Brand New 2018, Steering feels.. heavy? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:53 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2776 Post(s)
Thanked 4,014 Times in 2,820 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
Any thoughts on how much the squishy Falken tires are contributing to this? To me, most of the heavy feeling is stemming from the fact that steering response feels slower and less precise because the sidewalls of these tires is so soft that it’s like driving on balloons. The car feels like it wants to plow through corners because the front tires are trying to roll over onto the sides, contributing slightly to a bit of body roll. With mildly aggressive cornering, you can get some scrubbing on the sidewalls of these tires without much difficulty. It’s just a touring tire, not performance tire. Even a “high performance all-season” tire should feel a good deal more solidly planted and more responsive to steering input than this “touring” tire will.
I think you're on the money here. I run "high performance all seasons" for summer and dedicated Blizzaks for winter and there's a noticeable difference in steering feel. There's definitely a more "floaty" feel to the much softer winter tires, and combined with them being on 17" rims instead of 20, I get a bit more body roll when cornering hard - which is why I usually tone down my stints of 'fun' driving while I have the winters on.
Kalalicious likes this.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
Any thoughts on how much the squishy Falken tires are contributing to this? To me, most of the heavy feeling is stemming from the fact that steering response feels slower and less precise because the sidewalls of these tires is so soft that it’s like driving on balloons. The car feels like it wants to plow through corners because the front tires are trying to roll over onto the sides, contributing slightly to a bit of body roll. With mildly aggressive cornering, you can get some scrubbing on the sidewalls of these tires without much difficulty. It’s just a touring tire, not performance tire. Even a “high performance all-season” tire should feel a good deal more solidly planted and more responsive to steering input than this “touring” tire will.
What you are describing is different to what the OP was saying and what I was saying. To me, the car feels better when driven hard. When driven at slow speeds, that is when I feel the heavy steering is a hindrance.
But yeah I agree the falkens this car comes with are not a great tire. Not only they are not appropriate for agressive driving, they are also too narrow. A car of that size and power should have 235 tires all around at the minimum. If I keep it long enough I will definitely upgrade the tires.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Went from 15 Sport to 18 Sport and the steering does feel heavier even with the 17" wheels so that's not the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I personally adored the steering feel, it felt as good as my focus st. drove the new altima and my goodness it was so light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page