Need opinion on my new wheels - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need opinion on my new wheels

So I needed to replace the the tires and the wheels had some curb rash so I figured maybe upgrading them as well. I went with 255/40r19 with Drag DR-37 wheels. I did not see anyone with these wheels on the 6 so I just went off pictures and how it looked on other cars and took a gamble. After getting them installed yesterday, I'm having mixed feelings on how it looks. It's not quite how I envisioned. It doesn't really have that elegant look anymore IMO. I'm contemplating on going back to the stock wheels and going with 245/45s. What do you guys think? Would like to hear any feedback.

Need opinion on my new wheels-img_0087.jpg
Need opinion on my new wheels-img_0088.jpg

'14 Mazda6 GT - Jet Black Mica
'05 Mazdaspeed Miata - Black Mica (sold)
'07 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Red (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 755 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,811 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Being perfectly honest with you - I like the style but not the finish. They remind me of the TSW Nurbies but the chrome just isn't my thing - personal preference but I'd coat them in something like a gunmetal or even just brushed steel

Are they bad? No. Do I personally dislike chrome rims? You better believe it.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would have to say its the polished chrome look that really throws it off, which is also probably a result of only seeing these wheels on pictures online.
The design of the wheel definitely has that 'tuner' type feel, where the car would probably look better with a bit of an aggressive stance.

I found with aftermarket wheels on this car, the best look tends to lie with straight, multispoke (8+) wheels. But that's personal taste too :P

Laus Deo Semper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Yea I didn't realize they'd be THIS shiny because they looked different in the pictures online. I dunno, I'm leaning towards going back to the stockers and throwing the 245/45 Goodyear rs-a2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree with others. The design is beautiful, very german car-ish, but the chrome takes away the grace. I suggest painting it gun metal gray or fluid steel.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'll be honest, I kinda like them. But can see how the super shiny chrome on black can be kind of off putting. And when it comes down to it this is all just personal preference and the person that needs to be happy with it is YOU. Since you don't seem happy with them I'd suggest a few things, first to see if you can keep it from being a wast of money, try a temporary color change to them to see if that changes how you like them. Something like Plastidip-ing them to , as others have said a gun metal or brushed steel color. If you like the look after that then you can go with a more permanent color change like paint or powder coating or completely changing the wheels, if not then going back to stocks may be the right move. Of course this is also just my opinion...take it for what you will.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
The design is great, similar to what I have. But the straight chrome finish is what throws it off, especially on a black car. Perhaps a dip or a spray to a darker color (gunmetal grey) would make them pop better? Not to mention it would also make them less contrasting.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
The design is great, similar to what I have. But the straight chrome finish is what throws it off, especially on a black car. Perhaps a dip or a spray to a darker color (gunmetal grey) would make them pop better? Not to mention it would also make them less contrasting.
TL;DR of my post, LOL
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I wanted to like these wheels, and they might grown on me over time and maybe painting them darker would make it look much better, but I'm not sure if I want to plastidip them to see if I like it and then paint them darker. What if I dont like them, then I have to take them off again and since I have 30 days to return, I might go back to the stock wheels and go back to the drawing board. Maybe try lowering the car or add some body kits like the MV Tuning stuff to make the car more aggressive looking..I donno...

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Garage
they might grow on you like you said. Ill be honest I didnt like my wheels after I got them because it was so different than stock, but now I love them. Its gotta suck to think in your head I dont like em every time you walk out to your car. I agree with the others.... gunmetal would look tight. Or if you got tons of money...black chrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page