Mazda 6 Forums banner

Real World Gas Mileage

166K views 551 replies 224 participants last post by  Benedict 
#1 ·
How are the current owner's doing, and what is your city/highway mix?

Gas mileage is one of the big selling points for me and I want to make sure it does as well as it says.

#4 · (Edited)
Speed is a big factor in determining MPG.. Following is coming from Mazda 3's test drive experience.

"It turns out that the SKYACTIV Mazda3 is especially sensitive to driving style. Driving with a very light foot, shifting short of 2,000 rpm, and paying extreme attention to impending red lights (so as to get off the gas as soon as possible), I managed a high of 41.0 mpg on my standard drive from home to the kids’ school (with a trip computer reset after the engine had warmed up). Now this is more like it!. Speed is a big factor. First, air resistance rises at the cube of velocity. Second, engine speed increases in lock step with vehicle speed, and at a certain rpm efficiency begins to fall off dramatically. Driving at a steady 78 mpg, the trip computer reported 30.6 (again close to my nearly decade-old Protege5). Drop ten mph, and the number ticked up to 31.3. Drop down to 62, and it took a larger jump, to 33.6. Perhaps at the double nickel the promised 37 would materialize—but I just can’t drive 55! The implication is clear – the EPA highway figure is only going to happen at speeds much lower than most of us drive."

Source: Mazda3 SKYACTIV: The Truth Behind The EPA Fuel Economy Numbers | The Truth About Cars

But again, I guess this is going to be the case with every car.. Not just Mazdas with Skyactiv Technology.

#8 ·
Car and Driver found much better results in their Fun at 40 article. Shows the Skyactiv 3 achieving 40 mpg at up to a constant 76 mph, and even more at slightly lower speeds. I get the feeling the new 6 will likely have higher variance between steady speeds and multiple acceleration events at speed versus the old 6, but that is due to the larger gear spacing and how efficient they have made this engine/transmission combo.

Reactions: Lweendo10
#6 ·
Using fueleconomy.gov also would be good, as they have better definition between different engines, transmissions, et al of the same model year. No neat sig yet though. The more data the better!

#16 ·
I am going on a trip next week will let you know what i see when it's all highway. One thing I have noticed i that the first quarter of a tank goes alot slower than the last thee quarters. that just might be the gauge. I also have been doing alot of "spirted driving and stop and go in the city so can't get an accuarte gauge on mpg yet I think it's about 25mpg with the way i'm driving I'm getting close to 500 miles now had it two weeks

#23 ·
Consider yourself lucky. My 03 v6 gets 18-19MPG doing 60-40 split on city-highway (errand driving). Best I get on 95% highway driving is about 24MPG. I love the power of my 6S, work remote so not commuting daily (only have 65K on it).

Trying to hold out until i-ELOOP is available, hoping it becomes standard on next year's model (or at leat the GT). I want that new 6 Skyactiv engine to be able to shine power-wise before I decide on the Mazda 6 (Touring w/Tech or GT), Kia Optima SX, or Hyundai Azera for my next car.

#238 · (Edited)
A week or so ago I pulled up to a pump where the 87 wasn't available, so I put in 89 and the gas mileage was much better, so I'm continuing to use it. I do have the 3.7L V6 engine and before this, I was averaging 20 mpg mostly surface streets and crawling freeway commutes. I do tend to have a lead foot when necessary, so I'm sure that,as well as the larger engine displacement, contributes to the lower mpg.

#26 ·
After my first fill-up, I got 420 miles, broken down as follows:

- 65% Highway, 35% City
- Drove speed limit and gentle acceleration for the first half of the tank, followed by... spirited driving on the 2nd half of the tank. :lol:
- It was below freezing the entire time which might impact a little bit of fuel economy.
- The on-board monitor says 27.5 MPG average. Average speed was about 28 MPH.

Fueled up last night, and plan on driving conservatively to see the max range I can get. On the 3rd fill-up, I'll drive race-car style. :D

#37 ·
I want to see a breakdown of what this car gets at actual constant speeds. I test drove one and with the cruise set to 77 ish, it seemed to be not much higher than 30 mpg. That was a quick observation though, and it was difficult to gauge based on the instant readout bouncing between 25-50, even on what appeared to be flat highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.