Need help finding source of acceleration "rattle/rumble" noise - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help finding source of acceleration "rattle/rumble" noise

Hi, I have a 2015 Mazda6, that overall has been a really good car to me, but am having an issue with a acceleration rattle/noise that I would like to take care of before the car is out of warranty. Sometimes, when accelerating I hear a low pitched ďrattleĒ like sound of short duration coming from low in the car, maybe near the firewall or perhaps a little lower.

The sound is most likely to occur when driving at speeds between 20 and 40 mph and acceleration to higher speeds. Previously I had thought that it was most pronounced when accelerating up a constant grade, but have noticed it on flat roads as well. The noise is metallic in nature, but not particularly high pitched or sharp. I have taken the car in to be looked at by the dealer twice and the first time they where unable to replicate the sound. The second time I brought it in I told them to check heat shields rattles/loose hangers since I only heard it under load. This time after returning the car they told me the source of the rattle was a known issue with loose bolts in he bumper/front clip assembly and that after tightening the noise was gone. I can still hear the noise and the bumper seem pretty far forward in the vehicle to be the cause. No word on if they checked for heat shield rattles.

I know itís very hard to diagnose rattles over the internet, and I have been unable to catch it with a recorder, but does anyone have an ideas what I may be hearing? Could it be a small exhaust leak that only opens briefly and under certain conditions? The sound is very hard to replicate on demand, but itís very obvious when it does it. Any other ideas on what it may be if itís motor related? I should add that I feel nothing through the pedal or in the response of the car when this happens. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page