Any new owners regret getting the mazda 6? if so why? - Page 18 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Here's the knob from an MX5 I purchased....granted this price is jacked way up from the 130 i got it for... Brand New Mazda Miata Gear Shift Knob NE55 46 030 | eBay
The Following User Says Thank You to ballsy For This Useful Post:
74Norton (01-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
@ballsy I went with the shortest shift knob that I could find so that I could cut it down that much and have it fit. I wanted to cut a fair amount off of the shifter to reduce throw in both directions, whereas I believe the CS plate only reduces the longitudinal distance (I could be wrong). I also don't want to mess with the cable linkages on this car until I have a better understanding of what wear issues may result. Reducing the length of the shifter above the pivot point merely increases shift effort, which the heavier knob more than compensates for.
post #173 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsy View Post
Here's the knob from an MX5 I purchased....granted this price is jacked way up from the 130 i got it for... Brand New Mazda Miata Gear Shift Knob NE55 46 030 | eBay
That's the only one that I could find as well. The wood grain and 5 speed pattern knobs are plentiful, though. I ended up going with

, which matches the black leatherette perfectly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donkey Grundle For This Useful Post:
74Norton (01-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Just turned 23,000 miles on my 2014 M6 MT (Touring) today, after 1-year, 6-months, & 11-days of ownership. Definitely, the shifting has gotten increasingly better over time, smooth right now. Just love the feel, especially on open roads, low traffic days or non-rush hour times (bcuz in heavy traffic driving or in the slow driving in snow and ice, an MT is a work out).

The only cons of the car in Touring MT, well no heated seats, no moonroof, no lit Window switches, but nothing we can really do about how they make them. Cool car overall. Love the feel of the GT too, and it's added amenities, but the AT and it's paddle shifters / manual mode is no fun compared to the MT. And my wife and kids don't touch it...
6andcounting and ballsy like this.
post #175 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:28 PM

Garage
@Caliche, I hear that!! Haha. I keep urging my wife to let me take her to a parking lot to "start her training" and she refuses! She has MTX stage fright....
post #176 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Grundle View Post
@ballsy I went with the shortest shift knob that I could find so that I could cut it down that much and have it fit. I wanted to cut a fair amount off of the shifter to reduce throw in both directions, whereas I believe the CS plate only reduces the longitudinal distance (I could be wrong). I also don't want to mess with the cable linkages on this car until I have a better understanding of what wear issues may result. Reducing the length of the shifter above the pivot point merely increases shift effort, which the heavier knob more than compensates for.
You are correct, it only shortens longitude. Lateral throw is unaffected from what I have read. It's a baby step.....what I REALLY want is a safe ECU tune that when combined with an intake and exhaust, gives us another 30+WHP....but I digress....
post #177 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Not one single day.
post #178 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
You are correct, it only shortens longitude. Lateral throw is unaffected from what I have read. It's a baby step.....what I REALLY want is a safe ECU tune that when combined with an intake and exhaust, gives us another 30+WHP....but I digress....
I just watched the video on the Corksport kit and it definitely shortens the throw more than cutting down the shift lever. I measured about 0.5" in longitude and 0.25" in lateral reduction with the chop. I'd like to see a video of someone going from 1st to 5th with their kit.

And as far as the tune...I think we're all waiting for that. I'm not spending the extra 40 cents/gallon on 93 octane yet, but I definitely will if it corresponds to more power and an extra 2-3 mpg highway through a tune.
post #179 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Grundle View Post
I just watched the video on the Corksport kit and it definitely shortens the throw more than cutting down the shift lever. I measured about 0.5" in longitude and 0.25" in lateral reduction with the chop. I'd like to see a video of someone going from 1st to 5th with their kit.

And as far as the tune...I think we're all waiting for that. I'm not spending the extra 40 cents/gallon on 93 octane yet, but I definitely will if it corresponds to more power and an extra 2-3 mpg highway through a tune.
Great thing with a tune is you have the control to load whatever you want though. Ideally the tunes should have something that maximizes performance with all 3 octanes, obviously the 93 tune would reap the best rewards but I believe there would be that option where you could load the (87, 89 or whatever octane you want to use) tune and still get improved HP.
post #180 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
@Caliche, I hear that!! Haha. I keep urging my wife to let me take her to a parking lot to "start her training" and she refuses! She has MTX stage fright....
I hear you too @ballsy, my wife also has stage fright of MT, funny thing is, we both learned on MTs and grew up driving them, back in our country of origin, Colombia, yet she claims she forgot how to drive MT. I am like "that's not something you forget, is like riding a bicycle, get rusty? Yeah, sure. Forget? Nah, I don't think so." At any rate, better for me to leave my car to myself. Now, my two college boys wanna learn, but I'm hesitant to use my car as the learning tool, lest they damage my tranny or worse..., God forbid. But maybe I will teach 'em, it is a handy skill to have, especially when you travel abroad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page