Almost traded the 6 for a WRX - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 773 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Thanked 4,040 Times in 2,837 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMazda View Post
I think the 6 is a better looking car than the WRX.

The WRX looks like a Japanese compact that someone put a wing on and fender flares and such.

The 6 has very nice lines and looks like a high class sedan.....just my opinion of course.
Exactly what I was going to say. The WRX looks (as they want it to) to be more of a rally car, where the 6 is much more refined (mature) and elegant looking.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. The WRX looks (as they want it to) to be more of a rally car, where the 6 is much more refined (mature) and elegant looking.

True. The WRX is not much to look at. It's definitely in the school of function over form.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

The WRX looks like a Japanese compact that someone put a wing on and fender flares and such.

The 6 has very nice lines and looks like a high class sedan.....just my opinion of course.
I think you got it spot on. When I was shopping for my daily driver, I was initially focused on the GTI and WRX as my prime targets. After driving both, the WRX got a quick dismissal. As the OP noted, I found it very hard to drive smoothly, especially compared to my manual M3. The clutch has very little margin for error, and the transmission didn't feel very nice. It was also very stiff and bumpy/jittery driving even on a smooth freeway. The interior was also very lackluster to me. It's obvious it's geared for performance.

The GTI was very nice, and I nearly bought one. But in the end I decided it was a bit too small for me to be a comfortable daily cruiser...especially the sporty driver's seat. It was a bit too restrictive and it was hard to climb in and out of over the tall side bolsters.

The Mazda6 was the perfect blend of sport and comfort to me. Sure I'd love another 50-100 HP, but the rest of the car was spot on what I wanted. The level of refinement and gorgeous interior was the deciding factor, along with the great price.
6speeder6 likes this.

2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring w/ Tech Package - Meteor Gray Mica
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan, Manual - Titanium Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Agreed. The GJ/GL 6 would age very well. Even today, it still looks refreshing..and would not be out of place at all, and even made it as the last 3 finalist of the World Car Design of 2013..next to the exotics Aston Martin Vanquish and the Jaguar F-Type. A low budget "family car"..with "exotic" looks. One of the major factors, that fell me over for the Mazda6.

Now, all I need..is a little bit more low end "grunt" (say 310lbs/ft torque of the 2.5T in the CX-9) from acceleration, from a stop, in traffic..with "exotic" looking designs by Mazda..and quite likely, I could still stay, for another FWD Mazda.
6speeder6 likes this.

Driving a slow car fast is more fun, than driving a fast car slow.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Groans: 10
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:

WRX and Evos were just homologated versions of the group A rally cars. The constant queries from non-JDM customers is what led Subaru and Mitsubishi to sell these cars to other countries. After the death of Lancer Evolution, the WRX and Focus RS are the last two remaining cars that can trace their origins to FIA touring car/Group A series, and are meant to be pure function driven with any aesthetically pleasing bits being strictly coincidental !
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Shoot, if Mazda unveils another MS6 with a boosted Skyactive y'all will here me squealing like a schoolgirl to the dealership. Especially, if they can offer it at a competitive price around 32-35k out the door. AWD would seal the deal but that would probably jack the prices to STI level which they'd want to avoid. I believe they could compete with the GTI/WRX all day long and with the more mature look, they'd appeal to a lot larger demographic.

Current Stable:
2012 G37 (His)
2016 CX-5 (Hers)

RIP:
'98 Mercury Mountaineer
'08 Mazda3
'13 Lancer SE (lol)
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Indeed, the WRX is just too "boy racer" for me (no offense)..I wish the next 2020 iteration, would be more "grown up" in it's design.

That's one thing I like about the GJ/GL M6..the bodywork is understatedly classy and mature. If you look closely, it has a swoopy fastback silhouette (recently copied by Honda, with the 2018 Accord..you could even see hints of the blended GJ/GL dash design), with long hood/short rear deck proportions, ala "RWD". If you park our M6 next to a Tesla..it can easily rival it's premium looks (to the unfamiliar..it could even be mistaken, as one).

Driving a slow car fast is more fun, than driving a fast car slow.

Last edited by ExB5; 07-17-2017 at 04:45 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
If Mazda had a MazdaSpeed 6 even with the CX-9 2.5L with 250HP / 310TQ it would be a success in my book.

I have a CX-9 with the 3.7L 273HP motor but rented recently the 2.5L Turbo. It was quick even pulling almost 5000 pounds. It would rip in a Mazda 6 shell, the torque is insane.

I'm sure if Mazda did bring out the Speed version they'd tweak for more power, it's easily tunable for 300HP on high octane. I for one would trade my 6 on it in a second.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Turbo 6 is coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExB5 View Post
The WRX also piqued my interest (now that am paid off, a year early/no down made) That (for the next ride..in 4-5yrs, along with the Mustang GT, Camaro 1SS, T86/BRZ, (WRX) and the MX-5 RF in that order..and as long as it has a better power/wt ratio, with a manual. Though, I'm in SoCal..so the AWD isn't necessarily a priority, but RWD is.

If Mazda slaps the 2.5 T from the CX-9, or comes up with a powerful Sky-Activ 2 HCCI..then, I could still consider another FWD Mazda. We'll see

At a Mazda Factory Demo Day in May the Factory rep said that Mazda was working on getting the CX5 and the Mazda 6 into North America with the 2.5L Turbo in 2018. They were also going to offer the Diesel in select models. He also mentioned that the 6 was going to have an all wheel drive option. What that probably means is the turbo will only be available in the 6 with AWD.

Unfortunately when asked he said there was still no consideration of bringing the Wagon version to NA because there would not be enough demand to justify the cost. I would take a 6 wagon over a CX5 every time.

North to South and back again.
You can never have too much light

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northzone View Post
At a Mazda Factory Demo Day in May the Factory rep said that Mazda was working on getting the CX5 and the Mazda 6 into North America with the 2.5L Turbo in 2018. They were also going to offer the Diesel in select models. He also mentioned that the 6 was going to have an all wheel drive option. What that probably means is the turbo will only be available in the 6 with AWD.

Unfortunately when asked he said there was still no consideration of bringing the Wagon version to NA because there would not be enough demand to justify the cost. I would take a 6 wagon over a CX5 every time.
Why is it that adding the turbo makes financial sense but not bringing the wagon over? If the turbo gets the 10% take rate that the Camry and Accord V6's do, Mazda would sell roughly 250 Mazda6 turbos a month based on July's dismal sales figure. How could they possibly recoup the engineering costs? Assuming they don't sell well in other markets either. Whereas the wagon is already fully engineered for other markets so what additional would they need to do to Americanize the wagon, besides marketing and ordering systems?

2017 Mazda6 Deep Crystal Blue Touring w/ Bose/Moonroof and Premium Packages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page