post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Honestly, while the salt/sand/gravel aren't good for your car, it's the brine solution that's doing the greatest amount of corrosion. It's also the most efficient and cost-effective method for pre-treating roads, so more an more places are using it. That stuff touches everything on your car and takes a lot to get rid of.
Yeah, I've seen that brine crap in use out east and heard how nasty it is. Up here, everything with the exception of state roads, is plowed to snow cover only. It's slicker but if you take your time, your gonna do just fine. They dump at intersections only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring...gone but not forgotten.
Hopefully, some new owner is driving the wheels off her right now! They got a good one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
That brine crap is nonsense and people ought to go ballistic on the municipalities that use it, but they don't and won't. The only thing it's efficient at is destroying your vehicle, especially any vehicle that has multiple metals or alloys (and that's all of them these days.)

Remember that a galvanic cell ("battery" in other words) is made out of two dissimilar metals and an electrolyte (that is, water + any sort of ionic compound.) Salt does just fine for that since it's NaCl, which in water dissolves to Na+ and Cl-. Put two dissimilar metals joined by said electrolyte together and the more-electronegative metal will corrode (while the less is protected.)
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 774 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2833 Post(s)
Thanked 4,040 Times in 2,837 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
That brine crap is nonsense and people ought to go ballistic on the municipalities that use it, but they don't and won't. The only thing it's efficient at is destroying your vehicle, especially any vehicle that has multiple metals or alloys (and that's all of them these days.)

Remember that a galvanic cell ("battery" in other words) is made out of two dissimilar metals and an electrolyte (that is, water + any sort of ionic compound.) Salt does just fine for that since it's NaCl, which in water dissolves to Na+ and Cl-. Put two dissimilar metals joined by said electrolyte together and the more-electronegative metal will corrode (while the less is protected.)
While I agree with the brine eating your car, I'm all in favor of using it on the roads. Cost-efficient, more effective, easier/faster to deploy? Sign me up!

Around here, 1 foot of snow in 12 hours isn't uncommon, and yet the majority of our (main) roads will be perfectly clear within 12-24 hours of a storm thanks to the brine (and lots of plows). The brine preps the roads so well that it allows plows to more efficiently clear them - plus it doesn't result in my car getting pelted with giant chunks of salt/frozen sand.

Do I hate what it does to my car? Absolutely - do I love being able to use the roads almost immediately after a storm? You'd better believe it.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
While I agree with the brine eating your car, I'm all in favor of using it on the roads. Cost-efficient, more effective, easier/faster to deploy? Sign me up!

Around here, 1 foot of snow in 12 hours isn't uncommon, and yet the majority of our (main) roads will be perfectly clear within 12-24 hours of a storm thanks to the brine (and lots of plows). The brine preps the roads so well that it allows plows to more efficiently clear them - plus it doesn't result in my car getting pelted with giant chunks of salt/frozen sand.

Do I hate what it does to my car? Absolutely - do I love being able to use the roads almost immediately after a storm? You'd better believe it.
Meh.

I lived in northern Michigan, a good half-hour from the nearest "modest sized" town that they called a "city" (in the summer on clear roads!) for quite some time and there was no brine or salt used up there (no local supply and too damn expensive given the density of people to ship it in.) I often came out of my place and had a ~30 mile drive on snow-covered roads, and when I say snow I mean *SNOW*, not a light dusting. They ran big twin-screw snowblowers on the front of dump trucks full of sand down the main roads which was good enough to clear the gross accumulations fast (that would otherwise make the road impassable -- 1'+ of snow + rutting will make for a train wreck, especially after multiple back-to-back nights of that), but did not result in a clear, dry roads by any means.

Without snow tires you were screwed, but with them (and chains in the trunk "just in case") it was entirely navigable. Yes, you had to slow down somewhat, -- big deal. It didn't destroy your car either.

I won't live in a place that brines the streets; they're not paying for the thousands of dollars of damage it does to my vehicles every year on an intentional basis, and I refuse to consent to it -- never mind that I can go do suspension or other work on my cars and actually get things apart using nothing other than ordinary wrenches -- no impact guns or air-chisels required.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
What we need more than anything is a 2 pot/piston front caliper.
That in itself would make a huge difference.

https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/a...N/5442365.html

vs

https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/a...N/5331295.html

Can any of the MAZDA "muppets" tells us if the CX-9's calipers would be a suitable bolt on replacement?
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
bump
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:36 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I finally had enough of the stock bass and calipers. I did get 90k out of them. I wanted a better stop as Im a real aggressive driver.

I had custom Wilwood Superlite 4 piston calipers made for the front which needed at least 2.25" of space from the back of the wheel spokes to the rotor surface in order to clear the wheel. It also needed at least 13.6" inner wheel diameter. I have motegi racing rims...17s. I will post a better pic tomorrow as I have to pull the wheels and reposition the ring lights.

Replaced the disks too.

Cost - 1500 installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18C3880F-86F6-47EC-B0CE-7767D2877606.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	223146  
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntgoat95 View Post
I finally had enough of the stock bass and calipers. I did get 90k out of them. I wanted a better stop as Im a real aggressive driver.

I had custom Wilwood Superlite 4 piston calipers made for the front which needed at least 2.25" of space from the back of the wheel spokes to the rotor surface in order to clear the wheel. It also needed at least 13.6" inner wheel diameter. I have motegi racing rims...17s. I will post a better pic tomorrow as I have to pull the wheels and reposition the ring lights.

Replaced the disks too.

Cost - 1500 installed.
Has custom brakes specially made for his car - buys 17" aftermarket wheels to reuse OEM tires..
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 AM
Learners License

LOL. I’m allowed an error in judgment every now and then. Reminds me I’m human
Get Inline likes this.

Last edited by Stuntgoat95; 08-04-2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Typo
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:25 PM
Learners License

As promised. Yall will just have pretend that I have 18s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A119396-4FF8-409B-87A5-EA7B11F88E35.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	223170  
RedBluff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page