explain to me why? - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Whiny, should there be an issue down the line very expensive to repair CVT? No thanks.

I've went through all sorts of vehicles in my 17 years of driving from Nissan Stanza's to Acura TL and Infiniti G35 I loved my TL the best out of all but after a few minor things cost me $2000 to fix I said fuck that also now married and with a 4 year old this 6 was the best choice for it's new design and beauty and simplicity of the interior I'm happy with the head unit, the door seals, road and wind noise I just don't understand the difference between all other vehicles I've owned. I very much enjoy the 38+ highways miles also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think most people consider total cost of ownership much, but you should.

IMHO the "6 Sport" with the stick has a good shot at being very inexpensive to own over the long haul. We shall see; there's always the risk of unexpected "fun" arising that makes the TCO ridiculous but there is an inherent simplicity on this model that has the potential to make it a very attractive vehicle not only in appearance and how it drives but also in its TCO over the years.

Being wrong on TCO can cost you an unbelievable amount of money over time. We live in a disposable world these days and few people take this sort of thing into account, but there are indications that Mazda paid good attention to many of these factors in how these cars are designed and built. You cannot compare the pre-split vehicles (e.g. "when married to Ford") to today's in this regard; not only is the assembly point different (and anyone who thinks this doesn't matter only has to look at VW; my '03 Jetta wagon was assembled in Wolfsburg, Germany .vs. the sedans of the same year that were assembled in Mexico; the difference in reliability, particularly with regard to electrical issues, has been massive over the years) but also DESIGN issues. I really like, for example, how Mazda has attached covers (the expanding "push pin") for the trunk and many other surfaces, as one example, as those are unlikely to seize or otherwise become trouble over the years and if they DO they can be extracted and replaced inexpensively. I also like the inherent lack of complexity in the engine and gearbox as most of the gains in economy have come from clever engineering rather than mechanical complexity.

One final example -- adding both the Homelink mirror and fogs were literal 15 minute exercises as the wiring harnesses were already there. I wonder if the heated side mirrors and use of the positioning switch are ALSO pre-wired, which would make adding THOSE a simple matter of swapping the glass (about $120 for both pieces) along with a few other things.... On the Jetta adding fogs was a pain in the butt as not only was the wiring missing but so was the relay and such for it, and Homelink also required a fair bit of gaming to get it installed and wired.

Last edited by tickerguy; 04-15-2014 at 10:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickerguy For This Useful Post:
nobouncecap (04-15-2014), Sideways the Seven (04-15-2014)
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
How easy is it to swap out the lets say Sport headlights for the bi xenon GT headlights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 AM

I would guess that would be quite expensive simply because the bi-Xenon lamp assemblies are going to be hideously expensive up front. There is also likely to be a coding issue; unless you have the Mazda dealer interface and software you may have an intractable problem in getting them to talk to the car.

I find the stock projector halogen lamps on the Sport to be quite nice; the pattern is VERY clean with a cut-off that is much better than on other vehicles I've owned that do not have the projector design. And I'm a 50 year old dude with eyes that aren't what they were when I was 20 -- I have no complaints with the car as-is in this regard.

Last edited by tickerguy; 04-15-2014 at 10:43 AM.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Groans: 8
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
@tickerguy you're correct, the upfront cost last time I looked for each assembly was about $650, without the bulbs or ballasts. But as a 20 year old i'm quite satisfied with the stock halogen projectors, which I popped DDM HIDs into.

2014 Mazda6 JBM Sport.
LED Treatment (Red Interior, White Vanity, White Trunk, White License Plate, Rear Turn Signal LEDs)
DDM 55W HIDs
AutoTrim Kick Plates & Mud Flaps
Wishlist: Corksport SRI,
, 25% Tints,
, Chrome Door Handles, Gloss Plastidipped Wheels.

post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Basing from past Ebay Mazda headlight mods..along with the upcoming GJ refresh, I'd expect a drop (like a rock, perhaps) of prices (I'm a very patient guy). These kind of mods will come to my car...in due time. Timing is everything.
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 AM

Those DDM retrofit kits in the stock projectors look very attractive in terms of price. The question is whether they properly maintain the focal point of the stock design; if not the pattern will be badly damaged and impair visibility or worse, glare into oncoming driver's eyes. The latter is extremely annoying never mind potentially causing a head-on!
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Those DDM retrofit kits in the stock projectors look very attractive in terms of price. The question is whether they properly maintain the focal point of the stock design; if not the pattern will be badly damaged and impair visibility or worse, glare into oncoming driver's eyes. The latter is extremely annoying never mind potentially causing a head-on!
Agreed. I haven't had notice any negative issues, but we shall see.

-Brandon
2003 Infiniti M45
1981 Chevrolet Silverado RCLB (heh, try me)
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any upgrade to the wiring harness needed for lets say the 5k DDM HID KIT?

Also I am interested in a touring, how difficult is it to pop these in? I know there is a thread on here but it doesn't look like anyone has successfully put in the "fog" lights. I know with the Tech package on the touring it comes with the switch already needed.

Mazda 6 2014 Skyactiv New Fog Lights GJR9 V4 600 | eBay

Just trying to weigh my options here, and if I can easily pop in the fogs on the Touring then I am happy with that. The only real thing I will miss with the GT model is the LED bi xenon headlights.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengenz View Post
Any upgrade to the wiring harness needed for lets say the 5k DDM HID KIT?

Also I am interested in a touring, how difficult is it to pop these in? I know there is a thread on here but it doesn't look like anyone has successfully put in the "fog" lights. I know with the Tech package on the touring it comes with the switch already needed.

Mazda 6 2014 Skyactiv New Fog Lights GJR9 V4 600 | eBay

Just trying to weigh my options here, and if I can easily pop in the fogs on the Touring then I am happy with that. The only real thing I will miss with the GT model is the LED bi xenon headlights.
No wiring upgraded needed for the HIDs and fogs are pretty much PnP, IIRC.

-Brandon
2003 Infiniti M45
1981 Chevrolet Silverado RCLB (heh, try me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page