LED Underglow install | wire routing - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
LED Underglow install | wire routing

I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this but I didn't see one for our 3rd gens. I bought an LED underglow kit (bars) that I would like to install under my 2015 mazda 6 touring. I have installed an under-dash led kit myself but have never installed underglow. Shops are asking anywhere from $150-$500 to install them but I want to do it myself. My biggest concern is that I'm not sure exactly how to lead the wires from the bottom of the car to inside the engine bay (where I have to mount the transponder near the battery/fuse box). Which way should I route the wires so that they don't come into or close to contact with moving parts, heat, etc. Also, if you guys have recommendations where exactly to mount the bars under the car so that when I jack up the car, the leds wont get crushed. Say what you want, yes they are ricey and tacky but I've loved them since I was a kid playing need for speed underground lol Any help would be much appreciated.
kufliclicks, soopa76 and txsv_2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Bump!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:47 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 755 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,811 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Hmmm, never even saw this post originally.

First: Check with your local/state regulations - As far as I'm aware, these are strictly prohibited in the vast majority of jurisdictions and will get you pulled over immediately.

For running the wires, your best bet is probably somewhere along the wheel well/fender liner. There's plenty of space behind all that plastic, and a few nice openings to the engine bay. Won't be super easy to get your hands up there, but taking the tire off and unclipping the liner will help a ton.

For mounting them, I'd say anywhere is appropriate so long as you still have a place to jack the car up. The easiest might be right alongside the metal juncture that's directly below your doors. If you put the strip on the inside (closer to center of car) of the juncture, you won't get any direct view of the LEDs from the side of the car, but they'll give off a ton of light directly under.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

The Following User Says Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
zWaj (04-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Garage
Mount them towards the middle of the car, beyond your frame rails. IIRC there are some flat enough spots that will work. If they're strips, jacking up the car shouldn't hurt as long as they're away from the jackpoints. For routing the wires, I would run them into the mudguards, and up and over. Driver's side mudguard covers part of the undercarriage, so run them back there. Passenger is the same, but then tuck the wires up under the back of the engine bay, near the wipers. Mate everything together behind your battery/fuxebox/strut tower/etc. Piggyback off an always-lit fuse. If you want, you can run an auxiliary switch into the cabin through the OEM harness's grommet in the firewall. Mount the switch in the coinholder to the left of the wheel and you're set. If not, you can always just mount a switch under the engine bay for ease of install, but I would route it inside. You'll need a lot of wire. Easy peasy, and best of luck.

EDIT: Didn't realize Byakuya was posting at the same time I was! Glad we're on the same wavelength though.

-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeffer For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (04-14-2017), zWaj (04-17-2017)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Garage
Looking to do this as a function with my puddle lights so it lights the under area of the car only when i open the door. If i get a chance soon ill get pictures up.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Update: Thank you to those who replied. Haven't been on the forums for a while and actually did the install with a friend a few months ago myself (along with some help of a friend to zip tie the wires so they don't hang). I did exactly what @Zeffer and @Byakuya said and ran the wires through the mudguards but it was a real PITA to route and especially zip-tie them so they don't hang. If I were to do it again, I would go with a wireless setup (I think XKGlow makes one). Have had them for maybe 3-4 months and have had no issues with them so far.

Cops: I know people who have been pulled over for underglows before in MA but I think I've been lucky. I was pulled over a few weeks ago for speeding (warning) by a local cop and he didn't say anything about my exhaust (muffler delete - mad loud) or underglows on. I've been "trying" to drive with white underglows (to see if cops bother me) and have passed multiple cops anywhere from Worcester area in MA to Boston without issues. I can change the colors but I drive with white on because it doesn't attract as much attention that blue and red does (cops hate blue and red on regular cars and will give you sh*t for them - "impersonating a police officer" type of ticket). So far they haven't bothered me about it but its better not to risk it.

By the way, because the car has dual exhaust, I didn't mount the back strip, just makes it a bigger pain. This mod was well worth the 6+ hours I spent to install it!

Last edited by zWaj; 04-17-2017 at 02:46 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
And where are the pics?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTOGONPC View Post
And where are the pics?
Had so many pics on my old phone but legit cracked the whole screen few weeks ago. When I get it fixed I will upload more but here is one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zWajM6_s4w.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	202737  
OCTOGONPC and kufliclicks like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to zWaj For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (04-19-2017)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Thumbs up One or Many...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zWaj View Post
Had so many pics on my old phone but legit cracked the whole screen few weeks ago. When I get it fixed I will upload more but here is one.
- Niiiiice!!

Is your kit a one color or RGB kit?

What brand you buy (Link)?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Brian O'Connor approved!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
OCTOGONPC and zWaj like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page