Windshield replacement on 2016 Grand Touring w/ Tech Package (pics) - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windshield replacement on 2016 Grand Touring w/ Tech Package (pics)

Hi all,

A little over a week ago on a Saturday I noticed a rock chip at the base of my windshield near where the driver side wiper sits. Because no glass shops were able to fit me in that day, I scheduled an appointment for two days later (Monday). Sunday came and temps were in the 90s, and the windshield cracked about a 3 foot crack up and towards the passenger side.

Fast forward to today...just had my windshield replaced. My insurance company approved replacement with an OEM Mazda windshield since my car is less than a year old. The cost was about double what a Pilkington brand windshield would have been, but I was nervous about having issues with the myriad of sensors include in the tech package. Wanted to be sure the new part fit first time perfect.

The owner of the glass shop (Novus) that replaced my windshield let me into the shop to observe and take some pics. I thought I'd share with other owners of cars equipped with these sensors. I was curious what it all looked like. The sensors simply clip into a bracket that comes bonded to the windshield. Pretty easy swap all things considered.

So far, my lane departure warning appears to work properly. I'd been told that my rain sensor my need to be calibrated by the dealer (a $75 charge that insurance will cover) but the installer was doubtful it was needed. Maybe I'll try it out with a spray bottle if it doesn't rain in the next few days.

First, the damage. You can see the small chip just above the black band area and the crack that spread from it. This is after the windshield had been removed obviously.

Next, here is the old windshield with the sensors still installed. From bottom to top, I THINK the sensors are the rain sensor (small black plastic sensor), the front mounted camera for lane departure (labeled both Mazda and Continental interestingly...must be supplied by continental), and lastly at the top is the front mounted laser (LIDAR)...it's labeled "short range LIDAR" on the sensor.

The new windshield before the sensors are installed.

The new windshield with all sensors moved over.

The old windshield with the sensors removed.

The new (foreground) and old (background) during sensor transfer.

The patient during surgery. I gotta admit I was nervous about this whole procedure but the installer did a great job.

The new windshield in place at home.

Label on the new windshield.

It also included a small sticker that said "Made in Japan. Please do not remove. This sticker must remain in place for the automobile owner to see and remove." I did so.

Hope this helps someone in the future!
93blkongreenpro likes this.

2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring w/ Tech Package - Meteor Gray Mica
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan, Manual - Titanium Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 778 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Thanked 4,046 Times in 2,840 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Thanks for the post. I have a couple little chips in my windshield but I don't want to replace it since I know my insurance won't foot the bill for an OEM windshield. I pray they don't go crazy like your crack did!

Glad to see things worked out for you and that the shop was nice enough to let you watch

Added this to my 3rd gen 1 stop shop.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Thanks for the post. I have a couple little chips in my windshield but I don't want to replace it since I know my insurance won't foot the bill for an OEM windshield. I pray they don't go crazy like your crack did!

Glad to see things worked out for you and that the shop was nice enough to let you watch

Added this to my 3rd gen 1 stop shop.
Thanks! I hope it helps some folks. When I was researching, I found limited info, with only a handful of pics from a CX5 forum.

FWIW, the installer was recommending I go with Pilkington brand glass if insurance didn't cover an OEM Mazda windshield. He was estimating the glass alone from Mazda was going to be in the ~$650 range (I've since found it online from some Mazda online parts stores for ~$450, so $650 from the local dealer with full markup sounds legit), whereas the Pilkington was about half that (~$300). Before I made the decision, I did some research and found Pilkington highly regarded for glass, and is an OE supplier for many makes including BMW. The BMW forums are full of people insisting on Pilkington replacement glass. He was confident that the bracketry for the sensors would be identical to the Mazda one, but I didn't want to risk it. In a year or two down the line, if I were to need another (praying I don't), I'd probably try a Pilkington windshield.

2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring w/ Tech Package - Meteor Gray Mica
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan, Manual - Titanium Silver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RightYouAreKen For This Useful Post:
blackngold75 (03-20-2019), Byakuya (07-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for sharing this - great info.

Just last week, I was on the highway and caught a rock up high on the windshield, right around where the camera and sensors are located. The crack spread almost right away and it was time for a replacement. I went to a local auto glass shop that I have used before: originally they were going to use an aftermarket windshield which I was fine with. However, after they looked at my 2017 Grand Touring they did a little research and said they could only get OEM glass to fit with my options. The owner said they'd replaced windshields on at least 20 late model Mazda6's, but this was the first time he had seen one like mine. Did the tech options change that much in 2017+?

2017 Grand Touring, Soul Red
OEM Splash Guards|OEM Cargo Net|LED Courtesy Lights|LED License Plate Lights|OEM Android Auto/Carplay Retrofit|Remote Start
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
I had a rock hit my windshield last year and normally I foot the bill on windshield replacements ($200 or so.) When I called Safelite, they quoted me $800 with a recommended $300 calibration fee. I have a 2014 GT.

Luckily my insurance fitted the bill. The invoice stated they paid $487. I will have to look at the windshield now and see who made it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Just had my glass replaced on my 2018 which has all the front sensors. Paid just my deductible but the total invoice was for around $1200, which included the calibration fee. Interesting thing was that the glass was shipped up from a Mazda dealer in San Diego, about 400mi away. Guess that's where my insurance carrier has their deal at.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to toy4x
AAA replaced mine a month ago. Costs around $700.. my deduct is $500.

My 16 doesnt have lane dep so I didnt have to get the cameras realigned. If yours does have lane dep, they need to take it in to mazda and have them recalibrated. "Supposedly" as the windshield guy said most the times they dont need it redone as theres a bracket already built into the replacement window.

A month later, need my windshield replaced again as I got 3 rock hits last week.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Amazing how much the price varies: my quoted price including the camera alignment was a little over $600. The price before the OEM windshield was required was going to be about $300. The shop I use says Safelite is changing several hundred dollars extra for that camera reset service and my shop doesn't charge even close to that.

My shop also had to get a windshield from a Mazda dealer as they couldn't get one that matched from their aftermarket suppliers.

There's so much debris on the roads any more that I have a feeling this won't be my last windshield replacement on this car, but I hope it is.

2017 Grand Touring, Soul Red
OEM Splash Guards|OEM Cargo Net|LED Courtesy Lights|LED License Plate Lights|OEM Android Auto/Carplay Retrofit|Remote Start
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
That's the downside of those technologies. Radar, sonar, camera, light and rain sensor, heat strip to melt the ice... All nice to have until you get into a crash or get a rock thrown at your windshield. Insurance won't get cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Thanked 1,156 Times in 843 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
One advantage of having 100% glass coverage from State Farm.

Between the winter weather, the sand/sleet/etc., the construction sites I drive through, plus road debris kicked up (or dropped) by the dumbass 10-wheel dump truck and concrete truck drivers, I've replaced 2 windshields in 6 years on my 2004 6, and 2 more in 8 years on my '10, without a penny out-of-pocket.
93blkongreenpro likes this.

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page