Real World Gas Mileage - Page 13 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bziko98 View Post
Why not just walk? or ride a bicycle?
Actually I did that for 8 months. My old 93 Crown Victoria died and basically waited for the 2014 to come out with the price I wanted to pay. Maybe I could roller skate to work instead. Lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
I bought a 2014 mazda 6 and have gotten 19mpg on my first two tanks. I drive 90-100% city with 15-17 mph avg speed. I drive less than 3 mi on most trips and live/work in a very hilly area. Is the severe drop in mpg normal for these conditions or should I bring it into the dealer?
I did an experiment for you this morning... it was certainly on a larger scale than 3 miles, but I filled up in town before I drove up the mountain. 1 mile in small town driving (40mph and a couple stop lights) 1/2 mile 55MPH level ground 5 miles up the curvy steep mountain (55-60MPH). Averaged 24MPG on that trip, and I adopted my old driving habits for all of it which were pretty abusive (abrupt excel and a not so light foot), and dare I say I enjoyed it LOL. I also want to add that this did not include ANY downhill driving. Check your tire pressures maybe? That's not a huge difference, could simply be driving style/ # of redlights

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
The Following User Says Thank You to RacingTiger03 For This Useful Post:
spekkio (05-07-2013)
post #123 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I live on top of a steep hill that has a 5%ish incline for about a mile and a stop sign or light every 1/5mile, so I don't get to save economy on the way down and only get up to 30mph on it if I'm lucky. When I get up to 40-50mph it's on a flat run on the way to work.

I tried driving more gas conscious by coasting to stop signs uphill and coasting downhill and it's at 23-25 mpg now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 3
I've been getting very good gas mileage. Most of my driving is highway. During the week, I drive about 10 miles on a 55 MPH road (usually going 5-10 above), and then about 5 miles on roads ranging from 25-45, again going a bit above. On the weekends I often drive to visit my girlfriend, and most of that driving is on 55-65 MPH highways (but you might as well just assume 65 the whole way since the 55 area is near Boston and no one drives anything close to that low). And again, I usually go a few MPH over 65...

The car has been getting consistently better gas mileage since I got it, and at around 3000 miles on the odometer, I got 35.7/35.6 (calculated/odometer reading) MPG. I had made a conscious effort to go no more than 60 MPH and my girlfriend drove down to see me so I didn't have any of the higher speed highway driving I often do. I also use cruise control pretty much anytime I can.

The current tank I've decided to stay at 55 MPH on the main highway into work (which is the speed limit) to see how much of a difference that makes. I actually got above 40 (up to 40.4) for a short period, but now down to 39.6. I'm curious to know whether that's real or if the odometer reading is off... If so, I'm getting BETTER MPG than the car is rated for...
post #125 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler View Post
I've been getting very good gas mileage. Most of my driving is highway. During the week, I drive about 10 miles on a 55 MPH road (usually going 5-10 above), and then about 5 miles on roads ranging from 25-45, again going a bit above. On the weekends I often drive to visit my girlfriend, and most of that driving is on 55-65 MPH highways (but you might as well just assume 65 the whole way since the 55 area is near Boston and no one drives anything close to that low). And again, I usually go a few MPH over 65...

The car has been getting consistently better gas mileage since I got it, and at around 3000 miles on the odometer, I got 35.7/35.6 (calculated/odometer reading) MPG. I had made a conscious effort to go no more than 60 MPH and my girlfriend drove down to see me so I didn't have any of the higher speed highway driving I often do. I also use cruise control pretty much anytime I can.

The current tank I've decided to stay at 55 MPH on the main highway into work (which is the speed limit) to see how much of a difference that makes. I actually got above 40 (up to 40.4) for a short period, but now down to 39.6. I'm curious to know whether that's real or if the odometer reading is off... If so, I'm getting BETTER MPG than the car is rated for...
Sounds very likely to me, my short jaunts around the 40-60MPG range consistently show current averages north of 50MPG, which would easily equate a 40MPG drive with starts/stops and traffic lights

Though oddly enough my MPG is down on this tank for some reason, I did stop at a different gas station.. I'm going to swap back to the usual before I start pointing fingers, but my car just got an update that seemed to boost MPG for the rest of the tank it was on, but it's way down now it seems. I've been fighting to maintain my usual 36+...

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #126 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
finally got some seriously impressive gas mileage!!

last night i drove home from asheville nc..(to raleigh)..all highway 38.6 mpg
love this car

post #127 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
finally got some seriously impressive gas mileage!!

last night i drove home from asheville nc..(to raleigh)..all highway 38.6 mpg
love this car
Nice!

That definitely beat my 2nd Gen V6, my best is 30.7 mpg on a trip from Chicago to St. Louis.

Tom

post #128 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:33 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am looking at the new 6 and its high on my list, and one of the few non-hybrids. I know this is a stretch, but are there any previous hybrid owners out there and what kind of numbers they are getting?
I currently get 45 MPG on a Honda CR-Z lease which is up early next year. The MPG is one of the few redeeming values of the car. I consistently beat EPA values and I have been encouraged by some of the results I have seen posted here.
post #129 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barry View Post
I am looking at the new 6 and its high on my list, and one of the few non-hybrids. I know this is a stretch, but are there any previous hybrid owners out there and what kind of numbers they are getting?
I currently get 45 MPG on a Honda CR-Z lease which is up early next year. The MPG is one of the few redeeming values of the car. I consistently beat EPA values and I have been encouraged by some of the results I have seen posted here.
Had a 2010 Nissan Altima Hybrid for a while rated 35/33, 30.5 mpg life of car. With 2k on the Mazda 6, 31mpg , with the start/stop i-Eloop it would do better as I do 70city/30hwy.

2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Liquid Silver
post #130 of 464 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move.Over View Post
Had a 2010 Nissan Altima Hybrid for a while rated 35/33, 30.5 mpg life of car. With 2k on the Mazda 6, 31mpg , with the start/stop i-Eloop it would do better as I do 70city/30hwy.
I rented an Altima hybrid once and only got 28 MPG with mostly highway driving. It was really disappointing!

Just curious--Has anyone tried running a few tanks of premium to see if it makes a difference in mileage or performance? (I promise to try this myself if I end up buying one.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page