Any way to listen to regular FM instead of HD radio? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Any way to listen to regular FM instead of HD radio?

So I was "spoiled" with FM radio before getting my 6 (and this is also coming from a high end system in my previous car where I listened to good quality recordings often). Is there any way to listen to regular FM on the non-Bose system instead of HD radio?

They compress the snot out of the HD radio stations and it is almost unlistenable to me for some songs. Perhaps the stations I listen to have less bandwidth in HD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
On the 2014-2015 Touring model, there is a button in the bottom corner of the interface that says "HD" or something. If you press it, the HD toggles off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 Mazda Miata | Classic Red | PEP | Koni Yellows | Eibach Springs | Corbeau Forza
2014 Mazda6 "Mako" - 72k | 6MT | Magnapack Muffler | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellows

1981 RX7 - eh - Sold
2010 Mazda3 - 40k | 2.0L | H&R
Lowering | - Sold
1980 Mercedes-Benz 240D 4MT - Sold
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Got it

Thanks - it worked. It's similar in the 2016 model - I was able to toggle HD radio off by clicking the HD button in the bottom of the interface and then un-checking the HD checkbox. When un-checking while on an alternate HD station, the audio cuts out though and you manually must scan for the station again in normal FM mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemo13 View Post
On the 2014-2015 Touring model, there is a button in the bottom corner of the interface that says "HD" or something. If you press it, the HD toggles off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun_g View Post
So I was "spoiled" with FM radio before getting my 6 (and this is also coming from a high end system in my previous car where I listened to good quality recordings often). Is there any way to listen to regular FM on the non-Bose system instead of HD radio?

They compress the snot out of the HD radio stations and it is almost unlistenable to me for some songs. Perhaps the stations I listen to have less bandwidth in HD?

HD radio is a mess and probably will die out. A few of my stations have good sounding HD channels. However, one station sounds worse than it's FM version. Very annoying. I do like the screen presentation of the HD channels better. One even shows album art - very cool. It's a shame that the HD format never gained traction and improvements.

'16 mazda6 Touring Meteor Gray/Sand
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdaddyred View Post
HD radio is a mess and probably will die out. A few of my stations have good sounding HD channels. However, one station sounds worse than it's FM version. Very annoying. I do like the screen presentation of the HD channels better. One even shows album art - very cool. It's a shame that the HD format never gained traction and improvements.
The only thing I really like about HD is that some of the AM stations I listen to have HD counterparts, so you don't get that awful AM sound...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

"Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you when you hit it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page