Consolidated thread for 3rd Gen Mazda 6 pet peeves - Page 13 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
So far (owned the car for 5 days) the biggest thing is that my Avg. MPG always says 29.7, and I can't seem to reset it.

Jay

I believe there is a way to reset via the buttons on the steering wheel, but you can also reset the average MPG and trip computer but pressing the knob sticking out of the gauge cluster on the right side. There is a setting in the entertainment menu about whether you want them both reset at the same time as well. I have this option turned on and just reset both at my fuelup using the cluster knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring w/ Tech Package - Meteor Gray Mica
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan, Manual - Titanium Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:21 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
I believe there is a way to reset via the buttons on the steering wheel, but you can also reset the average MPG and trip computer but pressing the knob sticking out of the gauge cluster on the right side. There is a setting in the entertainment menu about whether you want them both reset at the same time as well. I have this option turned on and just reset both at my fuelup using the cluster knob.

Mine isn't a GT, it's just an i Touring. I don't have the car settings through the radio (or at least they aren't activated) and when I'm on the Avg mpg "screen" and I press and hold the dimmer knob, it just resets my trip odometer. Maybe different if you have Nav and/or the Tech Package.

Jay

2015 Mazda 6 i Touring, Snowflake White Pearl all stock for now.
post #123 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Consolidated thread for 3rd Gen Mazda 6 pet peeves

Quote:
Mine isn't a GT, it's just an i Touring. I don't have the car settings through the radio (or at least they aren't activated) and when I'm on the Avg mpg "screen" and I press and hold the dimmer knob, it just resets my trip odometer. Maybe different if you have Nav and/or the Tech Package.

Jay

Bummer. Ok. I also seem to recall that one of the buttons on the steering wheel can be pressed in the middle in addition to clicked up or down. My recollection is that it might be the info button used to select the trip computer screens. Maybe try that?

<update> confirmed. I tried it on my car this morning. Use the info button to select the screen you want to reset, then press the center of the info button and hold for a couple seconds to reset that screen to 0.

2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring w/ Tech Package - Meteor Gray Mica
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan, Manual - Titanium Silver

Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 04-08-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Groans: 10
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the trip computer and infotainment mpg computer aligned, so when i use the knob on the gauge cluster to reset the trip meter, it resets the mileage computer on the infotainment as well. I do this at every fill up and the mpg reading is usually within 1 mpg of the math i do on paper.
post #125 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Car seems quiet to me. I'm coming from a Soul which had more wind noise.
I don't see the tires as loud. But my Soul had Pirelli P7s which are very quiet tires. I'm torn about replacing the Dunlops, they get anything from zero to 10 ratings from various owners. TR comments are all over the map. They seem quiet to me.

So are comments about other tires such as the Michelin Pilot A/S, Conti DWS06, P-Zero, and BFG COMP2 A/S. Unfortunately the Dunlop SP 5000 are apparently held in such low esteem/interest that neither TR nor CR even tests them.

I'm not hearing the wind noise.

The biggest irritant is the dim dash instruments. That and the complex radio controls.
Most other modern cars have a digital speed readout front and center. I like that and urge Mazda to include it.

The ride is on the performance side. I'd be driving an Optima EX right now but for the utter ineptitude of the KIA and to a lesser extent the Hyundai dealers/sales staff.
Our family has had six KIAs so far and every one was virtually trouble-free. D-I-L had a Rondo (terminated by T-bone), 08 Sorento a real trooper, 17 Sorento. Moi: 07 Spectra, 13 Soul, 15 Soul.

This car gets pretty amazing MPG considering it's heavier than my Soul by a few hundred pounds and has 25% more motor (2.5 vs. 2.0, 184 vs. 164 HP). My worst in the Maz6 is better than my best in the Soul.

I've found the Power button spiffs up the engine's energy level noticeably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogginboink View Post
My pet peeve is that to adjust the dash dimmer, you have to reach THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL!

What idiot thought that this was a good idea?
The two different controls for the trip meters and brightness are weird. I'm quite irritated at how dim the right hand gauge cluster is. I'll fiddle with the little stick some more to see if it adjusts. Controls are NOT intuitive by any stretch.

Quote:
So far (owned the car for 5 days) the biggest thing is that my Avg. MPG always says 29.7, and I can't seem to reset it.

Jay
The little stick at one o'clock to the right of the speedo, hidden by the steering wheel. I had to look in the book, I didn't even know it was there. Interior design is definitely peculiar.
post #126 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Learners License

Garage
I found that little stick no problem (that's how they used to do things back in the day, lol) But it just reset the trip odometer. I'm going out later, so I'm going to try the center of the info button.

On my Genesis Coupe, the original tires didn't seem too loud to me, until I bought some Conti DWS's. Wow, those were so quiet in comparison. And that was in a car that I had done significant sound deadening too. The tires made BY FAR the biggest difference overall. I will be putting DWS's on my 6 when it comes time.
@Neanderthal I also came from Korean cars. I had a Gen coupe (09-12) and a Kia Rio (12 until last Monday) Pretty trouble free car until a couple of months ago. Then it started eating oil...LOTS of it. Like 3 quarts in a Month and a Half. It only took 3.9 to begin with! But it got me over 151k miles in 5 years.

Jay

post #127 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The little stick was usually center bottom, where you could actually see it and because every car had one, you knew what it was.

The lack of intuitive controls is troubling, considering the breathless reviews the CD types type.
post #128 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Learners License

Garage
I found the stick easy enough and knew what it was. The placement is odd, but I don't reset the trip odometer very often, so it's not really a big deal. And other than having to use the center of the info button to reset the avg mpg (confirmed, thanks!) I've found the controls to be simple enough to figure out.

Jay
af1 likes this.

post #129 of 148 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Most annoying Mazda 6 features

I've had my 6 for almost 6 months now. Overall I really like the car, but there are some things I am annoyed with on almost a daily basis:

1. Proximity key range is too small. I can't walk around to the other side of the car or even refuel without the car locking itself. Makes loading and unloading 2 kids a bit of a pain. Also, because the range is so short, if you are walking away as you close the door, the key is out of range before the door closes and the Walkaway feature doesn't trigger.

I love the idea of the Walkaway Lock feature but in a lot of situations it is frustrating and almost useless with such a short range on the prox key.

2. When the car is totally unlocked, opening the trunk still requires the key or the interior trunk release button. If the car is unlocked, why can't you just walk up to the trunk and open it?

3. Hmm, I knew there was a third thing that annoyed me. Let me think for a few minutes while Mazda Connect loads...

4. No locking glove box. I can't remember the last car I drove in that didn't have a lockable interior compartment.

2017 Mazda 6 Touring manual

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #130 of 148 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
I've had my 6 for almost 6 months now. Overall I really like the car, but there are some things I am annoyed with on almost a daily basis:

1. Proximity key range is too small. I can't walk around to the other side of the car or even refuel without the car locking itself. Makes loading and unloading 2 kids a bit of a pain. Also, because the range is so short, if you are walking away as you close the door, the key is out of range before the door closes and the Walkaway feature doesn't trigger.

I love the idea of the Walkaway Lock feature but in a lot of situations it is frustrating and almost useless with such a short range on the prox key.
I haven't had issues with the proximity lock since I figured out its quirks. If 1/2 a second of waiting for the door to close is too much of an inconvenience, then I'm not sure if anything is going to resolve your issue. Conversely, I find that if I'm at the rear corner of the car when shutting the rear doors, I'm out of range so it won't auto-lock. That's handy when I need to unload from the passenger side. I think it's just a matter of learning the range and using it to your advantage versus having it work against you.
Quote:
2.When the car is totally unlocked, opening the trunk still requires the key or the interior trunk release button. If the car is unlocked, why can't you just walk up to the trunk and open it?
It's a security feature that I personally appreciate. The fob is so small, why wouldn't you just keep it in your pocket?
Quote:
3. Hmm, I knew there was a third thing that annoyed me. Let me think for a few minutes while Mazda Connect loads...
Now this is a complaint that many will share. I have no experience with Mazda Connect 3, but version 2 is a slug. Half the time, it times out before picking up on my USB mp3 player (which is alwyas plugged in) and I think it's extremely annoying that it always resets the USB connection when starting so I lose my shuffle order.
Quote:
4. No locking glove box. I can't remember the last car I drove in that didn't have a lockable interior compartment.
I can't remember the last time I drove a car that HAD a locking glove box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page