My thoughts after 6 months - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thoughts after 6 months

i bought a 2014 GT fully loaded in december and have put maybe 2k miles on it since. So it has about 17k on it now. I'm taking into the dealer soon to have the door sash moulding fixed (i received a letter about it - i assume they mean that the rubber sealer may break off, which mine is pealing really badly). But over the 2k miles, i have noticed the following (and will mention to the dealer)

- Navigation randomly locks up. Usually when i accept the agreement on screen (which is annoying), it finds my position, i start driving and switch to the audio screen. 10 mins later, i go back to the Nav screen, and it shows where i was when i started the car and never updates or repositions.
- Drivers side splash guard is sagging (under rear passenger door)
- The audio bass adjustment is in a horrible range. I dont know what Hz it adjusts, but even when i turn the bass all the way down (which i have to), the speakers are still pounding.
- Radio speed/sound adjustment isnt working (assuming its supposed to have it anyway - i was told it does).
- HD radio is always searching for a signal. It fades in and out. In my other 2 cars, they pick up a perfect signal all the time.
- Rear chrome moulding (above passenger brake light, about a 6 inch long piece of plastic) is starting to come off. Maybe due to the trunk being closed over and over.
- Brake lights always get moisture inside. Usually on a humid day or when its raining.
- Passenger fog light is aimed way up into the sky.
- Auto-headlights dont always turn left/right when i turn the steering wheel (that can seriously be dangerous if they get stuck pointing to the side)
- Transmission is out of gear for a second when downshifting. For example, if I am going 30mph, foot off the pedal, and i hit the left paddle shifter to downshift, it will leave the gear, and sit there for a second, then finally enter a lower gear)
- Rain sensor wipers dont always work (so i just turned them off anyway).
- When going over a hump where one side of the car lifts up and the other side follows (kind of like when turning into a parking lot on an incline) i hear a massive crack in the cabin in the back. Hopefully the rear window doesnt bust out.
- People on the other end of the phone have a hard time hearing me. I tried to find where the microphone is but cant.

Some of the above may be defects or recalls but ill definitely mention them to the dealer. Is there anything else I should bring up? I thought i read somewhere that the maps on the navigation have to be updated manually (firmware) so i suppose i would have to request that.

Last edited by pro; 07-02-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
I have a 2015 GT...I agree about the bass adjustment frequency range...it's pretty bad.

For the auto speed/sound level adjustment, AudioPilot needs to be turned on. It is pretty subtle, but it works.

2015 Mazda6 GT (Soul Red/Tech Package)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
I have a 2015 GT...I agree about the bass adjustment frequency range...it's pretty bad.

For the auto speed/sound level adjustment, AudioPilot needs to be turned on. It is pretty subtle, but it works.
I have audiopilot turned on. It must be really really subtle, or just doesnt work. I guess Ill have the dealer test it out for me.

My 05 is horrrrible. At a stop sign you cant hear anything, but at 70mph your ears will blow out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Audiopilot works but is subtle because Bose wanted it to be rather imperceptible. It raises certain ranges in the EQ based in what noises are prevalent using a microphone so that u adjusts certain sounds that are being masked, rather than a regular audio level control that just raises volume, which means sometimes you're getting too much, for example, treble at highway speeds, which can ruin the audio quality. Imo it's worked for sure, but like many have commented, it's sometimes not too effective and I end up increasing the volume myself.

In regards to the bass being overpowering, check your sound input device? What settings/EQ do you have it on there? If even after toying with that, perhaps bring it in to the dealership or mechanic.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakzaz View Post
Audiopilot works but is subtle because Bose wanted it to be rather imperceptible. It raises certain ranges in the EQ based in what noises are prevalent using a microphone so that u adjusts certain sounds that are being masked, rather than a regular audio level control that just raises volume, which means sometimes you're getting too much, for example, treble at highway speeds, which can ruin the audio quality. Imo it's worked for sure, but like many have commented, it's sometimes not too effective and I end up increasing the volume myself.

In regards to the bass being overpowering, check your sound input device? What settings/EQ do you have it on there? If even after toying with that, perhaps bring it in to the dealership or mechanic.

I have tested all of the input types. Radio, bluetooth, USB (which reminds me, add to the list that the USB functionality is so slow and a lot of times doesnt work), 3.5mm jack. All of them with the bass down have the issue. So like others said it must be something with the bose design.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 778 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Thanked 4,058 Times in 2,850 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
The taillights getting moisture in them is certainly something the dealership needs to attend to, as well as your moulding and splash guards failing so early.

The navigation locking up on you is most likely it being outdated. While the updated version isn't great, it's MUCH more usable than the original one that came in the car. You're best bet is to do it yourself on a home PC - it only takes a few minutes.

I'm not sure what's going on with the bass, as the vast majority of 3rd gen owners, including myself, complain of the significant LACK of bass in these cars. Did someone own the car before you and sneak a woofer under the seats or something?

The phone audio being low *could* have something to do with your phone's software version. Specifically in apple products I've noticed that the further out of date you are, the more problems that the phone seems to have with the navigation.......with the exception of an iPhone 4 running iOS 6 - I have one that I only use as an iPod since it has more storage and it works perfectly via bluetooth.

....The more I read some of your problems, I feel like the dealership really needs to take a good look at your car. Things are starting to sound like you might have an electrical anomaly - which unfortunately is VERY hard to both diagnose and fix. Perhaps the stealership just needs to flash your ECU again and update the firmware, but all these little nuances are making me suspicious.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The back glass cracking noise is due to some alignment pins on it. There is a Mazda TSB #09-025 /14 out for it, so see if your dealer will fix it for you for free. My dealer wouldn't do it so I ended up doing it myself, which isn't that difficult either. Just lower the rear headliner and trim the two white alignment pins off with some side cutters.
Related thread:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/models-t...ar-window.html

TSB:
http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/mazda...ionPrint=print

Also, +1 on updating your Nav. It was a big improvement. It still sucks, but sucks less.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro View Post
I have tested all of the input types. Radio, bluetooth, USB (which reminds me, add to the list that the USB functionality is so slow and a lot of times doesnt work), 3.5mm jack. All of them with the bass down have the issue. So like others said it must be something with the bose design.
Ahh, try bringing it in for the dealer or your local mechanic to have a look, seems like you've checked almost everything. Let us know how it goes though.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
pro

Here are the results from the visit (my comments underneath each point):

- Navigation randomly locks up. Usually when i accept the agreement on screen (which is annoying), it finds my position, i start driving and switch to the audio screen. 10 mins later, i go back to the Nav screen, and it shows where i was when i started the car and never updates or repositions.
(Nav firmware updated)
- Drivers side splash guard is sagging (under rear passenger door)
(replaced but not covered under warranty)
- The audio bass adjustment is in a horrible range. I dont know what Hz it adjusts, but even when i turn the bass all the way down (which i have to), the speakers are still pounding.
(no firmware updates for this)
- Radio speed/sound adjustment isnt working (assuming its supposed to have it anyway - i was told it does).
(working as designed, explained in the manual)
- HD radio is always searching for a signal. It fades in and out. In my other 2 cars, they pick up a perfect signal all the time.
(no explanation, other than I am driving into a dead area)
- Rear chrome moulding (above passenger brake light, about a 6 inch long piece of plastic) is starting to come off. Maybe due to the trunk being closed over and over.
(covered under warranty)
- Brake lights always get moisture inside. Usually on a humid day or when its raining.
(checked for solid gaskets, but otherwise mazda said is normal)
- Passenger fog light is aimed way up into the sky.
(repositioned both lights for free)
- Auto-headlights dont always turn left/right when i turn the steering wheel (that can seriously be dangerous if they get stuck pointing to the side)
(the speed and distance they travel depends on how fast you are driving)
- When going over a hump where one side of the car lifts up and the other side follows (kind of like when turning into a parking lot on an incline) i hear a massive crack in the cabin in the back. Hopefully the rear window doesnt bust out.
(covered under warranty)

I was also charged for replacement of the rubber seal that goes around one of the doors. They seem to come apart real easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page