Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Question 2016 headunit location

In my attempt to add a subwoofer to my bose-equipped mazda 6, I have not been able to find a source for the audio. I found some wiring schematics for the 2014 model, but I can't seem to find the location of the wires.

I am looking for the signal going from head unit to the bose amplifier, so I can tap into the original signal. I looked into removing part of the dash, but didn't make it far before loosing daylight. I can always tap into the signal going to the stock subs in the doors, but I'd prefer to get the original signal.

Any pointers to the location of the headunit or location of a wire that I can tap into would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-04-03 at 10.19.06 PM.jpg
Views:	2255
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	181266  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I think there's an amp under the passenger seat.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Thanks I'll take a look. If it is hopefully I can match the colors on the wiring harness to the diagram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
From looking around I believe the amp may be in the passenger side kick panel. Let me know as I have a '16 GT with Bose and miss my 10" sub in my previous car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
I got everything installed. Thanks to Juan Carlo for pointing me to check under the seat, I should have checked there first, but I guess I was tired from building the box. Here is some info and pictures in case anyone is interested in doing the same.

On my 2016 Touring with Bose and probably the same with a GT, the Bose amp is located under the passenger seat. To get to it you will need to remove 2 10mm bolts, one in the front and one in the back. The amp has 3 connectors. The wiring schematics in my original post matched the wire colors on the car. To tap into the original signal before Bose processing you'll need the connector furthest to the front of the car.

I used the gray and the blue wire. NOTE that the Bose headunit already sends low level signal to the amp, so you do not need a line level converter. All you need is to take your RCA cable, cutting away and splicing one of the terminals and use it to tap into the wires.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front_bolt.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	181522   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_bolt.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	181530   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_connectors.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	181538   Click image for larger version

Name:	almost_finished.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	181546   Click image for larger version

Name:	bose_amp.jpg
Views:	3934
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	181554  

knsaber and wannabelikemike like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mazpro2 For This Useful Post:
cutepoison (02-13-2018), M6-um (04-07-2016), SubiGT (06-01-2016)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Great work!

Anyway you can post a higher quality version of the wiring diagram?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks mazpro2. On your 3rd picture there’s 3 connectors. The green one in the middle, and two black ones. One black connector has 8 thicker wires and the other black connector has smaller wires.
You said you tapped into a blue and a grey wire. Which connector are they located at?
Also how did you get the amplifier to turn on/off with the stereo?
Your install looks clean!!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 01:34 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Those sub-waffers look cool, I have the touring edition just because Mazda doesn't offers the grand touring in manual I'll be upgrading the speakers.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Great work!

Anyway you can post a higher quality version of the wiring diagram?
Sure man, I grabbed it from the interactive worshop manual Byakuya posted in this thread.
Link to Manual Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-um View Post
Thanks mazpro2. On your 3rd picture there’s 3 connectors. The green one in the middle, and two black ones. One black connector has 8 thicker wires and the other black connector has smaller wires.
You said you tapped into a blue and a grey wire. Which connector are they located at?
Also how did you get the amplifier to turn on/off with the stereo?
Your install looks clean!!!!
Thanks! The connector I used was the black one on top. I am attaching another picture pointing it out.

I ran the remote wire before finding the Bose amp, so I just found an ACC wire to turn on the amp under the driver's side dash. I am sure you can grab it from the Bose amp wiring also, so you don't have to go looking for one with I tester like I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
Those sub-waffers look cool, I have the touring edition just because Mazda doesn't offers the grand touring in manual I'll be upgrading the speakers.
Thanks man, do it! it'll be a great upgrade. I am also planning on upgrading the front speakers some time soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	connector.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	181794  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpro2 View Post
I got everything installed. Thanks to Juan Carlo for pointing me to check under the seat, I should have checked there first, but I guess I was tired from building the box. Here is some info and pictures in case anyone is interested in doing the same.

On my 2016 Touring with Bose and probably the same with a GT, the Bose amp is located under the passenger seat. To get to it you will need to remove 2 10mm bolts, one in the front and one in the back. The amp has 3 connectors. The wiring schematics in my original post matched the wire colors on the car. To tap into the original signal before Bose processing you'll need the connector furthest to the front of the car.

I used the gray and the blue wire. NOTE that the Bose headunit already sends low level signal to the amp, so you do not need a line level converter. All you need is to take your RCA cable, cutting away and splicing one of the terminals and use it to tap into the wires.
Sorry to thread dig but this is the most relevant post I've found on the entire internet that contains the info I need.

Anyway, if you happen to see this. I'm trying to do the same in my 2016 6, but I'm adding an entire system and not just a sub. Like you, I also want to take the original signal so I can avoid the annoying Bose processing. I see that you took just the grey and blue wires. Do you know the details of all the signals along that cable? What I'm trying to figure out is if at that point in the chain the source is just a straight up 2-channel stereo signal that's passed using those two wires, referenced to a common ground and you tapped into that, or if before the Bose amp 4 channels are already being generated and you simply tapped into the positive and negative of 1-channel since you were just adding a sub only. So essentially, I just wanted to see if you remember exactly what is being transmitted on those two wires, and if you knew what the neighboring wires are as well.

I'm fine going out to my own car with my scope and experimenting but I was hoping you happened to know so that I have a way to verify that my findings are correct.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page