Cheapest way to modify my exhaust for a deeper and louder sound? - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndName View Post
Great feedback. I noticed with my old cars + aftermarket exhaust that sometimes I hear a "ricey grumbling" at certain RPM. Based on your experience with the Corksport, do you hear any of that? Is it consistently a nice growl or are there a hint of fart canning now and then? That's one thing I am afraid of.

I've had it on for about a week now, and from someone who despises the "fart can" sound, I can attest that I'm not getting any of that out of the exhaust.

At low RPM's (2.5k and under) you get a distinct growl exhaust note (I also have a Corksport SRI which adds additional sound); once you hit 2.5-3.5k it seems to quite down a bit, but at 3.5k and above it wakes back up. At higher RPM's and WOT you don't get the deeper growl that you do from the lower RPM's, but it's still a deeper sound than what you would expect out of a 4 cylinder.

Granted, it is quite a bit louder than stock (loud to the point that it REALLY annoys my wife), but I'll restate that I'm not getting any fart can noises coming from the exhaust. If I did I would've re-installed the stock muffler and put the Corksport up for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ 2014 M6 iTouring ~
- 20" Versante wheels
- Corksport SRI
- Corksport Axel-Back Exhaust
- LED Interior Lighting
- XuJi Black Suede Steering Wheel Cover
- GP Thunder 8500K Xenon Low's/High's
- 35% / 20% Llumar Tint
- VLED rear tail lights & side markers
- Centric cross-drilled brake rotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1219 View Post
I understand how turbos work. What i dont understand is you still have exhaust going through the exhaust system, weather it spins a turbo on its way out or not shouldn't have an effect on its exit sound, which is dictated by the muffler, cat, resonator, etc...

with that said, i have never stood and compared a turbo vs non turbo exhaust sound of the same car. I would speculate that they probably have different oem exhaust systems and that is what is causing the sound difference, not the fact that the air is used to spin a turbine on its way out the back door.

well, in fact they do have different exhaust systems, up front anyway.
I know it's late as I haven't been on in a bit, but turbo and naturally aspirated cars do not have the same exhaust systems. Turbo cars go from the turbo back, and naturally aspirated cars go from the header back because there is no turbo. The turbo is a part of the exhaust.

If you understood how turbos work, you would know this.

Stock exhausts come muffled to hell for the average consumer so they won't have to hear the drone, so you won't be able to tell the difference until you get past 4 or 5k RPMS. Put a straight pipe on a N/A car and a straight pipe on a boosted car and you will be able to tell a big difference.

Love the turbo whistle and pops from my car. I don't have a front mount intercooler, so no one can really tell my car is boosted visually. I will get the occasional person who will roll up at a stop light and ask me how much PSI I'm pushing, though because they can hear the turbo from the exhaust.
mendozahtc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cobb AP - CP-E Nano SRI - CP-E Single exit CBE - CP-E RMM - PG TIP - SLS TP - Forge V1 BPV - HKS Hipermax LS+ Coilovers - Car_LED Tails - Prosport Gauges - Dashhawk - JBR SSP/Counterweight/Bushings/Heavy Shift Knob

- SOLD
Instagram: JKalai
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjkalai View Post
I know it's late as I haven't been on in a bit, but turbo and naturally aspirated cars do not have the same exhaust systems. Turbo cars go from the turbo back, and naturally aspirated cars go from the header back because there is no turbo. The turbo is a part of the exhaust.

If you understood how turbos work, you would know this.

Stock exhausts come muffled to hell for the average consumer so they won't have to hear the drone, so you won't be able to tell the difference until you get past 4 or 5k RPMS. Put a straight pipe on a N/A car and a straight pipe on a boosted car and you will be able to tell a big difference.

Love the turbo whistle and pops from my car. I don't have a front mount intercooler, so no one can really tell my car is boosted visually. I will get the occasional person who will roll up at a stop light and ask me how much PSI I'm pushing, though because they can hear the turbo from the exhaust.
Great. My last sentence above mentioned the obvious difference in exhaust tubing required for a turbo. So what was your point? you have pops and whistles and you like them? im happy for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I love the sounds of a turbo 4. I loved the sound of my Evo with a 3inch turbo back but I admit the Subaru's boxer sounds the best. However my favorite sounding vehicle is the MK2 turbo Supra. That's one of the best sounding cars in existence with its 3.0 straight 6.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ZackDickey likes this.
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Great. My last sentence above mentioned the obvious difference in exhaust tubing required for a turbo. So what was your point? you have pops and whistles and you like them? im happy for you.
...that a turbo can change the sound of the exhaust note, and that your line of thinking that boosted and I4 = fart can and V8 = ear sex is wrong. There are too many variables (turbo/wastegate/muffler/resonator) to indicate on a specific car to whether it sounds good or not.

With the sound of my car it's not visually apparent that I'm running a boosted setup, but people can tell by just the exhaust note that I'm pushing air which is missing the point I was trying to make.

Cobb AP - CP-E Nano SRI - CP-E Single exit CBE - CP-E RMM - PG TIP - SLS TP - Forge V1 BPV - HKS Hipermax LS+ Coilovers - Car_LED Tails - Prosport Gauges - Dashhawk - JBR SSP/Counterweight/Bushings/Heavy Shift Knob

- SOLD
Instagram: JKalai
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjkalai View Post
...that a turbo can change the sound of the exhaust note, and that your line of thinking that boosted and I4 = fart can and V8 = ear sex is wrong. There are too many variables (turbo/wastegate/muffler/resonator) to indicate on a specific car to whether it sounds good or not.

With the sound of my car it's not visually apparent that I'm running a boosted setup, but people can tell by just the exhaust note that I'm pushing air which is missing the point I was trying to make.

Give the guy a break, he's probably an older southern folk that loves NASCAR and believes that nothing sounds better than a V8.

Drive straight, turn left!

ZackDickey likes this.
post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 07:52 PM

Nothing I said is wrong. 4 bangers with "performance mufflers" sound like fart cans. This is simply a fact of life. If you like or prefer that sound, good for you. Fart can on down the road. That's your choice. Just keep in mind, there's nothing wrong with a quiet exhaust versus a car that farts, so dont be afraid to go quiet. You certainly can have a fast AND quiet car.

If people can tell u have a turbo by listening to your exhaust note, you might need a new mechanic.
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Nothing I said is wrong. 4 bangers with "performance mufflers" sound like fart cans. This is simply a fact of life. If you like or prefer that sound, good for you. Fart can on down the road. That's your choice. Just keep in mind, there's nothing wrong with a quiet exhaust versus a car that farts, so dont be afraid to go quiet. You certainly can have a fast AND quiet car.

If people can tell u have a turbo by listening to your exhaust note, you might need a new mechanic.
You must be a pure joy at parties! You're ignorance is beyond unbelievable since you claim your opinions to be fact.

Mason1019 likes this.
post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:50 AM

It is a fact. You can deny that to make yourself feel better? ...not sure why anybody would or could deny it. its well known what a fart can exhaust is and what kinds of cars produce those sounds.

So what isnt a fact? did I dream this? or do 4 bangers with exhausts sound like fart cans? yep....they sure do. fact.

yeah, just save both our our time and dont respond or comment anymore
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 07:24 AM

Cheapest way to modify my exhaust for a deeper and louder sound?

Quote:
It is a fact. You can deny that to make yourself feel better? ...not sure why anybody would or could deny it. its well known what a fart can exhaust is and what kinds of cars produce those sounds.

So what isnt a fact? did I dream this? or do 4 bangers with exhausts sound like fart cans? yep....they sure do. fact.

yeah, just save both our our time and dont respond or comment anymore

Just leave this thread. You've provided no contribution. Please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I changed my perception of you based on your childish responses. You aren't an old NASCAR loving southern folk. You're probably 16 and mommy and daddy bought you your first car.

kufliclicks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page