post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Window Tint

Ok, I purchased my 2015 Mazda 6 Touring from a Chevrolet dealer after 1 owner. Thrilled with the car, doing a few minor modifications (with the help of the good people of this forum).

The windows are tinted, very nicely, very professional. Here is a picture of the info in the corner -- any details that can be gleaned from that? Such as % tint, what is that information .

Thanks,
Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_171415.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	200929  

He Who Hesitates . . . Is Lost . . .
2015 Mazda 6 Touring MT
Blue Reflex Mica

Tinted Windows, F/R Splash Guards, Spoiler, Powerbass Amp, 4 x Powerbass Speakers, Trunk/Eng Compartment LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Window Tint

That's the factory window etching which has nothing to do with the window tint that was applied by the previous owner. All cars have this etching.

Window tint does not come with any markings as it's just a tinted film that's applied to the inside of a window that comes in large roles and is cut to fit in sections by the installer.

The is absolutely no way of determining the brand of tint. You may be able to tell the % if you go to your local police station and have them measure with their tint meter. This could be risky if tint is illegal in your area. Most tint is 35% which is also the legal limit in many areas.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by my95tsi; 03-19-2017 at 08:02 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 782 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2882 Post(s)
Thanked 4,059 Times in 2,851 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
^^ What this guy said.

Could also bring it to your local tint shop and have them measure it for free.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:49 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Question about tint, I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Touring.Does front and back windows come tinted directly from factory(even if it is lightly tinted)?
I see a sticker which says "Laminate" on all windows, so not sure if the windows are already lightly tinted.
I inquired a 3rd party they said they will charge me $225-250 to do the tinting, not sure if it is worth .
Any help is appreciated!

2018 Mazda6 Touring with Snowflake White Mica and Sand Interior
The Following User Says Thank You to bsandesh For This Useful Post:
Brightshen (06-07-2019)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandesh View Post
Question about tint, I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Touring.Does front and back windows come tinted directly from factory(even if it is lightly tinted)?
I see a sticker which says "Laminate" on all windows, so not sure if the windows are already lightly tinted.
I inquired a 3rd party they said they will charge me $225-250 to do the tinting, not sure if it is worth .
Any help is appreciated!
Yes, the windows come from the factory at 95% tint. That means, if you add 35% tint on top of it, the windows will actually register at about 32%, and that's illegal in many states so be cautious.

$225 - 250 is very reasonable for tint; that's about what I paid for mine and 6 years later it still looks great. Just remember that the tint is likely to fade a bit over time. My tint isn't quite as dark as it was 6 years ago. I should probably get it registered to see just how much it has lost.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Yes, the windows come from the factory at 95% tint. That means, if you add 35% tint on top of it, the windows will actually register at about 32%, and that's illegal in many states so be cautious.

$225 - 250 is very reasonable for tint; that's about what I paid for mine and 6 years later it still looks great. Just remember that the tint is likely to fade a bit over time. My tint isn't quite as dark as it was 6 years ago. I should probably get it registered to see just how much it has lost.
Thank You.I am fine with the factory tint I have right now even though it is very light.
My main reason for adding 35% tint level is to reduce the glare at night from side mirrors.My side mirrors do not have auto dimming feature, I believe side mirror dimming is only available on GT or GT Reserve and higher Trims.
Not sure if 35% tint level will help in that regard.

Last edited by bsandesh; 03-15-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank You.I am fine with the factory tint I have right now even though it is very light.
My main reason for adding 35% tint level is to reduce the glare at night from side mirrors.My side mirrors do not have auto dimming feature, I believe side mirror dimming is only available on GT or GT Reserve and higher Trims.
Auto dimming side mirrors? What I have is the rear view mirror. I think they stripped some features compared to US market.

I plan to install a clear tint but I'm​ having second thoughts as it might be too bright around 10 AM to 3 PM. Otherwise, I'll settle for a light tint.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:43 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
Auto dimming side mirrors? What I have is the rear view mirror. I think they stripped some features compared to US market.

I plan to install a clear tint but I'm​ having second thoughts as it might be too bright around 10 AM to 3 PM. Otherwise, I'll settle for a light tint.
Yup! My GT has them and they're glorious (auto dimming mirrors).

The tint will definitely help tone side mirror headlight glare down a bit but, because of the way tint works, even 35% isn't super dark when looking out from inside.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Unfortunately, it's only on the driver's side. The passenger side doesn't auto dim on the 3rd gen. It did on my 2nd gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:50 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Yup! My GT has them and they're glorious (auto dimming mirrors).

The tint will definitely help tone side mirror headlight glare down a bit but, because of the way tint works, even 35% isn't super dark when looking out from inside.
I know, when purchasing I upgraded the rear view mirror.But there is no package on touring to upgrade the side mirrors to have auto dimming feature as well.I hope the 35% tint will reduce the glare at least , I know it can never completely eliminate the glare. Especially the trucks, glare from side mirrors is so blinding.

Last edited by bsandesh; 03-15-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page