Upgrade 17 sport low beam to led from 6 gt or 3 gt - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrade 17 sport low beam to led from 6 gt or 3 gt

Hi,
I have 2017 6, bought it new this July. after months driving, I feel the headlight is way too weak. thinking to replace the bulb with gt's or 3 gt's. if they are compatible with only unplug and plug installation?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you have the standard Halogen headlights (H11s) get some H9s and modify the tab on the bulb and in the plug (dremel). If you look at the two side-by-side it will be obvious.

The H9s are MUCH brighter and will NOT tamper with the pattern (that is, won't blind oncoming drivers!) The cost of the extra brightness comes in service life; they burn about half as long as an H11, so you'll have to change them more often. I have had this in my car since basically new and just had to change the low beams (~3 years, more or less), and I drive quite a lot at night. When one burned out I looked at the other; the filament was in sad shape, so I changed both (which you always should do anyway.) That's not bad service life, by the way.

Those bulbs are very cheap; this is a $20 modification, can be immediately reversed at zero cost if you want to (but you won't) and while technically illegal (as are ANY headlight mods) it both doesn't change the pattern (in other words it won't blind people) and won't get you pulled over (as will many HID conversions that both blind people and have horrible patterning, thus being DANGEROUS on top of it.)

The same can be done with high beams; the correct replacement is a HIR, otherwise known as a 9011, rather than the stock HB3. Note that you need to trim only the plastic tab on the bulb flange for this one; the plug is compatible. The same applies; it is the same wattage but brighter, and the trade-off is bulb life.

DO NOT run the high-wattage versions of either, and DO NOT go for the "blue" or other "colored" bulbs. The former risks burning up the housing or wiring, and the latter FILTERS some of the light, which is exactly the opposite of what you want to do (that is, make your lights BETTER!)

You can do all four bulbs in this fashion for under $50 and it's the cheapest and best bang-for-the-buck upgrade. It doesn't degrade the safety of your lighting at all in terms of blinding oncoming drivers, which is VERY important. Finally, it also leaves your lighting system unmodified in the car, which gets important real fast if you're traveling and have a bulb burn out! Have that happen to you with an aftermarket HID setup and you're hosed; with an H9/HIR swap you can walk into any WalMart or auto parts store and pop back in a stock bulb to restore "all lights work" in 10 minutes until you get somewhere that you can modify another replacement.
Mad Myche likes this.

Last edited by tickerguy; 11-03-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
If you have the standard Halogen headlights (H11s) get some H9s and modify the tab on the bulb and in the plug (dremel). If you look at the two side-by-side it will be obvious.

The H9s are MUCH brighter and will NOT tamper with the pattern (that is, won't blind oncoming drivers!) The cost of the extra brightness comes in service life; they burn about half as long as an H11, so you'll have to change them more often. I have had this in my car since basically new and just had to change the low beams (~3 years, more or less), and I drive quite a lot at night. When one burned out I looked at the other; the filament was in sad shape, so I changed both (which you always should do anyway.) That's not bad service life, by the way.

Those bulbs are very cheap; this is a $20 modification, can be immediately reversed at zero cost if you want to (but you won't) and while technically illegal (as are ANY headlight mods) it both doesn't change the pattern (in other words it won't blind people) and won't get you pulled over (as will many HID conversions that both blind people and have horrible patterning, thus being DANGEROUS on top of it.)

The same can be done with high beams; the correct replacement is a HIR, otherwise known as a 9011, rather than the stock HB3. Note that you need to trim only the plastic tab on the bulb flange for this one; the plug is compatible. The same applies; it is the same wattage but brighter, and the trade-off is bulb life.

DO NOT run the high-wattage versions of either, and DO NOT go for the "blue" or other "colored" bulbs. The former risks burning up the housing or wiring, and the latter FILTERS some of the light, which is exactly the opposite of what you want to do (that is, make your lights BETTER!)

You can do all four bulbs in this fashion for under $50 and it's the cheapest and best bang-for-the-buck upgrade. It doesn't degrade the safety of your lighting at all in terms of blinding oncoming drivers, which is VERY important. Finally, it also leaves your lighting system unmodified in the car, which gets important real fast if you're traveling and have a bulb burn out! Have that happen to you with an aftermarket HID setup and you're hosed; with an H9/HIR swap you can walk into any WalMart or auto parts store and pop back in a stock bulb to restore "all lights work" in 10 minutes until you get somewhere that you can modify another replacement.
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the suggestion and experience share. checked the H9, it is still the Halogen. considering closely staying with the stock, so if the 6 GT's, 3 GT's bulb(LED?) will fit the socket. it would be higher cost. but feels like LED will serve longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I did this for my 2016 Mazda6 Touring. . A minor pain - took just over an hour.
The DRLs appear to be poorly directed inside the garage, but the headlights at night seem fine.

Works much better, but to my aging eyes the headlight still suck. Really poor illumination. No appreciable improvement over my 2002 Mazda Protege5.

I'm still looking for good fog lights to use as 'cornering lights' that will fill in near and low and wide. Haven't found any great recommendations in LED, halogen, HID, or anything else. I want them for great illumination, not at all for looks.

Haven't found any good aftermarket replacement headlights, either.

Edit: Responding to Tickerguys comments - yes, for sure! The H9 conversion did make a very big improvement.

-

Last edited by MazdaRex; 11-03-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
The projector lens system requirement is COMPLETELY different for LED .vs. Halogen. You will have to change the housings at minimum, assuming the wiring is compatible (no idea if it is.) That's going to cost quite a bit of cash.

I found the H9 improvement to be MASSIVE. But make sure you buy the STANDARD H9 bulbs (Philips brand.) There are a LOT of "gimmicky" replacements that say H9 but they suck. Buy the Osram/Philips one, no gimmicks, no off-brands.

For fogs I put the Morimoto LED units in. As *fogs* they're pretty good; I would have liked yellow, but couldn't get yellow so I have "bright white." Nonetheless they're down low and have a proper bar-pattern (since you're installing the entire capsule with a purpose-designed projector for it) and are VASTLY superior to the stock fogs (which incidentally I found to be completely worthless; don't even bother putting those in the car if you don't have them, especially if you put H9s in the low beams!)

Last edited by tickerguy; 11-03-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:37 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I replaced my halogen bulbs with a pair of these LEDs
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led...o-2stroke.html
and have been quite pleased with the light output from them, plus they look great. I will try to find my before/after pics on them.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraAxela View Post
and have been quite pleased with the light output from them, plus they look great. I will try to find my before/after pics on them.
How is the quality of the bulbs? see their website, looks like the installation is easy and they stated the lifespan would be 25k hours, which is good.
I may need a pair of H11 Led
Old 11-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraAxela View Post
How's the light throw with these?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:12 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I personally don't see any issues with throw. I've been pleased enough that when I installed fog lights just last week, I find I really don't even need the fogs, and might get rid of them.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I'll second the recommendation for the H9 swap, and stay away from anything that is blue-dipped, or long life.
The slick thing about the H9 swap is that the only difference in the filament is the diameter, and the smaller diameter provides for a better focus than original.

If you want to switch to LED or HID or whatever the technology of the week is, the only way to properly do it is to get a complete lamp assembly that is built for it. It is physically impossible for any of the off the shelf plug and play lamps to have the correct focus point- they may get the location in the lamp correct but neither the shape nor dimensions of the filament.

As for fogs, don't know how to help you; still haven't decided which way I am going to go for fogs. Not enough room where I'd prefer to mount to have a decently performing lamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in