Mazda 6 Forums banner

2018 Mazda 6 TPMS is different from prior gen

29K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  GTEyes 
#1 · (Edited)
So there was a discussion before from a thread recently going back and forth stating that the 2014+ Mazda 6 no longer employed sensors at each wheel and instead used the wheel sensors to determine if a tire was low on air via rotation speed. That is no longer the case.

Take note 2018 owners, we now have TPMS sensors on each wheel. I only figured this out because I was looking at the valve stem and it's the typical metal valve stem that TPMS sensors have. So I checked in the owners manual and it confirmed that there are indeed sensors on each wheel. So if any other 2018 owners out there are planning to do a wheel swap, keep in mind that you will have to swap over the sensors now. Was kind of a bummer because I liked the idea of easily swapping out wheels without having to pop the tire off. And not having to deal with the permanent batteries that dead every 30kish miles requiring replacement of the whole sensor.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That confirms my suspicion that the TPMS system was different than before.

IIRC, there's a TPMS "reset" button that is located on the left side of the steering wheel in '14-'17 models, in which the '18s do not have...

#9 ·
I also noticed this and thought I didn't have to worry about the TPMS...but seems it's got it. This will be my first car with such a system...boooourns!

#5 ·
This also begs the question as to how this "new" system will work with aftermarket sensors for winter tire/rim setups. Are we stuck buying Mazda-only sensors? Will they be available to places like Tire Rack and Discount Tire? etc.

#6 ·
I bet after market units are available. My wife’s RX needed sensors and we had them replaced at Discount Tire. The guys said they were pretty much universal. He’s replaced them on just about any type of car or can run off.

Too bad there is no display. The info is in the system now. I’m sure it’s a software update away.

#7 · (Edited)
I called the dealer a few days a go asking about the tpms system for the '18.

I was told there is a sensor for each wheel but it is not located in the tire. If you take the wheel off you will see it mounted by the rotors.

You do not buy sensors for different sets of wheels. They will work with any tires mounted. I believe (now I can't remember the exact procedure) that if the pressure of the two different sets are way off you may have to have them (sensors) recalibrated but you do not buy any sensors. They remain on the car.

EDIT: IF I'm wrong then the dealer doesn't know what they're talking about. Again, I called asking specifically about the '18 tpms. He repeated twice there are no sensors IN the wheel. You do not have to buy any or switch any over when changing wheels.

#8 · (Edited)
I hope this is the case and the owner's manual is a typo. Will make swapping out wheels much easier and we won't have to worry about replacing sensors after the batteries die. But think the dealer is just assuming it's the same as the 17.5 and older. Usually, wheels without the TPMS sensor just has black rubber valves instead of the metal ones that are bolted on.

#12 ·
I believe those may just be the receivers for each sensor, not the sensor itself. A friend's Highlander had a TPMS system like the prior gen Mazda 6 and it didn't have those receivers, it just used ABS speed sensors and the wheels just had regular black rubber valve stems. But I'll check with my friends at Mazda corporate, they should know for sure and be able to verify what the dealer told you.

#11 ·
I have the in-rim sensors on two other cars right now, they are an expensive pain in the neck! Both cars currently have dead batteries and the warning lights are on. I am loving the hub sensors on my 2016, but I did have the warning trip once. I neglected to reset the system after changing from snows to summer tires/rims.

#13 · (Edited)
Just returned from installing the rear springs and rear sway bar and noticed upon removal of the rear tires there weren't any of those sensors (like I circled that are on the front) anywhere that I could find. I still think there aren't any sensors in the tire but it seems whatever it is that I've circled are not the sensors.

Will be interesting to find out for sure....

#21 ·
BHA4-37-140
that is the parts number on my invoice from a few years ago when I picked up sensors for my winter wheels.

#20 ·
Yes, you can. I have TPMS sensors in my winter steel wheels. I've done the learning process only the first time I installed the winter wheels. Nothing special to do after that. I would assume that the system remember 2 sets of sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.