post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
2018 vs 2016 Impressions

I done did it.... Traded my 2016 Meteor Gray GT for a Machine Gray GT Reserve. Had it for about 5 days now / 200 miles. Here are some of my initial observations. Feel free to ask any questions. I’ll try to post a few more pics later this week. LMK if there’s anything in particular you want to see.

Miscellaneous comments....

I haven’t really pushed the engine yet but I can feel the difference even at low RPMs. No turbo lag. Just a strong pull from a standstill.

We live in a rural area so there are plenty of fun roads right around me. The same roads I pushed my 2016 on, the 2018 is on. The 2018 is quieter and feels softer but the seat of my pants tells me it handles just as well.

I was uncertain about the Machine Gray at first but after having it for a few days and seeing it in different lights it’s really impressed me. At certain angels in the sun it looks almost silver. Other times it looks dark gray. Overall it looks like “pewter” compared to the darker Meteor Gray. I’ve seen none of the brownish tones that I saw previously. Looking at a single panel you won’t see much metallic flake but rather to get the best effect stand back from the car to see how the color changes on different surfaces

The mesh grill will be a nightmare to clean bugs out of. Bleah....

The ventilated seats are awesome!

The stereo sounds better to my ears. The tweeters in the sail panels pull the sound backwards off the dashboard and imaging sounds much better. Even in center point mode the sound is not focused dead center above the dash...it’s had a much wider sound stage. Bass seems better which can probably be attributed to the tighter, quieter interior.

For anyone with a car seat, the repositioned anchors with covers are MUCH easier to use.

Your 2016 all weather floor mats will fit the 2018.

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve

Last edited by Trippp; 04-30-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Looks very nice.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Please tell about:
1. The new seats are supposedly redesigned. How's the comfort compared to the 2016?
2. Notice any difference with the G-vectoring control?
3. What do you think of the new wheel design?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly6 View Post
Please tell about:
1. The new seats are supposedly redesigned. How's the comfort compared to the 2016?
2. Notice any difference with the G-vectoring control?
3. What do you think of the new wheel design?
Thanks!
The seats are great. The side bolsters are non existent compared to the 2016 but the overall comfort is much better. My wife commented right away they feel like the seats in her Lexus, both the comfort and the leather itself.

I completely forgot about the G-Vectoring. I usually trail brake or at the very least let up off the gas before a curve which is essentially what G-Vectoring does. Either it’s that transparent or my driving habits somehow overrrides it. Either way the car feels solid when going into a turn and the steering is nicely weighted and easy to modulate to hold a line.

I like the wheels. I liked the 2016 design better as they looked “lighter and more organic”. But in person the new wheels have some folds and depth that pictures don’t quite capture. What helps is the Brilliant Silver finish which accentuates the different areas of the wheel to reallly play on the design.

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Congratulations.

I think as folks get out and compare in person they're going to see Mazda has stepped it up.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippp View Post

...For anyone with a car seat, the repositioned anchors with covers are MUCH easier to use...
AMEN!

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The seats are great. The side bolsters are non existent compared to the 2016 but the overall comfort is much better. My wife commented right away they feel like the seats in her Lexus, both the comfort and the leather itself.

I completely forgot about the G-Vectoring. I usually trail brake or at the very least let up off the gas before a curve which is essentially what G-Vectoring does. Either it’s that transparent or my driving habits somehow overrrides it. Either way the car feels solid when going into a turn and the steering is nicely weighted and easy to modulate to hold a line.

I like the wheels. I liked the 2016 design better as they looked “lighter and more organic”. But in person the new wheels have some folds and depth that pictures don’t quite capture. What helps is the Brilliant Silver finish which accentuates the different areas of the wheel to reallly play on the design.
I agree with the comments on wheel design. And it's actually been said by quite a few people -- pictures don't quite capture the depth that these wheels offer. That said, I still think I like the previous wheel design a little more. I have my spare set of bright silver '15 6GT wheels downstairs - mint, no peeling. I'll probably throw those on a little later this year. Right now just enjoying the new ride as is (minus a couple things! haha)

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:32 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Thanked 1,167 Times in 854 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I had my mind set on the Deep Crystal Blue, but now, NO thanks to Trippp, I'm now also considering Machine Gray...

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
... Machine Gray GT Reserve... was uncertain about the Machine Gray at first but after having it for a few days and seeing it in different lights it’s really impressed me. At certain angels in the sun it looks almost silver. Other times it looks dark gray. Overall it looks like “pewter” compared to the darker Meatlr Gray. I’ve seen none of the brownish tones that I saw previously. Looking at a single panel you won’t see much metallic flake but rather to get the best effect stand back from the car to see how the color changes on different surfaces...
A fascinating color. I noticed all that looking at it on the lot, day and night, in bright sun, overcast, HID lot lighting, and at night. At night it's black.
Apparently is it not quite the same as regular metallic.
https://www.holidaymazda.com/blog/ho...aint-its-cars/

I think the bright silver wheels begin on the GT-R. The GT has dark silver wheels, almost the same color as the Machine Gray paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine Gray Metallic.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	219369  

Last edited by vintage42; 04-30-2018 at 01:19 PM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Congratulations. Did you lease or buy?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in