdaConnect is 5+ years old now from a consumer point of view and the hardware is at least 7+ years old from an industry point of view. A lot has changed between then and now, so it would be extremely surprising to me if Mazda kept the current hardware.

So, can the current gen be updated to the new system? I'm sure with enough technical expertise, yes. But, it's not likely to be as easy as a software update.

Yeah, makes a lot of sense what you say.
I am curious to see what they will do with Mazda6 updates during 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
Have a link for the review? Still not much out there as far as details. The Mazda 3 should be using the same MZ3 system as the Mazda 6, so it's plausible that if the 3 is using an updated version that it will be available for the 6 as well at some point.

Just search on YouTube

Especially the 7'' in the central console looks to be much more configurable than the one on the 6 and, I am not sure about current setup of the Connect, but on Mazda 3 version I think thera are a lot of info about the car... like PSI for each tyre as far as I understand... is it the same on Mazda 6?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Hadn't even realized the interior videos!

The touch functionality is gone! Woo! Frankly if you already have the ergo controller it's nearly useless anyways. (Cue the upset...)
I can tell just by the performance of the HMI there's new hardware in there. There's even an interesting circular menu animation, but nonetheless the high contrast and simplistic HMI design looks good! Also, it looks like instant replay has finally be brought back for SXM with the addition of channel icons. Maybe this means ota album artwork as well... Hopefully they'll have one at the NYC auto show this spring so I can get a better look at things.

The 18' Mazda6 doesn't have individual tire pressure readouts which it really should in today's day and age. Even the Signature variant I have doesn't have it. Only a dummy light. I couldn't find a video where they explicitly say it's been added to the new Mazda3, but if that's true it's about time.
cliff likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Well that sucks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
From what I can see there are some slight hardware differences, too. The screen/no touch is one. In the interior pics, notice the center console buttons are laid out a little differently. The volume button also seems to have a reverse/fast forward function.

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:52 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
You can also hold the volume button down to power the unit down, according to Tsujida-san (Chief designer of the new 3) the top of the commander knob is touch sensitive and its capable of map zooming and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page