Mazda 6 Forums banner

Distraction message on startup

24K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Anderfrank 
#1 ·
Getting this message on the screen every time I startup. Even if I press the "I agree" button, it still pops up every time. It's a 2016 with the optional Bose/Navigation system. Anyone else getting this? Any way to make it go away forever?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Correct.

By law, each time you start your car, you must agree that you are at fault in the event that you are involved in an accident, and not the GPS or the screen.

Mazda must cover themselves in the event that someone tries to sue them for blaming the GPS as being a distraction while driving. By agreeing to that each time you turn the car on, you're the one to blame if you do something dumb :)

#7 ·
The system is stupid in many ways; they make you agree yet you can't use the Navi, at least some options of it. Voice Command keeps "hearing" you wrong and proposing odd options; you can hit download message while moving but can't read the message, however, they display a message saying "can't display while moving... etc" which you still have to read (well, not really, but still...); sometimes when you connect to bluetooth while moving it asks you to download 15 messages 'yes or no' but yes is grayed out; and many more stupidities like it. Just plain stupid altogether. Still a nice car but infotainment sux!

#10 ·
I get what you're saying due to the old "CYA" method in this litigious society, however, to gray out a lot of functionalities in the name of keeping you "safe" does not enable safety, what it enables is some people to get frustrated and reach for the phone device after all because they can't wait to check who wrote them. I think it defeats the overall purpose of staying hands free.

#9 ·
My wife is an insurance adjuster and I always gave her a hard time until I experienced the number of idiots that are out there. Knowing this it's easy to understand why companies need to cover themselves.

#12 ·
My wife's 2012 Journey with Uconnect has a warning message as well. Takes just as long to disappear and is equally annoying, lol.

Reactions: Caliche
#15 · (Edited)
I am not confused about their goal and I actually agree with you. But it is stupid because say you start driving and then you hit NAVI and the disclaimer comes up (a very long one and in small print), if someone gets in accident they could also just as well blame it on them trying to read the disclaimer being put in front of them before agreeing by clicking on OK. Anyway, a bit stretched but that is my point, not consistent for safety but yeah, indeed I agree that they're just CYA-ing (as do others too, I'm sure). By the way, I am an Environmental, Health & Safety professional, that's what I do for a living, so I am not advocating defeating the system or texting and driving, etc. All I'm saying is that, even as a safety professional, the way they do things in the name of 'safety' is not right. Disclaimers don't provide safety (except for covering their asses, and even then disclaimers don't always work for them; tort liability goes beyond disclaimers if gross negligence is proven), smart functionalities would be better. Anyway, my opinion only. Thank you.

#17 · (Edited)
Yeah, on my 2014s (I have two), if the screen was off and you started driving and then hit NAVI, the disclaimer will come on and stay on until you click "OK" or "Agree", whichever it is, every time after starting the car. I'm sure. I'm not referring to when you already had Navi on (and had already accepted the disclaimer) and you go from Navi to either Audio/Phone/Setup (in any order or combination) and back to Navi, but every time after every engine power up, whether stopped or when moving.

#19 · (Edited)
In the 2014s, if I want the screen to turn off I have to do it manually. If I had turned it off manually then it would stay off even after the next time I turn the car on; to turn it on I would have to hit Navi (it also turns on by hitting Setup, Phone and/or Audio), and the disclaimer would come up when in Navi until I accept it. If I had not turned it off manually, then the next time I power up the car the screen would turn on (in whichever mode it was left and the disclaimer would display in Navi mode). It doesn't go away automatically.

I know about the 2016 because I also have a 2016 CX-5 GT, and yes, I believe it turns on automatically and the disclaimer goes away by itself. But I can turn the screen off manually too. Wait, now that I think about it, if the screen had been manually turned off, I believe at the next engine power up the screen turns on and shows the disclaimer for a few seconds, I hit agree, and I think it then goes back to off until I hit Navi. Can't recall for sure right now.

#20 · (Edited)
If you think that's bad, you should see the product I work on. Users can be hit by half a dozen separate pop-up liability notices if they have the right configuration. All have to be manually accepted before they can use the product.

It's 100% to prevent lawsuits. This product includes automatic steering functionality and other things that could kill you or someone else if you don't know how to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.