post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Rear deck speakers

I was kind of surprised to discover the speaker grilles in the rear deck of my 2017 Touring are hollow! Looking at it from the trunk, there is a plug for a connector but no speaker. In the attachment you can see daylight through the holes in the speaker grille.

I guess Mazda used the same rear deck for all trim levels? Or at least for trim levels that had the upgraded Bose system as an option?

What would it take to add speakers here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5161[1].jpg
Views:	70
Size:	591.2 KB
ID:	223338  

2017 Mazda 6 Touring manual

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
I was kind of surprised to discover the speaker grilles in the rear deck of my 2017 Touring are hollow! Looking at it from the trunk, there is a plug for a connector but no speaker. In the attachment you can see daylight through the holes in the speaker grille.

I guess Mazda used the same rear deck for all trim levels? Or at least for trim levels that had the upgraded Bose system as an option?

What would it take to add speakers here?
Even with the Bose, the rear decks are minimal fill. Even the rear Bose doors are minimal fill.

If you wanted to add speakers, I would recommend an amp. Before I bought my GT (more for the adaptive cruise control and heated seats than the bose) I was looking at a Touring with a sunroof and I had mapped out;

Pioneer GMD9605 5 channel
MVH-2300NEX HU
2 sets of Pioneer TSA 6.5 components for the doors
Pioneer TSW 12 low end.
I was going to use 1 of the rear deck speaker voids for a port to aid bass into the cabin directly from the port of the box.

If I was you and if you dont plan to modify the system, the rear deck is nothing to worry about as far as sound goes. Unless you wanted to add 6.5 in woofers in the rear doors for more midbass and two ways in the rear deck.

Its many ways to run the setup.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you put speakers in that rear deck make sure you add some dynamat to the metal -- just enough to dampen it. In fact that's a good idea even if you DON'T add speakers as that's a pretty big -- and resonant -- chunk of metal. It takes very little to effectively dampen out the resonances and the improvement in sound quality in the cabin is quite-material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 04:40 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
If you put speakers in that rear deck make sure you add some dynamat to the metal -- just enough to dampen it. In fact that's a good idea even if you DON'T add speakers as that's a pretty big -- and resonant -- chunk of metal. It takes very little to effectively dampen out the resonances and the improvement in sound quality in the cabin is quite-material.
@tickerguy

Noobie here, Can you please post pictures of how and where you applied the dynamat please?

Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just look inside the trunk. Tap the deck from the bottom with your hand. Note how it doesn't thud, it rings sort of like the surface of a drum.

You want to dampen that. The options are to do it up inside the trunk (where you can see it) or remove the shelf inside the car (behind the rear seat) and do it that way (in which case it's invisible.) Note that if you want mount speakers on that shelf you need to remove that rear shelf cover anyway, so that's the time to it -- getting that shelf cover off is somewhat of a pain in the neck in order to get access to its fasteners.

In addition remove the inside card from the trunk lid; the lid resonates VERY BADLY. Same deal here -- tap with your fingers and apply dynamat to the INSIDE surface of the metal of the lid until it doesn't resonate. CAREFUL WITH THE LID; if you use too much it won't stay open as the lifting torsion springs aren't very strong!

I found the original behavior of the lid HIGHLY annoying in that it would "spring" open when unlatched. What I have now it unlatches but doesn't spring open, but when lifted by hand (easily done with a pinky finger) it stays open. If you use too much dynamat you'll put enough mass on the lid that the torsion spring mechanism can't keep it open, so be SPARING and use only enough to dampen the resonances there.

I'd have to rip the car apart again (especially the shelf, which is a PITA to get out) to show you with a picture... sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page