Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
If you're going to get the brakes good and hot before there are a few THOUSAND miles on them you better do it in a controlled bedding process or you WILL wind up with a pulsating pedal, and it's not from the rotors warping.
i have almost 19k miles and haven't done much driving that warranted heavy or sharp braking. my 6 is mostly a commuter. the pulsing starts under light braking and disappears the more pressure i give it. thoughts?

TIA to anyone with feedback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Your pads, when young, transferred material unevenly to the rotor.

The goal of bedding the pads (either through normal driving or an intentional action) is to deposit an even layer of material on the rotor which becomes the interface for braking actions. If this initial deposition is uneven then you will get a pulsating pedal.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Bed them correctly when first installed and they shouldn't do that.

ANY high-performance pad WILL do that if you don't bed it properly.
I bed them per the manufacturers instructions both times.

The vibration started happening around 1k on the pads and would come and go over time. I'm not the only one that has that problem with EBCs either.

So at best their bedding instructions are crap for how sensitive their green stuff pads are to this problem. I'm sure susceptibility varies pads on pad composition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;

Last edited by solar365; 06-20-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Do not discount uneven torquing or over tightening of the lug nuts (by the dealer, upon tire rotation).

I dunno, but I never gave the dealer not one chance at all for them to touch my tires for rotation. I did all the rotations myself (twice now, prior to each OCIs visits, and I following the recommended Mazda6 Manual cross rotation pattern).

I have now 11,181mi as of this writing. I do drive this 6MT spiritedly (up to 85-90mph bursts) on fwys mostly for work commute and brake hard when needed, the most recent..this morning's work drive (although I brake pulse/pump mostly, a habit of mine to give some cooling for the brake rotors and to brake flash the car behind me, some fair warning for any tail gaters..).

Coincidence perhaps..call me lucky, I dunno...but I NEVER had any vibrating brake pedal nor any warping signs, to date (knock on wood).

Btw, I have a 1/2 drive torque wrench, a breaker bar and a 6pt 21mm socket..always at the ready inside the trunk (I bring it with me, everytime). Torque settings is at 85lbs evenly, on all lugs and lock nuts.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:42 PM

Garage
Btw, I remember when I had my old Passat, some B5 owners slap bigger brake rotors/calipers (front and rears) from an Audi A8.

This made me think this morning..if the CX-9 brake calipers and bigger brake rotors (12.9in fronts/12.8in rears), can fit to our GJ Mazda6 cars (11.7in fronts/10.9in rears).

If it's doable and fits like a glove..that would be a very worthwhile and a great brake mod upgrade for our cars. At the same time, staying on OEM Mazda parts.
RedBluff likes this.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:43 AM

I don't know if the clearance is there for it, or if the brackets will line up.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash gordon View Post
To me, my Mazda brake is at best mediocre. I have done a lot of research on upgrading the brake system, however, currently besides the very expensive Brembo kit, there is no other alternatives. I will not spend money on OEM size rotors because it's a waste of money.

The brake rotors and calipers are bigger in the Speed3 and Speed6 so I wonder any of these two along with the bracket would fit the 2014 Mazda 6? Anyone can shed some light on this?

Not sure what else is out there that can fit the Mazda but I will tell you this the braking I think I better then mediocre.

Yesterday, with all my driving around, I had an experience worth remembering, excited to show off my dipped rims and greyed bottoms to those in the world who were blessed to have me pass them. We have a lot of tunnels where I live and I guess people forgot how dark it can get in there. The day was a stunningly hot and extremely bright, and going from an extreme light condition to a relatively darker one, plus the downward slope of the tunnel, people forgot where they were I guess and everyone started to slam on their brakes. I was going about 60mph and noticed the extremely high F-150 slamming on their brakes, forcing their already decapitating high tailgate only higher. Well, I unfortunately have had a lot of experience being ran into and so I calmly told the boys with me to brace themselves for an impact as I depressed the clutch, hit the brakes, and pumpped...a few times on the ebrake. The deafening chilling sound of skidding wheels and brakes shrilling echoed within the tunnel as those behind me trying to do the same thing I knew for sure I was going to be in the middle of some sort of pile up. Well, to my surprise everything worked as it should. The mazda handled well and did not pich down or lose steering as I'm used to with driving trucks. of course I stopped only inches away from the tall f-150 and the benz, which probably had some sort of braking assist monitor that was behind me stopped close enough we could see what color eyes she had in the dim light of the tunnel. All in short, we stopped from going 60mph with only 15-20 feet on a downhill slope.

Zoom Zoom: 2014 MT blue/sand touring

Whats my stress reliever? PAINTBALL-duh

One can never out pace crazy and one can never beat stupid.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 09:50 AM

A couple of days ago I had a jackass come through a BRIGHT RED light while I was making a left turn (on a green arrow.) The superior maneuverability and braking of the "6" allowed me to maneuver cleanly off what could have been a REALLY nasty collision -- while the other guy would have gotten tagged for fault, my car would have likely been destroyed as the other driver was traveling at what I estimate to be close to 40mph.

I LIKE the brakes on the "6" in terms of performance and modulation. What I have yet to do is get them really hot in sustained use; I suspect the stock pads are not up to that sort of abuse.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExB5 View Post
Btw, I remember when I had my old Passat, some B5 owners slap bigger brake rotors/calipers (front and rears) from an Audi A8.

This made me think this morning..if the CX-9 brake calipers and bigger brake rotors (12.9in fronts/12.8in rears), can fit to our GJ Mazda6 cars (11.7in fronts/10.9in rears).

If it's doable and fits like a glove..that would be a very worthwhile and a great brake mod upgrade for our cars. At the same time, staying on OEM Mazda parts.
I did not know the CX9 has nice big rotors. This is something worth to look into besides Speed6 rotors. Hope any member who works for Mazda dealer can shed some light on this issue.

2014 Mazda 6 GT (daily driver)
2012 Mustang GT Premium w/Koni Sport
2012 MDX Tech
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash gordon View Post
I did not know the CX9 has nice big rotors. This is something worth to look into besides Speed6 rotors. Hope any member who works for Mazda dealer can shed some light on this issue.
Shared componentry is quite common. I am very interested in this as well. Considering the Mazda parts bin costs are affordable and design is less complicated (coming/compared from German VW/Audi ownership)..for my part, I'll do some digging of my own on part # cross references, between these two Mazdas.

Hopefully, someone else more knowledgeable can chime in on this as well..some confirmation.

FYI, the Sport and Touring CX-9s has 18s rims...adequate enough space for these bigger 12.9/12.8 rotors to fit and work their magic (Grand Touring has 20 inchers).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page