23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Cars are depreciating assets and you do not control the depreciation schedule!

You buy them for their utility value. If you do otherwise you're asking for trouble; in particular the EXPECTED depreciation schedule can easily not materialize and wind up going the wrong way.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
A manual will always take a harder blow on resale. Also, you have the Sport model. Base models don't fare well on depreciation either. People want the mid-grade or premium models. I bought a 2010 Fusion S brand new, barebones. Paid $21K for it. When I went to trade it in after 5yrs and 102K, I was offered $6K on trade-in. That's about a 70% hit. Now if I had the Automatic, I could have fetched an extra $1000. But I could never be talked into an automatic.
BrianU likes this.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
A manual will always take a harder blow on resale. Also, you have the Sport model. Base models don't fare well on depreciation either. People want the mid-grade or premium models. I bought a 2010 Fusion S brand new, barebones. Paid $21K for it. When I went to trade it in after 5yrs and 102K, I was offered $6K on trade-in. That's about a 70% hit. Now if I had the Automatic, I could have fetched an extra $1000. But I could never be talked into an automatic.

Yeah, I know base models don't fare as well. I have upgraded mine with 19s, fog lamps and other accessories but that won't translate to any change in resale except maybe to the right private buyer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Guys....you don't have to cheer me up with this I don't expect my M6 will fair worse than my last dodge, in perfect condition it was worth $800.
6speeder6 likes this.

John Palmeri
2017 Mazda 6 i Sport
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Not to be rude, but the Mazda6 or any other mid-sized sedan is not purchased as an investment but as a tool. You can go cheap or spend more dollars for additional features, but it's not likely to impact the percentage of depreciation more than a couple of percent. Different manufactures within a class will have higher and lower values; I selected Mazda coming from Honda because I wanted a higher trim line with a manual transmission that was fun to drive. Go check on the depreciation of a $100,000 German sedan and realize that the people that buy them do so for the prestige and or performance, not resale value!
jayrod88 and Konagregg like this.

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM NAVI, cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
True that. In reality, depreciation has the greatest effect when applied to leasing where Residual value has a direct impact on monthly payment. It's why, back in the 80's cars like Buick Regals and Olds Cutlasses were better lease values than much higher quality cars in the same class.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
As much as I trade in vehicles, I'd be a perfect candidate for a lease... if not for the 20000mi./yr I put on my cars. I'm with others on this, you can't buy a car and expect to keep value unless it's a numbered limited edition.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Two of the biggest reasons I bought my 2015 Manual Touring was, #1 it was a manual, #2 I had bought my daughter a 2011 Mazda 3 iSport manual, and I was impressed with the workmanship and how it handled, #3 I liked this color, and I was buying a used car, so to get the color I wanted was even better. Also, with a manual, probably 80% of the population cannot drive it.

There are things I'd like to do, to improve it for me, like interior lighting, and trunk lighting. Plus, I'd like to improve the sound system.

(Now, I'm trying to get to 10 posts so I can msg guys, and view links and pics : - ((

Cheers
BrianU likes this.

He Who Hesitates . . . Is Lost . . .
2015 Mazda 6 Touring MT
Blue Reflex Mica

Tinted Windows, F/R Splash Guards, Spoiler, Powerbass Amp, 4 x Powerbass Speakers, Trunk/Eng Compartment LEDs
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
Not to be rude, but the Mazda6 or any other mid-sized sedan is not purchased as an investment but as a tool. You can go cheap or spend more dollars for additional features, but it's not likely to impact the percentage of depreciation more than a couple of percent. Different manufactures within a class will have higher and lower values; I selected Mazda coming from Honda because I wanted a higher trim line with a manual transmission that was fun to drive. Go check on the depreciation of a $100,000 German sedan and realize that the people that buy them do so for the prestige and or performance, not resale value!

Thanks, I've bought and sold many cars and get the drift. I started this thread only because of my initial shock on the value of my 2 year old car. I know Mazda is in the middle somewhere on depreciation. I came from a BMW 335d - talk about depreciation.
babyluv2 likes this.

Last edited by 6speeder6; 02-23-2017 at 02:08 AM.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
Maybe when you're talking trade in or in non-enthusiast cars. But I believe that as manuals continue to get rarer people will continue to seek them out on the second hand market and be willing to pay more for them. If you sell to a soccer mom, they'll favor an auto. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear of enthusiasts scouring the CL ads for manual 6s.

It's not apples to apples, but with sporty cars manuals are worth FAR more than autos. Take E36 M3s...a manual in the same condition as an auto will be worth at LEAST 50% more.

2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring w/ Tech Package - Meteor Gray Mica
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan, Manual - Titanium Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page