2015 Mazda6, Rust, Noise & Packages - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
2015 Mazda6, Rust, Noise & Packages

I posted a thread titled No Deal After Wind Noise & Crappy Nav
and really got some great feedback. I've looked at so many midsize cars, loving the new Accord and Passat...well, liking many of their features. I love the room in the Passat, and the general goodness of the Accord. But then so many of their traits sent me packing.

A huge negative with the Accord is that I hate CVT transmissions...and am scared to death what will happen repair-wise five years down the road. The Accord has a sweet V6 with a six-speed slushbox, but when I drove it, there was a pronounced vibration between 1600 and 1800 RPM.

As for the VW Passat, the higher models have the DSG (Dual-Clutch transmission). Given VW's terrible reputation for reliability, I just don't want to buy into a technologically-advanced transmission.

Then I drove the 2014 Mazda6. I love the car. But the wind noise on the highway sent me running for the hills. But I'm going to wait until the 2015 comes out and see if Mazda addressed the wind noise. If they did, I'm all-in! Also, Mazda will be offering the moonroof (with Bose) on the 2015...instead of making you pay an extra $5000 for the Grand Touring.

I also considered getting an iSport and putting in a high-quality aftermarket moonroof. But I wanted heated seats and other Touring goodies.

One last concern is Mazda's terrible reputation for corrosion and rust. Is there any recon on the dreaded Mazda rust problem and the new Mazda6? I live in NY, and we do have some pretty bad weather...and lots of salt on the road. Any advice on the rust issue...and if I should be concerned? Has this finally been addressed by Mazda?
The Following 2 Users Say NO Thank You to hoppyjunior For This Un-useful Post:
Clay Easton (02-08-2014), Gavintech (01-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Another "glass is always empty" kind of post. Do you think you'll be happy with any car? I doubt this will be your last concern about getting the 6...even though it's nearly the perfect car (or at least the least worst in a world full of bad options)...except for some random issue that you'll manage to dream up every week that's always blown way out of proportion.

This is the first time I'm hearing of Mazda's "dreaded" rust problem, but after some research...sonofagun! It looks like the problem's even worse in the 2015 model. If the 2015 6 looks this bad before it's even been released, I can't imagine what it would look like after a few NY winters. My advice: Run for the hills (again)! This time, keep running and don't look back.

Last edited by TitaniumVT; 01-28-2014 at 02:01 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TitaniumVT For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (01-26-2014), SAR305 (01-26-2014)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes Mazda's gets rust and spiders Mazda Recall Caused By Spiders

There is no perfect car.
Just get a Lexus and call it a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to PRiiCeLeSS For This Useful Post:
SAR305 (01-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
This is the first time I'm hearing of Mazda's "dreaded" rust problem, but after some research...sonofagun! It looks like the problem's even worse in the 2015 model. If the 2015 6 looks this bad before it's even been released, I can't imagine what it would look like after a few NY winters.

Very NICE patina effect on that Shinari.

Very "Sci-Fi-ish"...Add some burn-out marks, and it looks just like it came through re-entry, from space.

Hmmm..I'm so befuddled by these numerous noise and creaking issue threads folks are complaining about (and now rust?). Cold or not, I have none of these, seriously (I must be "blessed" now with my M6 thank goodness, unlike my old Passat...near 13yrs of daily noise, like a perpetual, nagging wife )...
The Following User Says Thank You to ExB5 For This Useful Post:
nobouncecap (01-25-2014)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRiiCeLeSS View Post
Yes Mazda's gets rust and spiders Mazda Recall Caused By Spiders

There is no perfect car.
Just get a Lexus and call it a day.
And Toyota ( Lexus) do have spider and rust problems too.

I do own a 06 Mazda MPV, and no rust at all, earlier models had some issues with rear AC corrosion, which Mazda fixed.

Any car, even one with a good reputation can have rust problems, my dad had a 76 Saab 99, which had major rust issues after just 2 yrs, caused by them using cheap Russian steel.

2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Liquid Silver
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Since there is no such thing as a perfect car, maybe you should just not buy one... Can't really expect everything to be awesome on a midsized economy car. lol. Maybe you should consider looking at the luxury brands since your taste profile is a bit higher?

I too found wind noise on the new 6 to be louder than usual, but that didn't prevent me from buying the car. Positives outweighed the negative. I got bored of my 2006 FX35 and traded her in for the new Mazda 6. This is a great commuter car.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Eh, just build your own car. That way you can get everything you want and don't have to worry about any flaws.

-Brandon
2003 Infiniti M45
1981 Chevrolet Silverado RCLB (heh, try me)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways the Seven For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (01-26-2014)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Man You really need to either lower your standards or increase your budget

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knupsel For This Useful Post:
SAR305 (01-26-2014)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
the ^^ comments.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
like everyone said, there is no perfect car. Yes the mazda is a bit noisy and head unit can use improvements, but this car is designed to cater to the car enthusiast, so the focus is on drivetrain, handling, styling, simplicity, which mazda did great.

honda/toyota: volume seller, reliability, no nonsense, just build a car that works and will fit most demographics. The camry has nothing special at all about it, but since not many care how it drives, as long as it works, people will buy it (driving appliance). honda is about the same, but has more focus in driving dynamics and handling

Ford's focus lately seems to be technology, technology, technology, and styling. The car looks good, handling is alright. If you love all this electronic gizmos, this is your car. my ford touch, tons of LED screens (even the dashboard is mostly LCD), and of course the emphasis on ecoboost turbos, but as far as reliability last time i heard its not great

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI+Airbox ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][Paddle Shift retrofit][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

Last edited by Jerrycobra; 01-25-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page