Join Date: Jul 2017
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 1 reviews
Mazda made it pretty easy to do, you just need to know where to yank.
- Start by unbuttoning the leather shroud of the parking brake and unzipping it.
- You then literally yank up on the upper console (see attached pic).
- Be sure to unplug the command knob if you have one.
- On an ATX car unscrew the shift knob.
- Pry up the shift plate
- Unplug or remove the 194 bulb that illuminates the shift letters and remove the shift plate
- You can remove the front console box if you want by yanking it towards the back of the car.
- Unplug the cigarette lighter if you want to fully remove the console box
This gave me all the access I needed to run my wires throughout. The wire that powers the 194 bulb that illuminates the shifter is where I tapped everything off. It is a switched source so my LEDs only come on when my headlights are turned on. Made sense to me since that's the only time I need the extra lighting.