post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
GWL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Terraclean Oil Treatment

My Mazda dealership adds Terraclean Oil Treatment when getting oil change, has anybody else used this product?
I'm not so concerned with the added $15 cost but if it does more harm.

Service advisor says;
  • Reduces friction and engine wear
  • Resists sludging and improves all oils
  • Prevents oxidization
  • Safe for use with gasoline and diesel engines

Adding it to new oil during an oil change also gives you extra life time warranty on internal engine components . Covering costs of repairs up too $4000 after your warranty expires .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
This treatment is nothing more than a way for the dealer to make money.

Have they given you this warranty in writing? I'd bet Mazda would deny any warranty on your engine if it fails if they find out you've added this.

I would NEVER allow any additive to be added to my engine.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
GWL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
That's what I thought too, I already have an extended 3 year warranty.

No notice given, scammers.

http://www.terraclean.net/product/en...t-part-206220/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:53 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Not necessary - I wouldn't do it personally. Just use a good oil (IE. Not 0W20 or Mobil 1), change oil on time and I see no reason why you would need any sort of oil treatment.

I used Shell Rotella 5W40, a good diesel oil for one oil change interval in my BMW (Naturally aspirated Inline-6) with very good results for cleaning the engine's crankcase. The vehicle has roughly 130K KM on it. The oil filter on these BMW's is not encased in metal - Before using this diesel oil the oil filter came out disgusting - all clogged up with shit and just not clean. After Rotella the filter came out far cleaner. with zero sludge. I mention this because Mazda's use about the same amount of oil as BMW (which is quite more than average) except Mazda's oil filter is about Half the size. However, Mazda's 2.5L is DI while my BMW is port injected. Port does not dilute the fuel as much meaning the gasoline acts as a detergent and should help sludge - In theory. However too much of a detergent substance in your crankcase will obviously damage metal inside your engine hence why fuel dilution can be serious. Whether your engine will get dirty with higher mileage it is hard to say unless you cut open the metal casing in our oil filters to look inside. The only thing I can really suggest to all this is always change your engine oil on time with DI motors. Especially considering we use 0W20 here in north america which is roughly the same viscosity at 5W40 after 8000KM of use, This is all certainly something to consider when it comes to using the correct oil.

There are oils out there such as Motul which is thicker and has crucial additives for DI motors to help strengthen the engine oils ability for resisting fuel-shear. Just look for an engine oil that has additives/properties specially formulated to reduce shearing.
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Get Inline For This Un-useful Post:
Clay Easton (09-22-2018)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
^^^ People - more garbage spewed.^^^ We do not drive BMW's nor is this a BMW forum. Please do not use Diesel oil.

Also, the Mazda OEM oil filter is an excellent filter. Size does not matter when it comes to filters, it comes down to the internals.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrive For This Useful Post:
Clay Easton (09-22-2018)
The Following User Says NO Thank You to idrive For This Un-useful Post:
Get Inline (10-03-2018)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
My Mazda dealership adds Terraclean Oil Treatment when getting oil change, has anybody else used this product?
I'm not so concerned with the added $15 cost but if it does more harm.

Service advisor says;
  • Reduces friction and engine wear
  • Resists sludging and improves all oils
  • Prevents oxidization
  • Safe for use with gasoline and diesel engines

Adding it to new oil during an oil change also gives you extra life time warranty on internal engine components . Covering costs of repairs up too $4000 after your warranty expires .
Sounds like BS to me. A healthy engine needs no extra additives. A decent oil has any additives the engine wants. I would say no to that and even be a little wary of that dealer.
idrive likes this.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
In the dealership world, that is called a Profit Center. In my head, that is called Snake Oil.

Just say "no".
idrive likes this.

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon
2017 MX5 Grand Touring
2016 CX5 Grand Touring

I work at a Mazda dealer

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the end of the day as long as you stay on top of your Oil change log, use the correct oil (Non-diesel) & oil grade, then you should be perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with Mobil 1, I've ran many cars with it & zero issues. So don't get sucked into a dealership scam on "Additives" or people misleading you with incorrect information & rambling on about their personal experiments with cars that aren't MAZDA.
MazdaMetalhead likes this.

2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Spd Manual Deep Crystal Blue Metallic- Cork Sport SRI w/Cold Air Box, Racing Beat Exhaust, JBR Short Shift Plate, Full Kicker Audio.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Never use such things and don't let anyone else put them in your engine. There is no possible way to know what the chemistry of those additives will do in combination with the additive package in any given specific oil; you're playing "chemistry lab" with your engine which is an extraordinarily bad idea.

Any decent 0w20 oil is not only perfectly fine but should produce near-zero UOA wear metals over a normal change interval. I have a slew of results that factually show this. One thing I do recommend and do myself is to use the OE filter; my local dealer offers "4 for 3" on those which means I wind up paying about $25 for four filters; there's simply no reason to buy aftermarket and get unknown filtering quality with the OE's available at a reasonable price and I have the UOA results showing that Mazda did a good job in their oil filter design.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Never use such things and don't let anyone else put them in your engine. There is no possible way to know what the chemistry of those additives will do in combination with the additive package in any given specific oil; you're playing "chemistry lab" with your engine which is an extraordinarily bad idea.

Any decent 0w20 oil is not only perfectly fine but should produce near-zero UOA wear metals over a normal change interval. I have a slew of results that factually show this. One thing I do recommend and do myself is to use the OE filter; my local dealer offers "4 for 3" on those which means I wind up paying about $25 for four filters; there's simply no reason to buy aftermarket and get unknown filtering quality with the OE's available at a reasonable price and I have the UOA results showing that Mazda did a good job in their oil filter design.
A couple UOA' on One engine is not a "slew" of results. It's actually quite the opposite. If we got more people to do UOA reports on engines with worse metal wear values than yours, ones that burned oil, etc. and the report was able to prove that 0W20 is good for engines that aren't in as good shape as yours, then I would be convinced. Otherwise, no showing that an engine with perfect metal wear values is operating just fine on 0W20 means nothing.

An engine with less than perfect metal wear values in particular (IE. consuming oil) Would very much so benefit from thicker oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page