Mazda 6 Forums banner

2014 Mazda Wind Noise Driver's Side

211K views 406 replies 83 participants last post by  GerryB 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum and also new to mazda.
I am looking forward to get the 2014 Mazda 6.
But, the only thing that is holding me back from buying this car is the WIND NOISE.
I test drove 2 different mazda6's, the wind noise from the driver's side window was very disturbing. (both car had about the same noise level)
It seemed that the wind was coming through the driver's window near the a-pillar area. (not quite sure, maybe the whole window?)
Also, my wife who sat next to me while on the test drive also mentioned the wind noise from the passenger side as well.
It sounded as if the window was slightly open.
So I am assuming this wind noise is fairly common in all 2014 mazda 6's.

I did some research and some people suggested that it was a weatherstrip issue, and some said that it did not bother them as much.
I understand this is subjective, but it is really disappointing for a modern mid-size car to have this issue.

I really like this car, and I think this is the best mid-size sedan in its price range.
But the wind noise is really getting in the way.

Is there a DIY or TSB related to this issue?
I would definitely buy this car if there was an easy (or moderate) fix for this wind noise.
What I'm afraid is that this wind noise is a design flaw in the vehicle itself, and cannot be remedied by anything.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#290 ·
OK, the car is collected and the improvement is remarkable. I wasn't able to take any pictures of the actual procedure because I had to leave the car at the workshop overnight, but here's what they did:
- Replaced all door seals with thicker, double seals (a seal inside a seal)
- Added a seal along the Pillar B (the slot between the front and the rear door)
The cost was the equivalent of US$175 per door

Additionally I opted for installing sound isolation inside both front doors, some kind of sound-absorbing mat, it's supposed to lower the road noise and make the sound system play better - not that I noticed much improvement in the latter, the Bose bass is still disgustingly boomy :)

So far I only tested it below highway speeds - at 75mph - but the improvement is noticeable. I estimate 4dB quieter. I am going to repeat the measurements I did earlier in this thread and post the results, but I'll have to wait for winter to end - I want to have similar conditions to the last test, same tires, same highway, similar outside temperature. I'll post the results then and we can compare.

#294 ·
Noise tolerance has to do with age also. It is part of the "ageing process", the reduced tolerance for noise...whether we like it or not, it will happen to everyone.

Chalk it up...to getting old. :lol:

#297 ·
I would REALLY like to see your photos of the door seals. I have a 2014 CX-5 great vehicle, but working on dampening have done Lizard Skin, in areas , LLP - second under front carpet, & foam under tire well. That has helped greatly; however, wind noise is still and issue and the more deadened the road noise becomes the louder then wind noise seems to be.

I can't find any custom shops in my area that do custom door seals. Do you have the name of the supplier, company, that made the aftermarket seals for your vehicle?

#300 ·
It's not that heavy duty, at least it doesn't feel so to my figers. The seals going around the door do feel thicker than what was on the car originally, and I can feel a second seal running inside. The door definitely sounds different when I shut it close - a lower, thicker thump. I'm on a short writing vacation now, working on my next book; when I get back to town next week I'll call the shop and ask if they can shed some light on where they buy those seals from.

#304 ·
My estimate for the noise reduction is 4dB in higher frequencies. I will know exactly when I duplicate my experiment from last summer - the measurements and graphs. But to be meaningful, the measurements have to be done in more or less controlled conditions, and that involves the same weather (have to wait several months for that), no wind and the same highway.

#308 ·
I've gone 110mph and I don't ever hear noise. However, if the window is even slightly down.... my ears get raped at 60mph :(

#310 ·
I wonder if Mazda improved something after the early production run. In my car, when driving over 90mph, it sounded like strong gusts of wind hitting the car, even though there was zero wind outside. The effect is greatly diminished now, after changing the seals.
They did, I have the newest designed seal on my rear doors (wish they would update the front, but no word on that) and it prevents the suction that was present before upon opening, however there was no change in wind-noise. I know exactly what you're talking about however, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the same wind noise I hear sounds like wind rapping on the glass. Rolling the window down just enough to break the seal the sound is the same, just louder. As for the newer seals, the only notable difference is there is now a ridge that goes over to the back side, vs ending before the curve. This prevents a reverse dome from forming once the door closes trapping moisture and air and creating that vacuum affect that was causing the darn things to not break loose when opening the door and popping off. The bigger retainer is redundant but welcome no less, it alone probably would have solved the problem for 90% of people.. :D

#318 ·
I hope somebody @mazda reads the post above :)

Yes, it's a GREAT car and I absolutely love it. It exceeds its class and price point in pretty much every regard. The original wind noise was its only vice.

And there's no such thing as a car without a weak point. In my previous car (Accura TSX) there were also a few - e.g. an annoying hissing sound when the rear shocks would release the air after passing any speed bump... Noisy turbine... A weird plastic covering of the steering column that my knee would collide with when hitting the break pedal. Other than that - a great car :) So I'm really glad that the weak point of M6 was easy and not too expensive to fix with the door seals replacement

I'm out of town now, working on my next book, but when I'm back I'll try to get the shop owner to tell me where he gets the seals from and what he stuffs the with... I would love to somehow point the existing M6 owners from this forum to a source of such seal replacement.

#319 ·
I hope somebody @mazda reads the post above :)

Yes, it's a GREAT car and I absolutely love it. It exceeds its class and price point in pretty much every regard. The original wind noise was its only vice.

And there's no such thing as a car without a weak point. In my previous car (Accura TSX) there were also a few - e.g. an annoying hissing sound when the rear shocks would release the air after passing any speed bump... Noisy turbine... A weird plastic covering of the steering column that my knee would collide with when hitting the break pedal. Other than that - a great car :) So I'm really glad that the weak point of M6 was easy and not too expensive to fix with the door seals replacement

I'm out of town now, working on my next book, but when I'm back I'll try to get the shop owner to tell me where he gets the seals from and what he stuffs the with... I would love to somehow point the existing M6 owners from this forum to a source of such seal replacement.
It would be great to get a source. I dont care if I have to install it myself. Thats one think I really like doing now that I have a new car.

#320 ·
OK, so I got many requests here, also via PM, for information about those seals. I contacted the owner of the company that installs them and he replied (I'm translating from Polish): "We are open to international cooperation. If we could get a min. of 10 orders, we can send 10 sets of seals overseas. You are welcome to give my email address".

The owner's name is Pawel Golembiewski.
His email address: info@sztukawyciszania.pl
Company name: Mazda Golembiewscy (it's the oldest Mazda authorized service center in Warsaw)
Web site (in Polish only): SztukaWyciszania.pl - doskona?e wyciszenie Twojego samochodu. Wyg?uszanie pojazdu, wyciszanie drzwi - tylko u nas.. They are the pioneers of car sound isolation in Poland, they were doing it for many years, even for luxury brands like Audi, BMW, etc.

I can't coordinate a group buy, I apologize - I'm juggling 3 jobs and I hardly have time to sleep... But if somebody is interested and can collect a few interested parties, why don't you give it a try...

#353 ·
OK, so I got many requests here, also via PM, for information about those seals. I contacted the owner of the company that installs them and he replied (I'm translating from Polish): "We are open to international cooperation. If we could get a min. of 10 orders, we can send 10 sets of seals overseas. You are welcome to give my email address".

The owner's name is Pawel Golembiewski.
His email address: info@sztukawyciszania.pl
Company name: Mazda Golembiewscy (it's the oldest Mazda authorized service center in Warsaw)
Web site (in Polish only): SztukaWyciszania.pl - doskona?e wyciszenie Twojego samochodu. Wyg?uszanie pojazdu, wyciszanie drzwi - tylko u nas.. They are the pioneers of car sound isolation in Poland, they were doing it for many years, even for luxury brands like Audi, BMW, etc.

I can't coordinate a group buy, I apologize - I'm juggling 3 jobs and I hardly have time to sleep... But if somebody is interested and can collect a few interested parties, why don't you give it a try...
is there still a group buy going on this?

#325 ·
Again - I won't organize a group buy, I just don't have the bandwidth... Somebody else would have to take a lead on that. I can only help out if there are any communication problems like call the place during their business hours or talk to the owner - I'll be doing my annual car checkup and oil changes there anyway, because they seem more competent than the authorized service station near my place.

#326 ·
Perhaps it depends on what you're coming from. I've heard of the car being noisy in all the review. I've test driven the 6 three times and so far it's been fine. The last time, I turned off the stereo and told the rep I wanted it off so I could gauge wind noise. Sounded fine. Quieter than my current car. Felt bumps, but not like my current car. So all is well. I realize Mazda is supposed to be like that to an extent. Well that's the line I will stick to.

#327 ·
Not sure what noise people complain about. Read this topic and was really concerned. Test drove car with my wife and yes, there is noise :)

... Now funny part. I really liked car otherwise and my first test drive I didn't notice any noise (before this topic). After second test drive we sit down into our X5 and it is louder inside than M6 :)

So yes. I bought it works for me. I have touring which doesn't have sunroof. Maybe that's it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.