2014's Being Held - Check Engine Light Glitch - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a bummer, hopefully it won't delay my dealer getting my car in. I was hoping for a delivery date no later than mid March, but it might be delayed after that considering that have to do this fix which sounds like an easy fix at least.

Good info Dark and thanks!

*Edit* If I was to guess it's sounding like the CEL is coming on from cold start issues, because that's what most people seemed to get questions about when they were called by Mazda. From what I understand the PZEV emissions now required on all new cars has to warm up the car faster to get the catalytic convertor warmed up and doing it job faster. That is why they say the car might sound strange for a few minutes if its cold outside and it's getting to operating temp. That is also why they are suggesting you let the car idle a little in cold weather to get it up to operating temp. Again this a guess, but I'm gathering it from the info I have recently been reading/hearing.

Last edited by MaxCarnage; 02-09-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Hey all,

Got some info that clears up a few things: 1. Why Mazda is calling people at home about the engine. 2. Why supply is a little low. 3. Why some people are having check engine light issues. Apparently there is in fact an error with the vehicle causing the check engine light to turn on. It doesn't hurt the car, but the fix won't be available until March. Until then, new Mazdas are not being shipped as readily and dealer stock will remain fairly low.

Thought you guys should know!
I'm a bit confused about the low supply bit considering allocations have been slim since jumpstreet. I have know for about 6 months that inventory will be slim for quite sometime.

Did he offer any thought as to why the CEL was coming on? What code is popping? Does it also affect 2.5L CX-5's?

post #13 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
@Ned. All manufactures will have issues and some people will unfortunately get the occasional lemon. My 08 Accord was a sour lemon with a laundry list I don't want to get into again. My 2009 6 on the other hand (a first year model as was my Accord) has been nearly flawless. And overall it sounds like Mazda's are very reliable today.

@Dark. Thanks for the info. I remember Honda's first round of low emission Accords (1998) rated ULEV and PZEV. There were lots of cold starting and idle issues that plagued them including my own 2008 Accord. I'm sure Mazda will work out the teething issues and wouldn't hesitate to get a 2014 myself. Unfortunate other plans have pushed m next car purchase to next year.

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: 2014's Being Held - Check Engine Light Glitch

I was at the dealership recently and over heard a conversation about CEL problems. Apparently newer model Mazdas have a problem with some temp. senor (it reads the temp. 50 degrees hotter) and throws the light. The mechanic said replacement parts and a system patches are still being made but at the moment the best they could do was a reset.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Mazda 6S GT ---SOLD
Corksport LED Fog,Interior Kit, Stubby Antenna, K&N Drop In, Muffler/Resonator/Cat Delete, Airbox Mod, GTA Car Kit
2012 Mazdaspeed3 w/ Tech Package- Purple Drank Tuned BNR S3 15% in tank Methanol
post #15 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sadly it's the case with most cars.

1st year releases encounter the most issues. It can take 2-3 MY to get most of the bugs worked out. And even then, there may still be issues. On the g37 forum, many of the 7AT owners complain about the goofy shifting logic. Those of us with the 6mt dread the day the CSC (concentric slave cylinder) takes a sh!t (starts leaking).

2012 G37S 6MT Sedan
post #16 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Good information to know. I have not had the 'check light' come on, but I do think it's prudent of Mazda to roll out carefully unless they end up doing recalls like the 2013 Ford Fusion triggered.

============================================
Author of: Christian Bale: The Inside Story of the Darkest Batman
(BenBella Books, balebook.com)
post #17 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to LapisLazuli6 Send a message via MSN to LapisLazuli6 Send a message via Yahoo to LapisLazuli6
Consumer Reports tested the Fusion SE, Hybrid, and Titanium in their March 2013 issue. They said all their Fusions had evident quality control problems like misaligned doors and hoods, uneven edges on headliners, etc.

I sat in a 2013 Fusion SE at the car show with the Dune (tan) interior, and the front seats were already filthy and marked up from ppl with blue jeans getting into the vehicle all week at the car show. Doesn't look like very high quality materials are used in the vehicle, which is a shame because it's nice looking.

I wish we could have the MyFordTouch in the 6

-Paul

- 13 Honda Accord EX-L Obsidian Blue - purchased 4/23/13

- 10 Acura TSX non-Tech Grigio Metallic - traded @ 32k miles.. lost interest

- 06 Redfire 6i Sport - traded @ 102,611 miles, trouble-free motoring and fun!
post #18 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 2
I saw a Fusion on the road the other day and was shocked to see the taillight on the trunk did not line up with the taillight on the back of the car. Since it was moving I couldn't tell you how much it was off by, but it was definitely off. I would not take delivery of a car that looked like that.

By comparison, the engine light and warning on my Mazda 6 does not seem like a big deal.
post #19 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Got a call from my rep today asking about general issues and letting me know about the whole check engine light issue. As mentioned by a few others, he suggested if it is a cold start, give it a minute or so to warm up, then continue to drive the car. He also mentioned that if you are going to be getting up to highway speeds (60+) and your check engine light is on, give it a few minutes to warm up initially.

From what he said, there should be a engine software update in March to address this issue.
post #20 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
2nd gen has been great for me. Most of the issues on this site are for 1st gens. But then again, that's what the majority of members own.

pbnj
White 2009 Mazda 6 i-Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page