Mazda 6 Forums banner

50k in 1.5yrs....ouch

6K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Mazda6Suspension 
#1 ·
I drive a lot. Ive not experienced any issues with the engine or trans at this time. I've always done a 5k oil change and tire rotation. Im still even on the original tires. I really still enjoy driving this car... just wish I had put in the ovtune in already... it is underpowered. My mileage has slowed down over the last 2 months dramatically as I have started car pooling with a coworker. He drives 1 wk, I drive the other... so my 6 sits in the garage every other week. These miles include the 1 month the car was at the dealer getting cosmetic issues fixed.... so not quite 1.5 yrs...

Purchased new on July 1st 2016

25,000 Feb 28th 2017

36,000 May 31st 2017

50,000 Nov 25th 2017

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought my 6 in August 2015. I am at 48674. No engine or trans issues here either, some interior rattles but Michigan roads are HORRIBLE. My sun roof exploded back in December 2015 and I just got a recall for some harness along the frame of my drivers seat. It’s been a good car otherwise. I never thought the car was unpowered, she’s not fast but then again I had cars in high school that had V8s with only 185hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
I never thought the car was unpowered, she’s not fast but then again I had cars in high school that had V8s with only 185hp.
This is the truth! If you got your drivers license after 2000, you’ve been living in the golden age. Kids now a days...?

PS. Bite the bullet and get the OV tune, guys. It’s a lot of fun. >:)

#11 ·
I never thought the car was under powered, she’s not fast but then again I had cars in high school that had V8s with only 185hp.
Brings back a few memories of an '84 Buick Regal with a 305 cubic inch engine, four barrel carb, that I had.
It was detuned due to the ridiculous emission standards of the day, and was rated at 140HP.
All that displacement with a four barrel, and it was slow as sheet. Gas mileage was abysmal.
We've come a long way.

#13 ·
I had a ‘86 and a ‘87 Monte Carlo both with a 5.0 V8 and both had a whopping 165hp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
Wow! That’s a lot of driving. Good thing you like your car. :smile2:

I’m at about half that mileage (26,700) right now and I got mine on May 30 last year. I’ve had to make several long trips from Wisconsin to the east coast and back in the last 12 months.

It’s interesting that you’re still on the OE Dunlops. Mine have been fine so far too. The way folks piss and moan about them...

#7 ·
Right on pace with you. Just hit 36k miles 11 months in.
Everything seems pretty on point. I do notice the front suspension has an annoying squeak noise to it sometimes.
Also the mechanical lumbar support (Touring) always comes undone. After about 45 minutes of driving I have to retwist the knob to keep the lumbar.
Otherwise, since I replaced the less than stellar OEM tires (downright dangerous in the wet), I've just been having a blast carving up the twisty Pennsylvania roads. Might not be the fastest on the merge to the highway, but when hitting the back roads, if you keep it in the correct gears (I have a manual, but I assume the same can be done with paddle shifters) you can keep the car going as fast as feels reasonable safe on a public road and get tons of ft/lbs of smiles. If I had a V8 Mustang, I probably wouldn't go much faster than I do now on the windy parts.

With that said, if I still lived in Southern FL I would probably think this car desperately needs a tune up.

#8 ·
Awesome to hear everyone is having a great experience with their 6.

My 2009 6 iGT went to 95,000 miles with only 1 or 2 minor issues (manual lumbar support broke and a temporary glitch with the volume knob corrected itself). Otherwise it was flawless. I was still on the original brakes and rotors at 95K. Most of those miles were put on in about 3 years. :surprise: I had a 90 mile round trip commute 5 days a week.

Fast forward . . . I've been working from home for the past 4 years. My 2016 GT has been absolutely flawless as well - mechanically . . . I did have 2 sets of wheels replaced for the peeling issue. And I only have 18,000 miles after about 2 1/2 years of ownership. Hoping to get a good trade in value on my turbo 6 in the spring . . . what what ?! :grin2:

#10 ·
I have a 2016 GT that I purchased last July. I just turned 45k miles. Glad to see I'm not the only one that drives this much. It's been a great car so far with nothing but oil changes and great gas mileage. I am definitely interested in the new turbo option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I'm pushing 105,000 miles on my 2014 Touring ATX. Still the nicest car I've owned. I know lots of people say this thing is underpowered, but I actually find it to be not that bad. Sure it's a little uninspiring at low rpms, but once it gets into the power-band it moves quite well imo.

My biggest gripe with the auto though is getting caught at a low rpm in 2nd gear and needing to move immediately. I'll give it plenty of throttle, but it lugs along for a bit before finally hitting and then taking off. This usually happens in traffic when I need to move quickly. From what I've read about the ovtune I imagine this hesitation would be addressed. At first I thought this was spark plug related as I replaced the originals with Denso and then Bosch. I'd like to do the tune, but I just dropped a bunch of money on the audio system so one thing at a time...

#21 ·
I'm pushing 105,000 miles on my 2014 Touring ATX. Still the nicest car I've owned. I know lots of people say this thing is underpowered, but I actually find it to be not that bad. Sure it's a little uninspiring at low rpms, but once it gets into the power-band it moves quite well imo.
The people who say that are the ones with buyers remorse and wish they got something else with a V6 or 2.0t. The 6 is still quicker than any car in its class with the mainstream powertrain (not the upgraded powertrain that 10-15% of buyers opt for). It's still quicker than the latest generation Accord and Camry with their mainstream powertrains.

Reactions: GWL
#18 ·
Glad I'm not the only one racking the miles on this vehicle. Purchased a '16 6 Touring in March 2016, and I'm on pace for 90K miles at the 2-year mark.

So far it's been rock-solid reliable. Done plenty of oil changes and I've burned through two sets of tires (OEMs and my first set of snows). Changed MTX fluid at 60K, and recently had the recall work done on the passenger seat frame (was having airbag and seatbelt warnings occasionally). No other issues at all.

Hoping to drive this thing until 225K or so. Fingers crossed!

#19 ·
Further proof of Mazda quality. I think it may be better than Toyota and Honda quality. Others on this forum have like Tickerguy, Byakuya are well past the 110k mark with no issues.

How many sets of brake pads and at what miles? Did you replace spark plugs yet?

#20 ·
Well, I’m heartened by the fact that several of you are seeing high miles and reliable service out of your Mazdas. It looks like I’m gonna have to hold onto my car for a long while now. I’m glad there’s a good chance the 6 will stay in one piece till I’m ready for my Google Autonomous Transportation Module.
:surprise:

#22 ·
70k here in 4 years myself, easily doing 15,000 per year with no real reliability issues. Stock battery, some tires, and some front brakes is it. Great car getting 35+ mpg every day. If you drive on 2-lane 55-65mph roads it's plenty quick, but I felt like I was being run the hell over trying to navigate the interstate with people doing 80-100mph at times. It's not a road rocket, but it's a really good 60-80mph all day cruiser! I bought the car for the adaptive cruise control and nice shifting transmission, and for commuter duty it's more than adequate. I'd rather have a 550 mile range on cheap fuel than a 350 mile range on pricey stuff. I do want to test drive the upcoming 2.5 turbo though and see what I am missing.

#25 ·
You have a 60k powertrain warranty. I would have told the dealer... go ahead replace the valve cover under my powertrain warranty.

If it was bs, they would come back and say it was nothing. If it was really leaking, they would replace it free.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#28 ·
The scams in this business are the stuff of legend, and despite the lip service from various AGs and other government agencies when was the last time you saw a stealer indicted and hauled off in irons for this crap?

That's close to a thousand dollars of worthless "work" that has been "recommended" for that car. It's pure theft, period, and if you or I walked into a store and stole that much we'd do 10 years in the slammer.

#29 ·
92k miles on my manual 2014 sport. Shifter still crisp with no slack, honestly it drives like it did when brand new, only the shifter is worn in now and is a bit smoother. The clutch still judders which I now realize is due to the dual mass flywheel, but I've learned to live with that and its done that since it was new. You really ought to call out stealerships for recommending bullshit services. How could they possibly know your spark plugs need to be replaced without removing them first, which I HIGHLY doubt they took the time to do? Personally I don't want people unbolting shit from my car and putting it back in unless I specifically request it.

FYI I replaced my spark plugs at 60k which is early, but I wanted to remove them to check on the health of the engine and figured I'd might as well toss new ones in. They were perfectly fine and could have probably gone another 60k miles. I will say that one of the spark plugs wasn't actually torqued to spec from the factory (it was WAY too easy to remove) so you might actually just torque them all down with a proper torque wrench to make sure. There was some evidence of leakage on that one, though very minor. Just some oily build up on the threads.

#30 ·
I change plugs around 60-70k as a matter of course. Otherwise, I’d be afraid that at 120,000 I wouldn’t be able to get them out.

And speaking of sketchy dealership services...I knew a dealer that sold 60,000 mile “spark plug rotations,” where they’d remove your plugs and anti seize them and drop them back in a different hole. Probably much more useful than a lot of stuff they try and peddle.

#31 ·
Closing on 180K KM or 112k miles in just over 4 years and have had no issues outside of regular maintenance. The front pads had to be replaced at 125K km which was very disappointing but since it is fun to drive it harder.... The valve cover gasket was changed under warranty way back in the first year and both the summers and winters are on the 2nd set. The old winters could have gone another year but tires are cheap compared to a tow truck 2 hours from town at 20 below. The dealership is around the mid point of an 8 hour drive and after a discussion with the service manager and service writers they simply change the oil and give it a wash down for me, the break is nice and the coffee is good. I fully agree that it is excellent car on the highway, setting the cruise at 120kph or 75mph lets me pass the speed traps without paying a fine and the mileage is still good. Currently planning on keeping it to around 300k km or 200k miles but might pass it on to one of the kids and pick up the turbo :smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.