Mazda 6 Forums banner

Need opinion on my new wheels

15K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  salasjairo 
#1 ·
So I needed to replace the the tires and the wheels had some curb rash so I figured maybe upgrading them as well. I went with 255/40r19 with Drag DR-37 wheels. I did not see anyone with these wheels on the 6 so I just went off pictures and how it looked on other cars and took a gamble. After getting them installed yesterday, I'm having mixed feelings on how it looks. It's not quite how I envisioned. It doesn't really have that elegant look anymore IMO. I'm contemplating on going back to the stock wheels and going with 245/45s. What do you guys think? Would like to hear any feedback.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Luxury vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mazda Mazda6

See less See more
#2 ·
Being perfectly honest with you - I like the style but not the finish. They remind me of the TSW Nurbies but the chrome just isn't my thing - personal preference but I'd coat them in something like a gunmetal or even just brushed steel :)

Are they bad? No. Do I personally dislike chrome rims? You better believe it.

#3 ·
I would have to say its the polished chrome look that really throws it off, which is also probably a result of only seeing these wheels on pictures online.
The design of the wheel definitely has that 'tuner' type feel, where the car would probably look better with a bit of an aggressive stance.

I found with aftermarket wheels on this car, the best look tends to lie with straight, multispoke (8+) wheels. But that's personal taste too :p

#4 ·
Yea I didn't realize they'd be THIS shiny because they looked different in the pictures online. I dunno, I'm leaning towards going back to the stockers and throwing the 245/45 Goodyear rs-a2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I'll be honest, I kinda like them. But can see how the super shiny chrome on black can be kind of off putting. And when it comes down to it this is all just personal preference and the person that needs to be happy with it is YOU. Since you don't seem happy with them I'd suggest a few things, first to see if you can keep it from being a wast of money, try a temporary color change to them to see if that changes how you like them. Something like Plastidip-ing them to , as others have said a gun metal or brushed steel color. If you like the look after that then you can go with a more permanent color change like paint or powder coating or completely changing the wheels, if not then going back to stocks may be the right move. Of course this is also just my opinion...take it for what you will.

#9 ·
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I wanted to like these wheels, and they might grown on me over time and maybe painting them darker would make it look much better, but I'm not sure if I want to plastidip them to see if I like it and then paint them darker. What if I dont like them, then I have to take them off again and since I have 30 days to return, I might go back to the stock wheels and go back to the drawing board. Maybe try lowering the car or add some body kits like the MV Tuning stuff to make the car more aggressive looking..I donno...

#10 ·
they might grow on you like you said. Ill be honest I didnt like my wheels after I got them because it was so different than stock, but now I love them. Its gotta suck to think in your head I dont like em every time you walk out to your car. I agree with the others.... gunmetal would look tight. Or if you got tons of money...black chrome :)

#11 ·
Lol unfortunately I don't have tons of money and have a little one on the way. They are starting to grow on me a bit but the wife is not fond of them..

#12 ·
So I been asking this a couple times but never got an answer.

I think the stock 225 size looks shitty on our cars - so the stock wheels can hold 245's ? I am super green when it comes to wheels so excuse my idiotic question.

From what I understand the 245's would be a bit bubbly?

#13 ·
I'm no expert either but I recall reading in a few other threads that the 19's can hold 235's. 245's are not recommended as that size will negatively affect the ride and handling. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject will reaffirm.

#14 · (Edited)
Well the only reason why I thought I could put the 245s on the stock 19's were because of this website where they said the 245/45r19 rim width is from 7.5 to 9. I know ours barely makes the cut..

Attachments

#17 ·
Since you asked, I'll share my thoughts. I hope you don't take offense. I'm not really a fan of the wheels. To me, they don't have the right proportions. They don't really have the right offset or "dish" to them. The color is certainly a part of it, but I think that overall wheel design kinda screams "cheap pep boys wheels" to me.

I had a set of wheels with a similar design about 10 years ago on an Audi A4. These were ASA AR1s. To me, the look was different (better) because of the healthy lip giving the wheels a more purposeful and beefy look. The lines of the car and the relative proportions of car size to wheel size could also be playing a factor here.

#18 ·
Yea, you're right, it just doesn't look right on my car. Do you think the Konig Oversteer would look better? Their Opal color seems more gun metally?

#19 ·
I dunno, it's really hard to tell. The Konig Oversteer is a pretty thinly spoked spikey looking wheel. I'm not sure if it really matches the lines of the 6 or not. I can't find any real world pictures, but did find this mock up via Google.

I think that looks pretty nice, but it's also pretty dicey to choose nice looking aftermarket wheels on a car that isn't lowered like yours. Many can end up looking out of place without the overall aggressive stance of a lowered car.

#20 ·
They're not bad. But what they do make me think at first glance is you just wanted aftermarket wheels and got what you could. That's not to say they don't look OK or cheapen the look at all - I personally don't think they do- but I can see why you may not be crazy about them. I bet a slight drop would significantly change your opinion on them.

#21 ·
Well it appears that I got a steal of a deal with these wheels and to get anything different, I'd have to shell out a lot more out of pocket if I return. My options are now to either paint these wheels, put the stock ones back on and sell these and possibly make some money on em (?) and or get something else..

#23 ·
Guess I've got to start looking in to the cost of lowering springs or coils..

#24 ·
I have chrome wheels on my 6 so obviously I like the look of a chrome wheel, but it definitely has a different effect on a black car.

I'm not sure why but they just look small to me, smaller than the stock 19's

#27 ·
How much drop do the Tanabes give? I don't want to "slam" it or compromise daily drivability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.