Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum (https://forum.mazda6club.com/)
-   3rd-Gen (https://forum.mazda6club.com/490-3rd-gen/)
-   -   Brake Upgrade (https://forum.mazda6club.com/3rd-gen/422641-brake-upgrade.html)

Get Inline 09-25-2017 01:45 AM

Brake Upgrade

for the third generation 2014+ Mazda 6, the pads are made by TRW, a reputable OEM supplier with good quality parts. however, the quality of our rotors seem to be lacking in terms of performance. they warp easily and are not as good as some of the other brands.

anyone have experience upgrading the brakes on these cars? what did you find worked well?

Byakuya 09-25-2017 09:04 AM

Depends on how much you want to spend, and how much you want to upgrade.

Snyperx 09-25-2017 10:08 AM

I just put EBC plain rotors and Redstuff pads on the front of mine this weekend. $105.

Get Inline 09-25-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byakuya (Post 4904601)
Depends on how much you want to spend, and how much you want to upgrade.

Just looking for a basic rotor upgrade over stock. Not happy with OEM rotors but the pads are good. I?ve settled with either TRW or Textar pads and EBC, Centric, or Zimmerman rotors. I have Textar and Zimmerman on my bmw and that Stuff is truly amazing!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snyperx (Post 4904665)
I just put EBC plain rotors and Redstuff pads on the front of mine this weekend. $105.

How are the EBC rotors compared to stock?

Are you liking your new pads so far? Do they require to be warmed up when you first start driving before they reach full braking potential? What do you think of them?

Byakuya 09-25-2017 11:02 AM

I'm on Centric performance pads and rotors all around and love them. Fronts have been on for ~55k miles and rears for ~20k. Low dust, no noise, good braking, ~$225 for everything and installed myself.

Snyperx 09-25-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Get Inline (Post 4904777)
Just looking for a basic rotor upgrade over stock. Not happy with OEM rotors but the pads are good. I?ve settled with either TRW or Textar pads and EBC, Centric, or Zimmerman rotors. I have Textar and Zimmerman on my bmw and that Stuff is truly amazing!

How are the EBC rotors compared to stock?

Are you liking your new pads so far? Do they require to be warmed up when you first start driving before they reach full braking potential? What do you think of them?

Rotors have an anti-corosion coating. The pads seem to be doing good though I have not completed the 50 mile break in it. EBC uses this special break in coating on the surface of the pads, so as you first drive the front brakes sound horrible as you bed the pads via that special coating. Had EBC brakes on my 2010 6 and liked them then.

Get Inline 09-25-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byakuya (Post 4904801)
I'm on Centric performance pads and rotors all around and love them. Fronts have been on for ~55k miles and rears for ~20k. Low dust, no noise, good braking, ~$225 for everything and installed myself.

awesome. did the pedal become firmer or more responsive after you changed the brakes?

did you also bleed your brake fluid? if you have higher mileage, that will help.

thanks!

Byakuya 09-25-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Get Inline (Post 4904937)
awesome. did the pedal become firmer or more responsive after you changed the brakes?

did you also bleed your brake fluid? if you have higher mileage, that will help.

thanks!

Pedal responsiveness is tough for me to judge because I'm very conservative with my braking. I'm in so much traffic for commuting that I usually just let the car crawl and don't really need to brake.

When it comes to quick stops that I've needed to do for various things, I feel the Mazda6 in general is a little slow to start but once you're down 50% or more it hits them hard.

I didn't bleed but I absolutely greased the caliper pins - don't need anything locking up on me.

tickerguy 09-25-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Get Inline (Post 4904937)

Fluid should be flushed and changed every 2 years on any vehicle, period. European cars mandate it and will void your chassis warranty on the brakes if you don't (and that can be expensive, especially if the ABS pump pukes!)

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and over time picks up humidity from the air, which then promotes corrosion in the system, along with depressing the boiling point (which in turn leads to poorer performance, especially under hard driving conditions; this is amplified in hotter climates.)

A fluid change, if you have a power bleeder, only requires a bottle of new fluid and about a half-hour of time. It's one of the cheaper and easier maintenance jobs to do, about as expensive and time-consuming as an oil change (if that) and is foolish to not do on a every 2-year basis.

I've never had to change a caliper, ABS pump, master cylinder or clutch slave on any vehicle I've owned where I've followed that service schedule -- and that includes two on the road today that I have owned for roughly 15 years.

Get Inline 09-25-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tickerguy (Post 4904977)
Fluid should be flushed and changed every 2 years on any vehicle, period. European cars mandate it and will void your chassis warranty on the brakes if you don't (and that can be expensive, especially if the ABS pump pukes!)

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and over time picks up humidity from the air, which then promotes corrosion in the system, along with depressing the boiling point (which in turn leads to poorer performance, especially under hard driving conditions; this is amplified in hotter climates.)

A fluid change, if you have a power bleeder, only requires a bottle of new fluid and about a half-hour of time. It's one of the cheaper and easier maintenance jobs to do, about as expensive and time-consuming as an oil change (if that) and is foolish to not do on a every 2-year basis.

I've never had to change a caliper, ABS pump, master cylinder or clutch slave on any vehicle I've owned where I've followed that service schedule -- and that includes two on the road today that I have owned for roughly 15 years.

agreed, but how many people do you think actually follow that and change every 2 years? I did a brake fluid flush on my 75k mile BMW (very likely the first time it was ever done) and the pedal became much more firm and easier to modulate. it was a very nice improvement over what I was used to.

lubing your caliper pins is also important.