Almost traded the 6 for a WRX - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost traded the 6 for a WRX

Came very close to pulling the trigger on a silver WRX Premium today.

Basically two things stopped me:
1. It was an economically stupid choice since my car is about paid off and low mileage
2. The low clutch take up, notchy shifter and severe throttle tip in on the WRX make for a herky-jerky ride around town. I'm sure I'd get better at driving it smoothly but it was a bit of a turn off - I drove two different cars and had the same result so it wasn't just the first car. Both cars were '17s. The '18 is supposed to be better since they made some adjustments to the clutch and tranny.

In any case, the 6 is staying with me a while. Doesn't have the edge the WRX has but it sure beats it in smoothness. Still like my ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
I also wanted a WRX from the beginning but they were not available yet when I was in the market. I could have gotten a MS3 at the time, but the Kodo design sold me. I have thought about trade in a a lot but similar to you mine is also payed off and low mileage. I already outright own it and if I trade in I just lose money and have more payments. So yea probably going to keep my 6 for at least 4 more years before I consider something else.
6speeder6 likes this.

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI+Airbox ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][Paddle Shift retrofit][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

Last edited by Jerrycobra; 07-17-2017 at 01:56 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
You made a wise choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
6speeder6 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
I traded my 6 for a WRX. While the 6 was a great car I wanted something that was bit more fun to own. Lack of power is what really killed the fun of owning the 6.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook187 View Post
I traded my 6 for a WRX. While the 6 was a great car I wanted something that was bit more fun to own. Lack of power is what really killed the fun of owning the 6.

The WRX is a fun car, no doubt, and the newer 2.0 provides pretty decent gas mileage. It also has an ample backseat which is a stand out in its class.

How do you find driving around town? I was surprised at the low clutch take up and inadvertent dip into boost. I've been driving a manual since I learned to drive and could't get a smooth shift through 4th on the street in two test drives.

In any case, I was really tempted but when I crunched the numbers, it didn't make financial sense.

I agree more power would make the 6 a more entertaining car but I've never found it to be slow.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speeder6 View Post
How do you find driving around town? I was surprised at the low clutch take up and inadvertent dip into boost. I've been driving a manual since I learned to drive and could't get a smooth shift through 4th on the street in two test drives.
To me driving around town was as annoying as it is with any manual transmission car I've owed including my 6.

A far as the jerkiness you encounter when shifting...after a couple days you'll get used to it and things will start smoothing out.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
The WRX also piqued my interest (now that am paid off, a year early/no down made) That (for the next ride..in 4-5yrs, along with the Mustang GT, Camaro 1SS, T86/BRZ, (WRX) and the MX-5 RF in that order..and as long as it has a better power/wt ratio, with a manual. Though, I'm in SoCal..so the AWD isn't necessarily a priority, but RWD is.

If Mazda slaps the 2.5 T from the CX-9, or comes up with a powerful Sky-Activ 2 HCCI..then, I could still consider another FWD Mazda. We'll see

Driving a slow car fast is more fun, than driving a fast car slow.

Last edited by ExB5; 07-16-2017 at 03:51 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExB5 View Post
The WRX also piqued my interest (now that am paid off, a year early/no down made) That (for the next ride..in 4-5yrs, along with the Mustang GT, Camaro 1SS, T86/BRZ, (WRX) and the MX-5 RF in that order..and as long as it has a better power/wt ratio, with a manual. Though, I'm in SoCal..so the AWD isn't necessarily a priority, but RWD is.

If Mazda slaps the 2.5 T from the CX-9, or comes up with a powerful Sky-Activ 2 HCCI..then, I could still consider another FWD Mazda. We'll see

Yes I'd be all over a new Mazdaspeed (or something with a turbo in a non-SUV body) product but from what I read, there isn't anything in the pipeline. Hopefully that will change.

The WRX is still in my sights but the timing needs to make sense. (There's also talk that the next gen WRX will debut in 2020). I've made plenty of financially stupid car buys in my time due to impulsiveness/lack of patience. Time to buck that trend.
ExB5 likes this.

Last edited by 6speeder6; 07-16-2017 at 04:18 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speeder6 View Post
Yes I'd be all over a new Mazdaspeed (or something with a turbo in a non-SUV body) product but from what I read, there isn't anything in the pipeline. Hopefully that will change.

The WRX is still in my sights but the timing needs to make sense. (There's also talk that the next gen WRX will debut in 2020). I've made plenty of financially stupid car buys in my time due to impulsiveness/lack of patience. Time to buck that trend.
Ditto on a reborn Speed6, in Sky-Activ form. But regardless of what Mazda calls it..the competition is stiff (am aiming at you, Honda, namely the new 2018 Accord..the dash, a Mazda6 rip-off..a blend of the GJ/GL, albeit a notch above esp the screen/HU) and I think it's only a matter of time, for Mazda to bring to the table, a more potent engine (the revised Sky-Activ 2.2L Diesel, would be more plausible..trickling off, from the planned CX-5 optional powerplant) if Mazda wants the Mazda6 to be relevant.

A 2020 WRX (or the next T86/BRZ)...we'll see. I hope Subaru can sway me more (or the next new, non push rod V8 Camaro or the next Mustang GT, hopefully lighter).
6speeder6 likes this.

Driving a slow car fast is more fun, than driving a fast car slow.

Last edited by ExB5; 07-16-2017 at 06:23 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think the 6 is a better looking car than the WRX.

The WRX looks like a Japanese compact that someone put a wing on and fender flares and such.

The 6 has very nice lines and looks like a high class sedan.....just my opinion of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page