post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Changing Radio Stations?

Read a review of the Mazda6 and saw this: "We’re also over Mazda’s infotainment system, which requires too much twisting and poking of the infotainment dial. It shouldn’t be so difficult to change radio stations." I've read similar comments about the Mazda6 radio in other reviews.

Isn't it possible to skip to the next or previous preset station using the steering wheel controls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny68 View Post
Read a review of the Mazda6 and saw this: "We’re also over Mazda’s infotainment system, which requires too much twisting and poking of the infotainment dial. It shouldn’t be so difficult to change radio stations." I've read similar comments about the Mazda6 radio in other reviews.

Isn't it possible to skip to the next or previous preset station using the steering wheel controls?
Yes it is, as long as the stations you want to switch to have been set as favorites. If not you need to go into the radio settings, tune to desired stations and mark them as favorites.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks Bill_k. I was hoping it was that simple. I wonder why journalists keep making a point about it? Maybe they don't take the time to set the presets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I actually thought it was kind of cool how, when you use the commander knob to select a station, it shows on-screen like turning a knob on an old style counter radio.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a fan of the scan feature which temporarily puts the 5 or 6 strongest radio signals into the favorites list. It was a button on my '90 MX-6 and 2006 6, and is still there in the menu somewhere. Helpful when traveling to different places. (Of course having XM bypasses this somewhat but sometimes you want a local station).

/'16 GT Deep Crystal Blue / Black
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have made a post about this a few weeks ago. The problem is that the infotainment does not show the station info as you switch the stations if you are not on the radio screen. It is a huge oversight by Mazda and I am sure the next gen infotainment will have that feature. The old one did too. You shouldn't have to be on the radio screen to be able to switch stations, you should be able to switch them from the steering wheel at any time, and no matter what screen you are on.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
I have made a post about this a few weeks ago. The problem is that the infotainment does not show the station info as you switch the stations if you are not on the radio screen. It is a huge oversight by Mazda and I am sure the next gen infotainment will have that feature. The old one did too. You shouldn't have to be on the radio screen to be able to switch stations, you should be able to switch them from the steering wheel at any time, and no matter what screen you are on.
I agree with you that the screen should display the current station even when not on the audio screen, but you can switch between saved favorite stations from the steering wheel controls regardless of which screen you're on.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_k View Post
I agree with you that the screen should display the current station even when not on the audio screen, but you can switch between saved favorite stations from the steering wheel controls regardless of which screen you're on.
You are correct. I meant that you should be able to switch even the non favorite stations regardless of which display is on.
LIMazda6 likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The organization and display of information on the infotainment screen and the dash are not a strength of this car.
MazdaRex likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
I've found that learning the system is key to the simplicity.

Setting the system up for the way you want/how you want to use it is imperative.

For short drives I generally just listen to FM. Regardless of which part of the system is displaying one touch of the button by the command knob brings up the favorites. Yes, I do have to preset them and then scroll through them but it's not much different than trying to select a preset button to push. Longer drives I listen to my Amazon music which has over 1,500 songs stored. Again, it's about setting it up (learning how to best use it) so that it's easy to use.

I'll admit it took a while to learn the system, especially as this isn't my DD but once learning my way around I don't find it much more difficult than any of the others out there. They're all different and all have their strong and weak points. They all require you to learn how to use their system.

Read what the "experts" think about the Infiniti infotainment system...

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page