2014 Touring ATX interior shifter illumination - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Mazda made it pretty easy to do, you just need to know where to yank.

- Start by unbuttoning the leather shroud of the parking brake and unzipping it.

- You then literally yank up on the upper console (see attached pic).

- Be sure to unplug the command knob if you have one.

- On an ATX car unscrew the shift knob.

- Pry up the shift plate

- Unplug or remove the 194 bulb that illuminates the shift letters and remove the shift plate

- You can remove the front console box if you want by yanking it towards the back of the car.

- Unplug the cigarette lighter if you want to fully remove the console box

This gave me all the access I needed to run my wires throughout. The wire that powers the 194 bulb that illuminates the shifter is where I tapped everything off. It is a switched source so my LEDs only come on when my headlights are turned on. Made sense to me since that's the only time I need the extra lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Panel Removal.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	221914  
calcaneous likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dasrider For This Useful Post:
calcaneous (06-09-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post

- Start by unbuttoning the leather shroud of the parking brake and unzipping it.

- Pry up the shift plate

- Unplug or remove the 194 bulb that illuminates the shift letters and remove the shift plate

- You can remove the front console box if you want by yanking it towards the back of the car.

This gave me all the access I needed to run my wires throughout. The wire that powers the 194 bulb that illuminates the shifter is where I tapped everything off. It is a switched source so my LEDs only come on when my headlights are turned on. Made sense to me since that's the only time I need the extra lighting.

Thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:02 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Red face

Quote:

- Pry up the shift plate

Hey @dasrider,

It's me again! Sorry! I'm really keen on doing this..how exactly did you get your cup holders to illuminate? Did you have to drill a hole somewhere to let the light through?

Mine has a commander knob installed, so I don't plan on installing a dimmer, just want to daisy-chain the LED for the cup holders with the shift knob LED so that they light up when the headlights turn on.

Any pointers here bud? Thanks again.

2014 Mazda6 GS with GT RIMs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityguy View Post
Hey @dasrider,

It's me again! Sorry! I'm really keen on doing this..how exactly did you get your cup holders to illuminate? Did you have to drill a hole somewhere to let the light through?

Mine has a commander knob installed, so I don't plan on installing a dimmer, just want to daisy-chain the LED for the cup holders with the shift knob LED so that they light up when the headlights turn on.

Any pointers here bud? Thanks again.

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% happy with my cup holder light solution. I ended up drilling a small hole and fitting one of these bolt-beam style LEDs in it: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ght/1494/3435/

I then covered the upper half of it so the light wouldn't shine into the cabin and focused on the cupholder area. I mean, it works, but it's just not as clean as I want. I'd like to find some kind of cupholder light ring to replace it eventually.

Of note, I do have a second unmolested upper panel (that includes the cupholders) as Mazda calls it that I can switch back to whenever I want to go back to stock. I've also found having a dimmer is very useful because even the weakest LEDs put out too much light in a completely dark cabin IMO. I usually keep it on about the lowest setting most times. Everything was daisy-chained to the same output using these handy little suckers: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...cks/1372/3144/

I wasn't worried about voltage drop due to the extremely low load by the LEDs.
The Following User Says Thank You to dasrider For This Useful Post:
vancityguy (08-28-2018)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:12 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
I'll be honest, I'm not 100% happy with my cup holder light solution. I ended up drilling a small hole and fitting one of these bolt-beam style LEDs in it: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ght/1494/3435/

I then covered the upper half of it so the light wouldn't shine into the cabin and focused on the cupholder area. I mean, it works, but it's just not as clean as I want. I'd like to find some kind of cupholder light ring to replace it eventually.

Of note, I do have a second unmolested upper panel (that includes the cupholders) as Mazda calls it that I can switch back to whenever I want to go back to stock. I've also found having a dimmer is very useful because even the weakest LEDs put out too much light in a completely dark cabin IMO. I usually keep it on about the lowest setting most times. Everything was daisy-chained to the same output using these handy little suckers: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...cks/1372/3144/

I wasn't worried about voltage drop due to the extremely low load by the LEDs.
Thanks mate! I'd rather not drill a hole for the ambient effect. I was hoping there was a bit of a gap between the lid and the cup holders, enough to somehow magically let the right amount of light through to illuminate the cup holder area just ever so slightly, but I guess I was only dreaming.

I'm still going to try and see if I can stick a slightly larger 194 to get the letters near the shifter to light up just a tad more though, as I'm ordering a multi-pack of the 194s to switch out the rear side marker lights etc, with LEDs, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for helping out!

2014 Mazda6 GS with GT RIMs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page