Installing stock spoiler, need to drill? - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 44 Times in 37 Posts
Obviously, I haven't bought the spoiler yet. The pdf instructions are not clear as looking at all the parts in front of you.

But yeah, pictures would be helpful. Now where do I get a guide punch. Any links? And no, I just can't go to a hardware store and find it out of other thousands of items in there. Lol

Cutting oil, so this works as lubrication. How do you seal the bare metal. What do you use and where to get it?

It is possible that it could fade at a faster rate this why I would apply more wax or sealant to it. $350 for a oem is too much.

I don't have a drill and there are so many im a complete drill virgin, have no idea which one to get, what speeds would I need, what speed to use for this job, etc.

If anyone could lead me to an affordable drill? If it costs more than $70, I might as well pay a shop to install it, doubt they would charge me more than $100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groans: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I have been looking to replace my old drill. While there are lower end drills available in the $60-70 range, a decent drill (not the best) will cost upward of a $100.

There are general use drills (low end) and heavy duty (high end); corded and cordless. I am currently looking at a cordless Dewault thatís currently priced at $150.

Hope that helps

2016 Mazda6 GT Snowflake White Pearl
2018 Mazda3 Touring Titanium Flash

post #43 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenwht6 View Post
I have been looking to replace my old drill. While there are lower end drills available in the $60-70 range, a decent drill (not the best) will cost upward of a $100.

There are general use drills (low end) and heavy duty (high end); corded and cordless. I am currently looking at a cordless Dewault thatís currently priced at $150.

Hope that helps
I never drill anything except the girlfriend. Would it be nice to have a proper drill? Sure, but I don't think I will ever need one again.

I do plan on installing the pedal covers one day which you have to drill though, but those covers are expensive

I doubt a shop would charge me more than $100 to install this. Either way it won't be free unless I can borrow a drill from someome which I don't have anyone lol or rent a drill which nobody rents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Go to Craigslist or FB Marketplace. There are plenty of good used drills out there for a fraction of the original price. No sense in buying a brand new drill if you're only going to use it once.

2017 Mazda 6 Touring manual

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Go to Craigslist or FB Marketplace. There are plenty of good used drills out there for a fraction of the original price. No sense in buying a brand new drill if you're only going to use it once.
Yep but I would also need a guide punch. Vegetable oil 😂

Installing this spoiler ain't gonna cost $100 exactly in the end
post #46 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 01:45 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post
Now where do I get a guide punch. Any links? And no, I just can't go to a hardware store and find it out of other thousands of items in there. Lol
Find a clerk and ask "can you show me where your guide punches are please"
In a pinch you can use a small Phillips head screwdriver
Quote:
Cutting oil, so this works as lubrication.
yes, it helps the bit grab a bite and greatly extends it life as well as reducing the drilling pressure needed.
Quote:
How do you seal the bare metal. What do you use and where to get it?
Use paint after cleaning the lubricant off with a solvent. you can get it at the same store as the punch. After the clerk shows you where the punch is you can ask "do you carry paint? Can you please take me to that as well?"
I used my touch up paint

Quote:
I don't have a drill and there are so many im a complete drill virgin, have no idea which one to get, what speeds would I need, what speed to use for this job, etc.
Variable speed reversible

Quote:
If anyone could lead me to an affordable drill? If it costs more than $70, I might as well pay a shop to install it, doubt they would charge me more than $100
Dewalt DCD771C2 20V MAX Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 inch Compact Drill Driver Kit $100

The above is a perfect starter. The battery is compatible with a lot of other tools and available everywhere. You can drill, sand polish, wire brush with it and its relatively light.

If you don't mind a drill with a tail this will last you until you die.
Black & Decker DR260C 5.2-Amp Drill/Driver, 3/8-Inch $30

Given your line of questioning you may appreciate having someone do this for you.

Best of luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #47 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Buy a corded drill and use an extension cord. They are cheap. You dont need cutting oil, dont even worry about that. You want a "center punch", they are usually not called "guide punches". A center punch should only be a few dollars and a cheap corded drill like $25. See above drill for example

Do you have wrenches? Sockets? The ability to install the nuts on the studs in tight area?

Touch up paint on the bare metal, or primer. A touch up primer pen will work , again a couple bucks. Or put a dab of RTV around hole and install the stud "wet" (into rtv sealant) This is an easy job, and paying others is a gamble. They typically will do a lower quality job than you will be inclined to do yourself.

The tools are an investment that you can use the rest of your life.

Last edited by mach1219; 02-22-2018 at 06:03 PM.
post #48 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Good lord you guys really don't need to drill into your trunk for the little lip spoiler. I'm quoting my post from 2+ years ago to confirm that everything is still fine with my ebay lip spoiler. Paint looks good, fit is secure, etc. Just clean the surface well and it'll be a permanent bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Grundle View Post
Definitely no need for drilling if you're using 3m tape. I installed my eBay spoiler with just tape (like most others on here) and it's very sturdy. Over a year with no issues and I can't imagine I ever will.
post #49 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcaneous View Post
Clean
Isopropyl wipe
94 primer
06384 tape
Pressure apply

Beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So this is what I did (including beer). That 94 primer does make a nice tacky surface for the 3M 06384 to adhere to. I did not drill and once cured, I can move the entire car up and down by lifting or pushing on the spoiler alone. That sucker is solid. This particular adhesive apparently has two properties depending on the side. One is meant for painted surfaces on a car exterior and the other is designed to adhere to plastic parts. The paint and fit of the spoiler looks great - I'm real happy for a bit over $100 w/ the primer and 3M tape.
DrFeelGood and Jaggrey like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dasrider For This Useful Post:
Jaggrey (09-08-2018)
post #50 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Grundle View Post
Good lord you guys really don't need to drill into your trunk for the little lip spoiler. I'm quoting my post from 2+ years ago to confirm that everything is still fine with my ebay lip spoiler. Paint looks good, fit is secure, etc. Just clean the surface well and it'll be a permanent bond.
I live in Miami. It is hotter and rains more than Charlotte as far as I know. Also, I read a couple of reviews on Amazon about this spoiler, that it fell after months of being there. Obviously, I would prefer to just stick it on, but what if it starts to peel, then you have to remove it and it will be a mess. I don't know.

What 3m tape did you use? link?

this one I suppose?

Where do you apply the primer? On the trunk's surface?

Did you use this primer?

This 94 primer ain't cheap

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 02-24-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page