post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
TSB for Wind Noise?

While I knew full well that my vehicle ('16 Mazda 6) had been criticized for having a noisy cabin when I bought it, I never really spent much time thinking about it - and it hasn't bothered me much... until today. My dealer gave me a new '17 (maybe '18?) CX-5 as a loaner and it's a-maz-ingly quiet in comparison. It actually feels like it's at the high end of the economy vehicle spectrum, whereas mine is somewhere in no-mans land.

I realize we're comparing apples and pears here since I drive a normal sedan but my understanding is that the newer 6's are also quieter.

I also know there was a TSB for the '14s and '15s.

With all that said, does anyone know specifically what engineering details are different between the newer models and the older ones? Specifically, I'm curious to know if I can modify the cabin of my 6 to sound like a 17 or 18?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 760 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,815 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakip2000 View Post
With all that said, does anyone know specifically what engineering details are different between the newer models and the older ones? Specifically, I'm curious to know if I can modify the cabin of my 6 to sound like a 17 or 18?
The original problem with the cabin noise was due to the plastic clips which held in the rubber seal around the doors. The seal would tear and detach at the clips and there was no way to fix it besides pulling it all off and replacing both it (the seal) and the clips which had a much larger radius.

As for sound dampening your car, check this out: http://forum.mazda6club.com/3rd-gen/...ise-issue.html
jakip2000 likes this.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

The Following User Says Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
jakip2000 (01-12-2018)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hm. Yeah. I don't think anything has torn. The noise hasn't gotten any worse, it's just omnipresent for backseat riders. Perhaps someday I'll try to tackle the road noise, but really my issue is with the wind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 760 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,815 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakip2000 View Post
Hm. Yeah. I don't think anything has torn. The noise hasn't gotten any worse, it's just omnipresent for backseat riders. Perhaps someday I'll try to tackle the road noise, but really my issue is with the wind.
Unfortunately, from people's experience, if you take it to a stealership they won't do anything unless it's really bad wind noise.

I may be mis-remembering this, but I thought there was also something to do with the B pillar and the snap-on piano-black plastic trim pieces....but I can't find it.

(BTW, those are held on by 3 - 4 clips and a whole HEAPING of 3M tape - trust me, I removed them once and won't ever try again)

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have an early 2014 and had these window seals replaced under the TSB early on and really, it only made a marginal difference in noise level regardless. I received a recall notice just the other day for the window trim pieces having to be "reinforced" as they tend to break off and expose sharp edges for some folks (I have not experienced this personally but plan to bring it in anyway since I also have the rear brake caliper recall to deal with at the same time). I have heard that the 2016-2018 models are better (quieter) as far as interior noise goes and added more noise insulation to some areas (wheel wells in particular). The noise doesn't bother me at all in city driving but is noticeable when driving on the highway if you're sensitive to that kind of thing.

"Out of pitch but still in tune" (Neil Young)

My Mazda lineage:

90 Protege (sold)
94 Protege (RIP, tranny died 3/25/13)
04 MPV
08 Mazda 3 Hatch
14 Mazda 6 Blue Reflex Touring w/fogs & auto dim mirror
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Did anyone ever tried beefing up the window seals? There are some videos on youtube for Accord 2013-15 where people used foam + 3M tape and are claiming it made a lot of difference. Mazda6 seems to suffer a similar problem and it sounds like air is leaking between the windows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page