No Deal After Wind Noise & Crappy Nav - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
No Deal After Wind Noise & Crappy Nav

Hello everyone...Great forum. I have been looking in the midsize arena and have found my search very frustrating. I looked at the VW Passat (great back seat, terrible front seats, scary dual-clutch transmission, underpowered engines).

Then I drove the 2014 Accord 4-cylinder and V6. The 4 was a CVT so I waived goodbye. I love the V6 but it vibrated terribly between 1600 and 1800 rpm. Did it on the three I tested. Bye, bye.

The Ford Fusion was just total junk.

Then I went to my local Mazda dealership to drive the new Mazda6. I have a soft spot for Mazdas, and still own a 1985 RX7 GSL, Gray with red interior and it still runs well.

First I told the salesman that I want the Touring with a sunroof. He said it's not available, and that I have to jump up to the Grand Touring to get the roof. I don't need the Rear lip spoiler, Bi-Xenon headlights, LED daytime running lights, Auto on/off headlights, Auto-dimming driver's side mirror, silly Steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters, Advanced Keyless Entry with push-button start, their slow Navigation system with real-time traffic updates, Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound Audio System with 11 speakers, they beyond awful SiriusXM Satellite Radio. That stuff is pretty much useless to me.

I would love Nav, but not the box of crap they designed for the Mazda6. There was no need for me to pay an extra $4,000 for stuff I don't want.

So I went for a test drive. What a joy to drive this car! What a beautiful machine...until I got it on the highway. The wind noise was terrible. The salesman told me that the car needs to be broken in and the wind noise would go away. Yeah right! I asked if I could drive another one and he complied.

The second Mazda6 had the same terrible wind noise. I do a lot of long highway trips for business and really require a quiet cabin. It doesn't have to be tomb-quiet, but at least moderate. This Mazda6 sounds like the window is open.

What a shame. When I first sat in the car, I fully expected to take my checkbook out and start writing. Loved everything about the car until I hit the highway. I was even going to bite the bullet and bump to the Grand Touring. But the wind noise killed the deal.

The salesman told me that this was the first complaint that he ever heard of the wind noise issue. I just glared at him. Then I found this forum and saw how many complaints there are.

It's amazing how many reviews there are on YouTube. What they basically are is a video brochure. Forums are the only place to get real feedback about cars.

So I'm still on my search for my midsize. What a shame that Mazda dropped the ball on the Mazda6. Thanks to all for bringing this issue to light. Great forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
To be honest I don't have any problem with the wind and barely notice it at all but I can understand if one is driving HWY all the time. Its just I don't pay attention to it and I know that there can be solutions, which I understand not wanting to put money into a new vehicle to make it better...but then I'm the type of car that likes to customize everything. One of the biggest reasons why I got the 6 is that despite personal little issues, that can be found with every car, the 6 was the BEST hands down in comparing similar priced cars that took 87 fuel (plus I wanted a MT and that meant the 6 or the Accord). but hey this is the first generation of a new generation of 6s so I can't wait to see what Mazda brings in the future years.

Zoom Zoom: 2014 MT blue/sand touring

Whats my stress reliever? PAINTBALL-duh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One can never out pace crazy and one can never beat stupid.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck with your search. Unfortunately there will always be something about a new car you won't like. It's easy to nitpick. I agree the wind noise is a bit high but nothing intolerable. You kinda get used to it. Surprised what you thought about the fusion though, which engine did you drive? The new fusion 2.0 ecoboost is nothing short of spectacular. We drove it and we loved it. We ended up with the 6 because my wife liked the styling better and the price was better as well.

Also surprised you didn't like the VW DCT. I haven't driven the new passat but all the other cars I've driven with the DCT is it's an awesome transmission and one VW should be proud of. Especially in the GTI that I drove.

Also isn't there a TSB on the excessive wind noise?

Either way I hope your search goes well and let us know what the next vehicle on your list is to try.

2013 Mustang GT Gotta Have it Green
2014 Mazda 6 Touring Snowflake White Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Groans: 11
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
It's a shame you couldn't get past those minor things to buy the 6, it's a great car. The navigation, I'll agree (I don't currently have it my my mother's CX5 does) could certainly use an upgrade. However, as for the wind noise, I don't notice any more noise than any other car I've driven. You can't expect this to be as quiet as something like a Lexus. I feel it's a great all around car.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

I loved everything about the Mazda6. The styling is dynamic. But the wind noise was intolerable. This is an important launch for Mazda, and to let the car hit the public with that wind noise is inexcusable. From the posts here, many agree.

I also don't understand why Mazda only includes a moonroof on the Grand Touring.

As for the Passat and their DSG, I found it strange to drive in stop-and-go traffic. Plus it's a very complicated design...and from all reports, an expensive fix. It also costs between $400-$800 to do the mandatory 40,000 mile service. I keep my cars 8-10 years, and just don't want to get involved in any of VW's exotic tech. The only car of theirs that I would consider is a Passat 2.5 SE. Excellent Asian 6-speed slushbox mated to their tried-and-true 2.5 litre 5-cylinder engine. Not the most cutting edge, but it will last without drama.

As for the Fusion, their 2.0 Ecoboost turbo just didn't do it for me. Honestly I don't want to get involved with any turbos. Plus, Ford's reputation for reliability is horrendous.

Back to the Mazda6. If they fixed the wind noise issue, I'd be at the dealership tomorrow with cash in fist. Given that I keep my cars for up to 10 years, the extra bump to the Grand Touring would be fine. Too bad that Mazda put such a terrible Nav system in the car.

If Mazda offered a sunroof option on all trim levels, I would opt for the Touring. That's the only feature that I care about. I appreciate the input.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Maybe the 2015 have some improvements on the windnoise, some even have said later builds don't have the windnoise and you can get a sunroof on the 2015 Touring.
2015 should be here shortly

2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Liquid Silver
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
In fact, the CX-5 is not nearly as bad as the 6 regarding wind noise/ infiltration. I'm a straight shooter and do not care who it offends, and I think you made the right choice to pass. If I had to do over again, I'd keep walking too. The nav, straight up trash, period. Forums are a great source of info, long as you don't buy the fanboi BS, and it's on all vehicle forums, because legit buyer remorse is a bitter pill to swallow. Sad part is the car has some very good aspects, but the defects are so glaring, and the denials go straight up the line right to North American Mazda.

Good luck on your search, as everything currently in this segment has some sort of Achilles heel. I guess it comes down to picking the lesser of the evils as you see them.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks Badself! I knew about the wind noise from my test drive, but if it wasn't for this forum, I never would have known about the rubbish nav unit and the defective weather-stripping. That's a pretty long list for Mazda to address...and it doesn't seem that they even care. It's not like people are beating down the doors for their cars.

I save up for my cars and pay cash. I expect a car to be reliable and solidly built. What Mazda does is send buyers into the arms of the competition. Frankly, I've even started looking at CPO Lexus ES350's. At least I know what I'm getting...and it won't let me down. I won't ever drive a Camry. I live in NYC and every other cab is a Camry. The Mazda6 is unique. If they got their quality control together and junked the Nav, they would have the most compelling product in the midsize category.

And I'm really starting to hate online and written reviews. They tell you nothing.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyjunior View Post
Thanks Badself! I knew about the wind noise from my test drive, but if it wasn't for this forum, I never would have known about the rubbish nav unit and the defective weather-stripping. That's a pretty long list for Mazda to address...and it doesn't seem that they even care. It's not like people are beating down the doors for their cars.

I save up for my cars and pay cash. I expect a car to be reliable and solidly built. What Mazda does is send buyers into the arms of the competition. Frankly, I've even started looking at CPO Lexus ES350's. At least I know what I'm getting...and it won't let me down. I won't ever drive a Camry. I live in NYC and every other cab is a Camry. The Mazda6 is unique. If they got their quality control together and junked the Nav, they would have the most compelling product in the midsize category.

And I'm really starting to hate online and written reviews. They tell you nothing.
Best of luck, I specifically did not get the navi because how bad it is. So I can definitely understand those gripes. I'd rather use my portable Garmin. Also you claim you won't ever drive a Camry, a Lexus ES350 is just a glorified Camry.

2013 Mustang GT Gotta Have it Green
2014 Mazda 6 Touring Snowflake White Pearl
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
I did not care about the navi because I use my Garmin. Why pay again for what you already have? I can update Garmin maps much cheaper and is portable. Wind noise is a genuine complaint but after almost 11 months of ownership I did get used to it but again I do not do a whole lot of long Hwy drives. Infotainment system is no big deal for me as has been beaten up on this forum, I just plunk in my fav CDs and happy. As I wrote in another thread , after experiencing M6 for a while I am not liking the look/drive of some of these luxury cars (specifically Avalon, Accura, Lexus) that I had a chance to ride. Again each individual has their preferences and I respect them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page